Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • inmypocketnottheirs
    • By inmypocketnottheirs 21st May 07, 7:46 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 2,159 Thanks
    inmypocketnottheirs
    • 21st May 07, 7:46 PM
    • 21st May 07, 7:46 PM
    Actually the best way to get a cheque stopped for free is to say it went missing in the post!

If you want to stop a whole cheque book, just say you have lost it, probably on a visit to a large shopping centre, i.e. Trafford, Metro, Brents Cross, Bullring etc.

Banks will always stop a lost cheque book or a cheque that has gone astray in the post free of charge.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
    • derrick
    • By derrick 22nd May 07, 11:53 AM
    • 6,721 Posts
    • 2,189 Thanks
    derrick
    • 22nd May 07, 11:53 AM
    • 22nd May 07, 11:53 AM

Banks will always stop a lost cheque that has gone astray in the post free of charge.
    Originally posted by inmypocketnottheirs
    Not true.

Intelligent Finance charge no matter the reason
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Crabman
    • By Crabman 22nd May 07, 11:17 PM
    • 9,438 Posts
    • 6,865 Thanks
    Crabman
    • 22nd May 07, 11:17 PM
    • 22nd May 07, 11:17 PM
    Not true.

Originally posted by derrick
    Doesn't say much for "Intelligent Finance" does it

Most banks will cancel cheques lost in the post. Even if they charge, you could approach Royal Mail as they're the ones who lost it - don't expect miracles from them as they don't particularly care about customer service... :rolleyes:
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• Stephen Leak
    • 22nd May 07, 11:54 PM
    • 22nd May 07, 11:54 PM
    This can be a real problem, if you have a religious and/or moral aversion to lying, though.
  • jammiev
    • 23rd May 07, 12:08 AM
    • 23rd May 07, 12:08 AM
    done it, all free of charge.
    thanks all
    • inmypocketnottheirs
    • By inmypocketnottheirs 23rd May 07, 8:10 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 2,159 Thanks
    inmypocketnottheirs
    • 23rd May 07, 8:10 AM
    • 23rd May 07, 8:10 AM
    Not true.

Originally posted by derrick
    Bit of an oxymoron there, I mean a bank called Intelligent Finance. Plus I think, but not certain, and stand to be corrected that banks are obliged under the Banking Code to stop free of charge lost or stolen cheques.
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,296Posts Today

7,159Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sitting writing my 'how to decide how you'll vote in the EU referendum' guide - quite honestly the toughest thing I've ever written.

• RT @emcox1980: @MartinSLewis just had a cheque for £1260 after following your #flightdelay compensation guide! Thankyou!

• Anyone switched to Nationwide Flexdirect for its year's 0% overdraft? If so how big a 0% overdraft did it give you?

• Follow Martin