Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Benefits & Tax Credits > Can two disabled people living at the same addres... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can two disabled people living at the same address both get DLA?
Closed Thread
Views: 3,213
# 1
studentphil
Old 25-05-2007, 10:39 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Doubly Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Default Can two disabled people living at the same address both get DLA?

Say two disabled are married or live together, can they still both claim DLA in their own right?
# 2
limpy-jim
Old 25-05-2007, 10:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I would have thought they could.
The Following User Says Thank You to limpy-jim For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
ohreally
Old 25-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Yes, they can.
Imagination is a mental faculty that serves as a coping mechanism for those who can't or won't accept reality - unicorns and dragons and wives who don't nag, are all figments of the "imagination".
The Following User Says Thank You to ohreally For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
healy
Old 25-05-2007, 11:10 PM

Yes because the two claims are not connected.
The Following User Says Thank You to healy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Sultana
Old 26-05-2007, 9:02 AM
MoneySaving Convert

It's also possible for both to be awarded carers allowance for looking after each other.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sultana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Hapless
Old 26-05-2007, 9:06 AM

Location: In a village somewhere so rural in devon it doesn't show up on sat nav

YES I get DLA as does my daughter, I also claim carers for my daughter and my husband is about to claim carers for me, as advised by jobcentre plus.
The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
grocery challenge...Budget 420

Wk 1 27.10
Wk 2 78.06
Wk 3 163.06
Wk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to Hapless For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Penny-Pincher!!
Old 26-05-2007, 9:53 AM

Yes you can on both counts. If you both claim CA you will benefit from the carers premium if on IS.

PP
xx
To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
requires brains!
The Following User Says Thank You to Penny-Pincher!! For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
emmie1234
Old 26-05-2007, 10:04 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hiya, I am a carer to my daughter and as my husband has recently become out of work, I claimed income support for both of us. I recieve the carers premium too, but the amount of carers allowance I recieve is subtracted from the amount of income support I get. So I get 48.65 per week carers allowance and 71.30 income support. Hope this helps.
Marriages are made in heaven, but then again so is thunder and lightning!!!.....getting divorced lol

Trying to "up" my income and rookie oldstyler
The Following User Says Thank You to emmie1234 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
welshcakes
Old 26-05-2007, 12:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I understand why people are wary about having DLA and CA for each other as it can appear to the 'outside world' to be a conradiction in terms ie how come a person is so ill as to need DLA yet they are concurrently well enough to be a Carer.

However, it is not as straight forward as that as many of us who live with disablility as a part of our daily lives, understand all too well. The problem is that someone who is disabled to such a degree as to qualify for DLA is automatically assumed to be physically incapacitated so badly that they can't do anything ... but disability doesn't come in one size or flavour.

It can be physical or mental or both.
It can restrict throughout the day or just whilst performing certain essential tasks.
It can be predictable or sporadic.

My partner gets higher rate DLA and I have just applied for CA after 18mths of postponing as I felt it was my moral and loving duty to care for him and I felt guilty accepting a benefit payment for doing it. However, whilst I don't argue that the DLA he receives is a good ££ amount, the amount it costs to live our lifestyle around his disability is high maintenance.

I gave up work to care for him and there is nothing we would wish harder for than for him to be well again so that I could go back into the workforce instead of relying on a benefit handout to just about manage to pay the bills. DLA does not translate as an 'easy freebie' - our family's income (and therefore standard of living) is considered below the government's poverty line for a UK household.

Society doesn't hear much about the plight of a Carer - though I'm pleased that the issue of young (child) carers is gaining more publicity during the last 18 months. It's a bl**dy gruelling way to spend your life and it can be exhausting mentally, emotionally and physically which is why so many long term Carers end up on anti depressants and a diet of paracetomol and quick snack diets.
Integrity is a dying art!

Last edited by welshcakes; 26-05-2007 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Edited as my grammar is quite appalling when I go on a rant!
The Following User Says Thank You to welshcakes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Morglin
Old 26-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Yes, they can.

We do.

We don't claim as carers for each other, (no point, as it overlaps with RP and IB), but I think that "emotional support" is part of the criteria, so wouldn't necessarily be a contradiction.

Lin
You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset.
The Following User Says Thank You to Morglin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Morglin
Old 26-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by studentphil View Post
Say two disabled are married or live together, can they still both claim DLA in their own right?

Phil,

Why don't you just claim DLA for yourself, and stop worrying about what happens if you are married?

Lin :rolleyes:
You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset.
The Following User Says Thank You to Morglin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Hapless
Old 26-05-2007, 4:05 PM

Location: In a village somewhere so rural in devon it doesn't show up on sat nav

Quote:
I understand why people are wary about having DLA and CA for each other as it can appear to the 'outside world' to be a conradiction in terms ie how come a person is so ill as to need DLA yet they are concurrently well enough to be a Carer.
Exactly, I get DLA for the effects of fibromyalgia, yet I am carer for my daughter, but the care my daughter needs is literally just having someone with her just "in case".
The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
grocery challenge...Budget 420

Wk 1 27.10
Wk 2 78.06
Wk 3 163.06
Wk 4
# 13
real1314
Old 27-05-2007, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morglin View Post
Yes, they can.

We do.

We don't claim as carers for each other, (no point, as it overlaps with RP and IB), but I think that "emotional support" is part of the criteria, so wouldn't necessarily be a contradiction.

Lin
If you did claim CA for each other, you might then qualify for IS/Pension Credit as each of you would be allowed a Carer's Premium (apporx 25 each) in the calculation, even though CA would not actually be paid (it is referred to as "underlying entitlement"). Also 2 disabled people both getting higher (or medium?) rate DLA care would each be entitled to a Severe Disability Premium under IS/Pension Credit calcs.
Closed Thread