Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lizling
    • By Lizling 30th May 13, 9:45 PM
    • 852Posts
    • 1,588Thanks
    Lizling
    Solid wood/Composite/uPVC door?
    • 30th May 13, 9:45 PM
    Solid wood/Composite/uPVC door? 30th May 13 at 9:45 PM
    Is there really much difference in terms of security?

I've had 3 quotes for solid wood front doors and they've all been over £1000 (including fitting), which seems a lot! Are they really worth the extra compared to other sorts of doors?
    Saving for deposit: Finished!
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
Page 2
    • JWhite
    • By JWhite 19th Nov 13, 3:37 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    JWhite
    We are looking at replacing our front door and side window too and my sister has had a composite front door and paid £1100 with 10% off which I thought was expensive but she thought was competitive. I have only had one quote at the moment and they quoted me £13-1400 for the door and side panel which I thought was expensive.

I have also read that there are two types of composite door, one foam filled and the other wood inside which is supposed to be the superior quality one.

Does anyone know what the differences are and whether paying for the superior one is worthwhile ?
    • smudger1964
    • By smudger1964 19th Nov 13, 3:44 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    smudger1964
    I used these people for my composite door http://www.valuedoorsuk.co.uk/composite-doors.php
    all there prices are fitted so it is easy to compare styles and colours and security options..As someone said earlier rockdoors are the best which is what I had fitted
    this youtube video shows the different types of filling to doors that are used and the security of each http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eEutih06o4
    Last edited by smudger1964; 19-11-2013 at 4:22 PM.
    • JWhite
    • By JWhite 19th Nov 13, 6:57 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    JWhite
    I used these people for my composite door http://www.valuedoorsuk.co.uk/composite-doors.php
    all there prices are fitted so it is easy to compare styles and colours and security options..As someone said earlier rockdoors are the best which is what I had fitted
    this youtube video shows the different types of filling to doors that are used and the security of each http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eEutih06o4
    Originally posted by smudger1964
    Very impressive and does go some way to show people what they are buying. I have found when asking some suppliers about how their doors are made they are evasive. To me that seems like they don't want you to know and instead use their sales speel to try and convince you they sell quality doors, but will not tell you what they are made of and neither does their brochures. A good quality door manufacturer is only too happy to tell you how the door is made and what legislation and standards in the industry it meets.

I have now asked a company my sister used who sells doors made by Solidor which are supposed to be market leaders and who sell to large housing organisations, for a quote from them.
    • thebaldwindowfitter
    • By thebaldwindowfitter 20th Nov 13, 4:17 PM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    thebaldwindowfitter

I have now asked a company my sister used who sells doors made by Solidor which are supposed to be market leaders and who sell to large housing organisations, for a quote from them.
    Originally posted by JWhite
    Solidor are not the best composite doors they have a timber core (http://www.solidor.co.uk/specification )which makes them prone to warping something you must have overlooked .My recommendation is Rockdoors
    Last edited by thebaldwindowfitter; 20-11-2013 at 4:22 PM.
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
    • DirectDebacle
    • By DirectDebacle 20th Nov 13, 4:33 PM
    • 2,027 Posts
    • 2,177 Thanks
    DirectDebacle
    Mixed views on composite doors here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3168056

Quality wooden frame and door is hard to beat.
    • JWhite
    • By JWhite 20th Nov 13, 5:07 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    JWhite
    Mixed views on composite doors here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3168056

Quality wooden frame and door is hard to beat.
    Originally posted by DirectDebacle
    Which is what I have, so perhaps I should just stick with what I have - a hardwood front door, but I wanted something which retained the heat in the house and was well insulated and you always get draughts with wooden doors.

Seems you can't win no matter how much you pay or what you buy
    • DRP
    • By DRP 20th Nov 13, 7:31 PM
    • 3,906 Posts
    • 3,374 Thanks
    DRP
    Composite. I've had 2 and no complaints.
  • BigSteve474
    Door insulation
    I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about external doors and insulation
    My research suggests that solid wooden doors have the lowest insulation, PVC the next better, and composite doors the best. Obviously quality and thickness will affect all of these.

I will try and get back with the actual figures I found
    • leveller2911
    • By leveller2911 12th Nov 14, 5:21 PM
    • 7,540 Posts
    • 13,939 Thanks
    leveller2911
    I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about external doors and insulation
    My research suggests that solid wooden doors have the lowest insulation, PVC the next better, and composite doors the best. Obviously quality and thickness will affect all of these.

I will try and get back with the actual figures I found
    Originally posted by BigSteve474

Will be interesting to see your "research".....
    • Rollerlady
    • By Rollerlady 18th Mar 16, 11:17 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Rollerlady
    Furts' comment about the effects of the weather on doors/ protection from porches is spot on. Our composite front door is 7 years old and is cracked and the finish is coming off much like varnish would peel off. I've contacted the manufacturer for advice on refinishing as it only had a 5 year guarantee unlike the 10 year guarantee on the windows. Think about the weathering your door will receive and ask lots of questions about the durability of the finish. At least with a wooden door you can repaint....
    • lancette
    • By lancette 15th Nov 16, 6:01 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lancette
    Solid wood/Composite/uPVC door
    uPVC windows and doors shows long lasting durability & optimum security feature. This is actual key for everyone. And make your property stylish and attractive. uPVC is non-conductive & less noisy material, help for both internal temperature & reduce the noise in building . It is enable, you to capture more natural sunlight into your interior, which can also help you lower your heating costs during cold, sunny mornings.
    • OFark
    • By OFark 9th Jun 17, 12:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    OFark
    A Solid core door and a Composite door have two distinct differences; 1) Composite Doors have a stiff foam interior, and Solid core doors are basically plywood, really thick plywood, but still basically plywood. and 2) Composite doors are better thermally insulated. Solid Core doors provide less thermal protection, it's till good enough for regulations, but the glass is better thermally than the door, so you have to have thermally insulated glass. You also need much better (stronger) hinges to hold the weight. Solid core doors can weigh upto 80kg including frame.This is what drives the cost up. Solid Core doors aren't going to warp because it's cross bonded ply. Both are covered in a GRP skin, so weathering isn't going to be a problem. Composite GRP Door is rated at 25 years, a Solid core door at 35.
    • myslef
    • By myslef 9th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    myslef
    Wood is a beautiful material (smell, look and feel), but it is complex and high maintenance. Wood is a natural product and it will shrink and swell according to humidity and solid wood is expensive. Engineered doors are by far the most commonly sold type of door so they are more prolific in availability and they are generally cheaper than solid doors.
    worldinteriors.co.uk
    • Private Church
    • By Private Church 9th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    Private Church
    Wood is a beautiful material (smell, look and feel), but it is complex and high maintenance. Wood is a natural product and it will shrink and swell according to humidity and solid wood is expensive. Engineered doors are by far the most commonly sold type of door so they are more prolific in availability and they are generally cheaper than solid doors.
    Originally posted by myslef
    Wow this is an old thread thats been dug up but I will just say that Accoya doesn't swell,shrink or rot but is expensive. Its also worth noting that a door constructed from European Oak can last for centuries but we will never see a Upvc or Composite door lasting centuries..........By the way an "Engineered" can be solid timber its just constructed from sections of solid timber laminated up to form and door stile or rail which makes it very stable.
    "If we in Parliament cannot gain personally then there is very little point in us being here"

: Lord Manchester addressing Parliament around 1649.......
    • Chanes
    • By Chanes 9th Jun 17, 11:47 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    Chanes
    Over the years and moves we have had five Rockdoor Ultimates fitted and loved them. The first one we had fitted still looks as good as the day it was fitted and it faced the sun all afternoon without ever causing a problem. When you have a composite fitted the UPVC doors seem really bad. I can't remember the last wood door we had being a problem but that was long ago.
    • Robert983
    • By Robert983 29th Jun 17, 12:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Robert983
    Composite doors
    I'm in the trade and have sold/installed all types of these doors in my experience composite doors are made from grp which the colour will fade over time.they do warp and the timber core ones do swell with water ingress though the glazing cassettes.
    I would recommend ROCKDOORS as they are by far the best available.
    Best for energy efficiency
    Best for security
    And are pvc skins not grp,each door is made from scratch (not like composites which are a slab chopped down to the size of the door! )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

99Posts Today

1,650Users online

Martin's Twitter