IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
parking eye - help!!
Views: 993
# 1
shebs
Old 04-05-2013, 1:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default parking eye - help!!

hi, i've been recieving letters from parking eye after overstaying at a car park in Derby.
i researched into parking eye on the Internet and found a previous thread of several people in the same situation on this site and they were all being advised to NOT pay the fine at all costs, as this is simply a threat - as the fine isn't from the council or the police it wasn't enforceable.
however, today I have received a letter headed 'claim form'
with a breakdown of:
amount claimed: £80.00
court fee: £25.00
solicitors costs: £50.00
total amount: £155.00

does this mean i'm being summoned to court?
i'm only 20 years old and this is quite daunting for me, do can anyone please give me factual advice of what to do now!
thank you!
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
kittiej
Old 04-05-2013, 1:16 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Is there a court stamp on it anywhere?

If you aren't sure can you scan it - taking out any ref numbers, name and address etc and post it up?

PS, age has nothing to do with it tbh as anyone of any age can be alarmed with things like this. No need to panic though.
Sealed pot challenge member number 18
Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
"It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
1 debt v 100 days £2000
The Following User Says Thank You to kittiej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
shebs
Old 04-05-2013, 1:20 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

yes it has a Northampton (CCBC) county court stamp on it...
quite scared to be honest :-(
thank you for replying!!
# 4
kittiej
Old 04-05-2013, 1:21 PM

What does it say in the particulars of claim?
1 debt v 100 days £2000
# 5
shebs
Old 04-05-2013, 1:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

claim for the monies outstanding from the defendant, as registered keeper, in relation to a Parking Charge, issued 17-10-12, for parking without authority on private land. ParkingEye?s automated number plate recognition (ANPR) system, monitoring McDonalds Derby, Kingsway, Derby De224AA captured vehicle [my registration] entering and leaving the car park, overstaying the max time.
the signage, clearly displayed at the entrance to and throughout the car park states that this is private land and that it is managed by parking eye ltd, and is a max stay site, along with other terms and conditions by which those who park on site agree to be bound. in accordance with the terms and conditions set out in the signage, the Parking Charge became payable.
Notice under the protection of freedoms act 2012 has been given under Sch 4, making the keeper liable.
I will provide the defendant with separate detailed particulars within 14 days after the service of the claim form.

signed (text removed by MSE Forum Team) - Claimants solicitor.

Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 05-05-2014 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Personal details
The Following User Says Thank You to shebs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
kittiej
Old 04-05-2013, 1:34 PM

Have you acknowledged service for this? You need to and ask that it be transferred to your local county court.

There are a number of issues which immediately come to mind but let's see what the more detailed POC says, I wouldn't want to put ideas in to their bubble headed brains.

Don't forget that just because PE say something exists or is true does not mean that this is the actual truth.
1 debt v 100 days £2000

Last edited by kittiej; 04-05-2013 at 2:03 PM.
# 7
shebs
Old 04-05-2013, 1:35 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

sorry that doesn't make sense to me, I don't understand what you mean :-(
# 8
kittiej
Old 04-05-2013, 1:39 PM

Does it say you need to acknowledge service within 14 days? If not what does it say about replying?
1 debt v 100 days £2000
# 9
nigelbb
Old 04-05-2013, 1:42 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As these look like real court papers I suggest that you go & start a thread over here http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=60 No disrespect to MSE regulars but over on PePiPoo you will get better advice on court matters & be provided with a suitable defence that will ensure that this case gets dropped.

It appears that PE are now issuing court papers for many cases where their charges have been ignored. They are hoping that a significant number of people will just pay up with this new threat. It only costs them £25 so is a good bet. When they receive a decent defence they don't proceed any further.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nigelbb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
shebs
Old 04-05-2013, 1:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

yes, it says I have to reply to them within 14 days.
I'm really worried,
thank you both - I will post in the other forum also.
thanks again!
# 11
kittiej
Old 04-05-2013, 2:11 PM

This is a good opportunity to put the thumb screws on PE. You can ask them to disclose all kinds of things which they will want to keep quiet about.

Ask them to disclose the contract they have with the landowner including all landowner details.

Anyway, certainly do not panic until you receive the POC in full you don't really know what they are going to bullsh1t you with.

Good luck!.
1 debt v 100 days £2000
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittiej For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Stroma
Old 04-05-2013, 2:33 PM

You need to acknowledge the claim saying that you will defend it full , and ask for a further 28 days to formulate your defence. Important not to worry though as the guys on pepipoo are good with this.
When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
We don't need the following to help you.
Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member
The Following User Says Thank You to Stroma For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
bargepole
Old 04-05-2013, 4:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiej View Post
Have you acknowledged service for this? You need to and ask that it be transferred to your local county court.....
I've picked this one up from Pepipoo now, and am sorting the defence.

The OP can't ask for it to be transferred to his local court until he has submitted a defence, and Northampton send back a Directions Questionnaire, that's how the system works.
Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 7. Lost 2 (1 subject to appeal). Adjourned 1.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bargepole For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
bargepole
Old 04-05-2013, 4:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroma View Post
You need to acknowledge the claim saying that you will defend it full , and ask for a further 28 days to formulate your defence.....
You don't get a further 28 days, you get 14 + the original 14 = 28 in total.
Speeding cases fought: 24 (3 of mine, 21 for others). Cases won: 20. Points on licence: 0. Private Parking Court Cases: Won 7. Lost 2 (1 subject to appeal). Adjourned 1.
The Following User Says Thank You to bargepole For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Stroma
Old 04-05-2013, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargepole View Post
You don't get a further 28 days, you get 14 + the original 14 = 28 in total.
Oops didn't know that, will alter my advice in future - thanks!
When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
# 16
shebs
Old 04-05-2013, 6:45 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

thank you so so much everyone, it's nice that there's some good people left in the world.
# 17
couchiedemon
Old 05-05-2013, 11:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Parking Eye Solent Retail Park

I got a "PCN" from these Parkingeye scum-buckets yesterday. I intend to ignore it - if they do take it further I'm going to ask them to prove who was driving - it wasn't me. I believe that I'm under no legal obligation to furnish them with the name of the driver although the blurb on the back of the notice implies that I should tell them who was driving, If I don't or they can't find who was they can (so they say) pursue me. Let em try.

I am going to write to complain to the DVLA that they have broken Data Protection regulations by giving my name and address. MY understanding is that they can give out details under certain circumstances but that helping a private company seek settlement of invoices stretches credibility a bit. Am I right?
# 18
pogofish
Old 06-05-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchiedemon View Post
I got a "PCN" from these Parkingeye scum-buckets yesterday. I intend to ignore it - if they do take it further I'm going to ask them to prove who was driving - it wasn't me. I believe that I'm under no legal obligation to furnish them with the name of the driver although the blurb on the back of the notice implies that I should tell them who was driving, If I don't or they can't find who was they can (so they say) pursue me. Let em try.

I am going to write to complain to the DVLA that they have broken Data Protection regulations by giving my name and address. MY understanding is that they can give out details under certain circumstances but that helping a private company seek settlement of invoices stretches credibility a bit. Am I right?
Have they issued a court claim already?

If so, you need to start your own thread, rather than pitch-up on someone else's and confuse things.

And if not, then yes - you need to start your own thread too because you have a totally different situation to deal with!
The Following User Says Thank You to pogofish For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Stroma
Old 06-05-2013, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couchiedemon View Post

Can you please not hijack other people's threads, this one has an active small claim in it and is different to your situation. Please create your own unique thread below. Many thanks
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...play.php?f=163
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stroma For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
couchiedemon
Old 06-05-2013, 1:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

If so, you need to start your own thread, rather than pitch-up on someone else's and confuse things.

And if not, then yes - you need to start your own thread too because you have a totally different situation to deal with![/QUOTE]

Apologies. No offence intended.