Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Special Occasions & other Celebrations > How much to give a Colleague as a wedding gift (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How much to give a Colleague as a wedding gift
Views: 4,653
# 1
Traceie Lou
Old 21-05-2007, 4:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default How much to give a Colleague as a wedding gift

A Colleague at work is getting married and has asked for money for wedding gifts.

We were going to have a collection at work but now everyone has said they would rather give something to her individually.

I am not going to the wedding as I am away that weekend, I am going to get her a card but don't have a lot of spare money.

How much will be reasonable to give?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
alison6692
Old 21-05-2007, 9:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

£15 ? I reckon that would be okay - But as you are not going I wouldn't even feel like you should give anything.

PS - Don't be tempted to get a bottle of champagne or anything. Very kind people who could not attend or just came in the evening gave us bottles of champagne and we ended up with 10 - eeek! I am not even that keen on champagne.

Why not just give your friend a card and maybe a little gift like this on the day Krisis Kit

HTH

Alison x
# 3
cookie54
Old 22-05-2007, 7:54 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

how about a nice card and a guest book . we went to a friends wedding and there was a guest book and people signed it and made nice comments etc but there was a note next to it saying it was a gift from so ans so who couldnot make the wedding
The Following User Says Thank You to cookie54 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Queenie
Old 22-05-2007, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceie Lou View Post
A Colleague at work is getting married and has asked for money for wedding gifts.

We were going to have a collection at work but now everyone has said they would rather give something to her individually.

I am not going to the wedding as I am away that weekend, I am going to get her a card but don't have a lot of spare money.

How much will be reasonable to give?
It's a work colleague, you won't be there, you don't have much spare money - I'd be tempted to give the happy couple a card and leave it at that!

Unless of course you are good friends who happen to be colleagues, then that would be a different matter. But, to be in a position where you are worrying about a gift for a colleague, who's wedding you won't even attend to me is gift giving gone crazy!!!

How much would you have put into the donation? If you still feel "obliged", only give that same amount.

There are no 'rules' when it comes to giving - you give what you *choose* and what *you* can afford if that is what you choose to do.

A no money touching gift could be a poem written by you enclosed in the card, if you are that way inclined with words?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Following User Says Thank You to Queenie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
seashore321
Old 22-05-2007, 3:13 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I always think it's a bit naff to ask for money. Give what you want if they like plants then give them something unusual like a green perpper plant or a curry leaf plant.

Alternatively send a card and say as you did not know what to get them you have donated x amount to a charity in their name or buy them a years bugs food or something similar at one of the adopt an animal sites.

Better still donate the money to a child getting a years schooling or cataract operation.
# 6
MRSMCAWBER
Old 25-05-2007, 11:58 AM

How about buying a nice photo frame? there are soooo many to choose from and no-one will know how much you spent - not that it should matter!!
When we got married we allready had 2 of everything as i had been living on my own and OH is a squaddie...we didnt want or expect anyything but people kept asking and in the end we said photo frames.....that way people could spend a couple of pounds to whatever they wanted..and we ended up with a great selection that has made a lovely display of our wedding day..plus they dont take up much space!!
# 7
DUKE
Old 29-05-2007, 4:13 PM

If you feel that you must send something then I'd do this for as little as 5http://savethechildren.sandbag.uk.com/ That'll teach them to be greedy
# 8
DUKE
Old 29-05-2007, 4:14 PM

Sorry the link's not working :rolleyes: Just type in Save the children then click on wish list