Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 21st May 13, 5:31 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?
    • 21st May 13, 5:31 PM
    MSE News: Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers? 21st May 13 at 5:31 PM
    "Over half a million O2 and BE broadband and home phone customers are now Sky customers, we break down what this means..."

Read the full story:

Sky takes over O2 and Be broadband: What does this mean for customers?

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 54
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 22nd Feb 17, 3:26 PM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 2,988 Thanks
    gardner1
    Hello I called 03300413979. Spoke to a really helpful lady
    Originally posted by nod149
    Best I could get was £10 a month broadband only which isn't to bad as I had a couple of years free after o2 last 2 years have been £5.00 and £7.50 and it was going up to £15 in march so £10 will do especially as we use 500gb a month what with sons ps4 and 2 now TV boxes used most days
    Last edited by gardner1; 22-02-2017 at 5:38 PM.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 22nd Feb 17, 3:44 PM
    • 7,564 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    Stompa
    Best I could get was £10 a month broadband only which isn't to bad as I had a couple of years free after o2 last 2 years have been £7.50 and it was going up to £15 in march so £10 will do especially as we use 500gb a month what with sons ps4 and 2 now TV boxes used most days
    Originally posted by gardner1
    I called the same number, and wasn't offered anything.
    • spud17
    • By spud17 2nd Mar 17, 11:11 AM
    • 4,189 Posts
    • 1,926 Thanks
    spud17
    Ex O2 BB moved onto Sky.
    I've let my BT line rental saver lapse to get back in sync with BB from Sky, so hoping for better deal.
    Sky deal was £7.50 now rising to £10 and 12 months up in a few days time.
    The premium of fibre over adsl seems to have shrunk in recent months.
    I'm going to see what Sky can offer, but am seriously considering the Uswitch Virgin deal, £25/mth + £14.99 set up.
    https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/splash/16328?_cid=155074371&listname=Broadband+-+Broadband+%26+Home+Phone+Deals

I had VM years 10 years ago, so already cabled.
    After 10+ years on here, for the first time, I've been forced to put 2 usernames on my ignore list, in reality it's just one person ignored.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 2nd Mar 17, 4:53 PM
    • 7,564 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    Stompa
    I'm going to see what Sky can offer
    Originally posted by spud17
    I also have landline with BT and BB with Sky, and despite calling them several times they've refused to offer me any sort of deal. However, today I received an email from them, offering Sky Broadband Unlimited free for a year if I switch my landline to them, so (currently) £18.99pm.

So essentially this:

http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-unlimited/

but without the £75 pre-paid mastercard.

I'm quite tempted, better the devil you know etc....
    Stompa
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 2nd Mar 17, 5:24 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I also have landline with BT and BB with Sky, and despite calling them several times they've refused to offer me any sort of deal. However, today I received an email from them, offering Sky Broadband Unlimited free for a year if I switch my landline to them, so (currently) £18.99pm.

So essentially this:

Originally posted by Stompa
    Personally I'd push for the £75 Master card too, you never know unless you ask.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 2nd Mar 17, 5:26 PM
    • 7,564 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    Stompa
    Personally I'd push for the £75 Master card too, you never know unless you ask.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Yes, I was planning on giving them a call to see if they could offer any extras! Though given my past experience I'm not overly optimistic.
    Stompa
    • spenderdave
    • By spenderdave 2nd Mar 17, 6:01 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    spenderdave
    Recently renewed my BT LRS so can't really take up their free broadband offer.... The offer was a bit confusing as nowhere did it say if I accepted it my landline would be moved over, only implied when you read the terms and conditions.

I am sticking with BT for phone anyway, Sky is identical line rental and since they don't do LRS definitely more expensive. With Ofcom now talking about telling BT to reduce their landline rental by £5 for non-broadband customers this will be most definitely cheaper even taking Sky's broadband increase.

And yes, they refused to budge on the phone when I asked them to remove the supplements for not having phone or TV.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 2nd Mar 17, 9:06 PM
    • 7,564 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    Stompa
    The offer was a bit confusing as nowhere did it say if I accepted it my landline would be moved over, only implied when you read the terms and conditions.
    Originally posted by spenderdave
    I agree, I found that rather odd too.
    Stompa
    • spud17
    • By spud17 2nd Mar 17, 9:14 PM
    • 4,189 Posts
    • 1,926 Thanks
    spud17

So essentially this:

Recently renewed my BT LRS so can't really take up their free broadband offer.... The offer was a bit confusing as nowhere did it say if I accepted it my landline would be moved over, only implied when you read the terms and conditions.

I am sticking with BT for phone anyway, Sky is identical line rental and since they don't do LRS definitely more expensive. With Ofcom now talking about telling BT to reduce their landline rental by £5 for non-broadband customers this will be most definitely cheaper even taking Sky's broadband increase.

And yes, they refused to budge on the phone when I asked them to remove the supplements for not having phone or TV.
    A couple of user names I recognise.
    I can live with adsl at 6Mbps, I can't recall any loss of service in all the time I've been with them, although in my case slightly slower than O2.
    spenderdave, a very good point about BT line rental and one I'd overlooked.
    More thinking required.
    After 10+ years on here, for the first time, I've been forced to put 2 usernames on my ignore list, in reality it's just one person ignored.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 3rd Mar 17, 1:12 PM
    • 7,564 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    Stompa
    spenderdave, a very good point about BT line rental and one I'd overlooked.
    Originally posted by spud17
    Me too. Ofcom seem to be suggesting a cut of £5-£7 in BT line rental, reducing it to £12-£14. With a 10% LRS discount this would be £10.80-£12.60.

Given that currently there are various combined line rental & unlimited broadband deals in the range £18-£20, I'm not sure there's much to be saved. You'd need to find a pretty cheap unlimited broadband only deal, and I'm not sure there are many of those out there. For me, Sky won't reduce it below £15.
    Stompa
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 3rd Mar 17, 4:48 PM
    • 7,892 Posts
    • 4,703 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Sky used to charge £15 with no other service, giving £5 off if you had their line and another £2.50 if you had tv.

They now say you don't need to have tv, but they have removed the tv discount (to the disadvantage of those with tv), making two prices;£10 with line or £15 without (though the latter will only be for existing customers, as they no longer offer standalone).
    • spud17
    • By spud17 5th Mar 17, 8:47 PM
    • 4,189 Posts
    • 1,926 Thanks
    spud17
    Just putting up the result of my pleasant conversation this afternoon.

Tried 03300413979 from further up thread, robot said very busy and a long wait.
    Called number on bottom of end of deal notification email, 03448 244 450, spoke to robot and was talking to CS within a minute.
    I'm currently paying £7.50/mth, I will lose my £5/mth discount and also the price will rise by £2.50, so I shall be paying £15/mth.
    If I move phone over to Sky I can have unlimited adsl for £24/mth all in.
    I asked about unlimited fibre, £30/mth all in.
    Both deals are "Pay as you call" i.e. no call package at all. Packages start at £3/mth.
    Figures are to nearest £ for simplicity.
    I said that I was considering the Virgin deal at £25/mth +£14.99.
    I was immediately offered a £30 credit.

I need to do some more number crunching bearing in mind any cashback.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 8th Mar 17, 4:57 PM
    • 7,564 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    Stompa
    FWIW I've just spoken to Sky about this, who seemed equally puzzled. They suggested I click on the button to accept the offer and see what happens, and that it would either not work, or give me free broadband for a year. So far it looks like I've got free broadband, and my landline remains with BT. I need to wait a few days to see if it shows up on my account. It's very bizarre!
    Stompa
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Mar 17, 9:21 AM
    • 832 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    FWIW I've just spoken to Sky about this, who seemed equally puzzled. They suggested I click on the button to accept the offer and see what happens, and that it would either not work, or give me free broadband for a year. So far it looks like I've got free broadband, and my landline remains with BT. I need to wait a few days to see if it shows up on my account. It's very bizarre!
    Your account is usually updated immediately.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 9th Mar 17, 1:20 PM
    • 7,564 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    Stompa
    Your account is usually updated immediately.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    This is what they said on the offer page:

What do I need to do once I've taken this offer?

You don't need to do anything. The offer you have taken will be live on your account within 3 days. Once the offer is processed you will receive a confirmation email and the offer will appear on your account. We'll automatically remove the offer at the end of its specified period.

and they reiterated that verbally when I called them. No sign of a change so far, and no confirmation email received.
    Stompa
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 13th Mar 17, 5:36 PM
    • 7,564 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    Stompa
    Well FWIW it appears I wasn't eligible for the offer after all. They have now agreed to give me free BB if I switch my landline to them (12 month contract). Quite why it requires a 55 minute phone call to achieve that though is beyond me!
    Stompa
    • spenderdave
    • By spenderdave 13th Mar 17, 6:03 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    spenderdave
    Well FWIW it appears I wasn't eligible for the offer after all. They have now agreed to give me free BB if I switch my landline to them (12 month contract). Quite why it requires a 55 minute phone call to achieve that though is beyond me!
    Which is exactly what I decided. In my case with BT line rental paid for another 10 months and effectively a one year contract the last thing I want is for Sky to take over my phone line...
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 13th Mar 17, 6:25 PM
    • 7,564 Posts
    • 3,653 Thanks
    Stompa
    Which is exactly what I decided. In my case with BT line rental paid for another 10 months and effectively a one year contract the last thing I want is for Sky to take over my phone line...
    Indeed. Fortunately, my BT LRS expired a couple of weeks ago.
    Stompa
    • WhichWayNow
    • By WhichWayNow 23rd Mar 17, 11:45 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    WhichWayNow
    Looking back at my happy posts circa 2009, when I first joined O2...my god, I never had it so good! £5 a month for BB, as long as I topped up my PAYG mobile by £10 quarterly, with no poxy line rental to care about.

8 years on and I'm on the same unlimited BB, connection speed now paying £17.50 a month. This is as good as it gets.

Forgive me, just sounding off....
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 24th Mar 17, 12:14 AM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 18,275 Thanks
    mije1983
    No line rental? Don't remember that when I was with O2......

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,468Posts Today

7,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin