Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • m33r4
    • By m33r4 18th May 13, 1:22 PM
    • 479Posts
    • 337Thanks
    m33r4
    Vinyl car wrap - worth doing?
    • 18th May 13, 1:22 PM
    Vinyl car wrap - worth doing? 18th May 13 at 1:22 PM
    Bought a red coloured VW Golf. The roof of the car has faded considerably. I have G3 cut it but the results are disappointing. Next option (cheaply) would be a vinyl wrap. I am contemplating a black carbon fibre roof wrap with matching wing mirrors.

Anyone with experience of this car enhancement please?
    How good does it look, how resilient is it to the elements?
    How long does it last?
    Does it peel off leaving unsightly paintwork?
    Plus any other input would be welcomed.

PS: I have seen pics of an R8 wrapped in chrome vinyl and that looked amazing
Page 3
  • Tuppence2015
    Dont waste your money. Matte Black scratches and stains very easy. And remember you cant go through a car wash with Wrap no matter what they say. If any little amount of water gets underneath its games over.

Get a body shop to professionally spray paint matte black.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 26th May 15, 12:52 PM
    • 15,788 Posts
    • 9,075 Thanks
    motorguy
    Actually I'm quite pleased this thread came up. I have a car thats not worth much but I wanted to transform it into a nice shiny jet black. To get it done in the paint shop would be around £2k. Never thought of a wrap!

Nice one op!
    Originally posted by TrickyWicky
    Depending on the value of the car and how good a job you want done you should be able to get a full respray from £500 upwards. Certainly £750 if you shop around.

Also, dont forget a wrap covers the car warts and and all - any rusty bits, dings and significant scratches will be able to be seen post wrapping.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • photome
    • By photome 25th Aug 15, 6:56 AM
    • 12,817 Posts
    • 8,296 Thanks
    photome
    Dont waste your money. Matte Black scratches and stains very easy. And remember you cant go through a car wash with Wrap no matter what they say. If any little amount of water gets underneath its games over.

Get a body shop to professionally spray paint matte black.
    Originally posted by Tuppence2015
    Just read ths thread for the first time so glad it was resurrected.

why does the fact that you cant go through a car wash put anyone off

I always wash by hand and so do most people who care about their cars paintwork/vinyl
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 25th Aug 15, 11:31 AM
    • 23,982 Posts
    • 50,732 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    I'm not a fan of clear bra's .
    Originally posted by atrixblue.-MFR-.

Oh, I don't know........
    • tberry6686
    • By tberry6686 9th Sep 16, 8:06 AM
    • 970 Posts
    • 926 Thanks
    tberry6686
    So you registered and dug up a year old thread to say how good a company is ? Wouldn't be your employer/own company would it by any chance ?

Not even clever spam - US company - UK forum doh
    Last edited by tberry6686; 09-09-2016 at 8:08 AM. Reason: added a bit
    • cally6008
    • By cally6008 10th Sep 16, 10:58 PM
    • 7,437 Posts
    • 11,223 Thanks
    cally6008
    Would you wrap your car in Velvet ?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3783030/Porsche-Panamera-spotted-central-London-black-VELVET-coating.html

• Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 6th Dec 17, 8:07 AM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • Car fiber wraps is customized shield of protection ......
    Originally posted by anthony_hartley

You've dug up a thread from over a year ago ? And judging from your spelling, you're from the other side of the pond ?

Go on then - how much do you charge to provide us with your wonderful service ? I just hope your wrapping skills are somewhat superior to your grammar skills.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 6th Dec 17, 7:38 PM
    • 26,204 Posts
    • 10,460 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • Car fiber wraps is customized shield of protection, it adds style and luxury to your ride.
    Wrapping the body of a car with carbon fibre wraps lends vehicle an edgy look if it is done well
    Using carbon fiber wrapping provides you opportunity to do some deep cleaning.
    • Also the little cleanser and polishing make your car looking new and appealing
    . Wrapping with car fiber gives you choices.
    Appearances of vehicle can be enhanced and modified at much cheaper price as compared to custom paint job.
    • As long as correct techniques surface beneath with not get damaged
    It might last for 5-7 years
    To your ride? You wrap bicycles? We drive cars in the UK we dont ride them.

Wrapping with carbon fibre makes you look a wally, edgy look? You mean people look at your car edgeways and snigger?

Opportunity for some deep cleaning. and then your going to cover it with some cheap crappy sticky back plastic?

Cheaper than a paint job, not always, but crappier than one 100%.

Might last 5 - 7 years? A cars original paint will look as good as new after 20 years if you wash it once or twice a year.

Congratulations on telling us all how really stupid it would be to wrap our cars.
    Really hope your not in the wrapping business.

Last edited by forgotmyname; 06-12-2017 at 7:42 PM.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 6th Dec 17, 8:45 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    docmatt
    • Car fiber wraps is customized shield of protection, it adds style and luxury to your ride.
    • Wrapping the body of a car with carbon fibre wraps lends vehicle an edgy look if it is done well
    • Using carbon fiber wrapping provides you opportunity to do some deep cleaning.
    • Also the little cleanser and polishing make your car looking new and appealing. Wrapping with car fiber gives you choices.
    • Appearances of vehicle can be enhanced and modified at much cheaper price as compared to custom paint job.
    • As long as correct techniques surface beneath with not get damaged
    • It might last for 5-7 years

Gtfo......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,986Posts Today

10,224Users online

Martin's Twitter