Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 10
    • simoncarter
    • By simoncarter 20th Sep 17, 5:58 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    simoncarter
    Saved £200 equivalent with Admiral by re-insuring with Admiral
    Renewal quote for myself and partner was £755 for 12 month policy with Admiral. Spent a day and a half checking other quotes and going back and forth with Admiral and got it down to £612 for 12 months or £527 on 10 month bonus accelerator.

Decided to check what the cost would be putting the policy in my partner's name with me listed as main driver - end result is a 10 month policy at £455 (equivalent to £546 as a 12 month policy).

NCB is earned for both named drivers on the policy (transferable within EUI group) so I'll be taking a look at whether it pays to shift it again next renewal.
    • staceydee
    • By staceydee 30th Sep 17, 2:26 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    staceydee
    please help
    i have just had a renewal through for car insurance for £1120 i have compared all the sites as well as also using the ones that dont use comparison sites and they are all coming up more expensive than my renewal.

i then called esure my renewal company to add my speeding points on which i have never had which were 3 points. he then told me that means it will go up another £395
    therefore my car insurance is now £1537

i am 37 years old 10 years driving and 8 years no claims
    i am only driving a bmw 118d so nothing too fast

also on my renewal are 2 notes from a bump i had where the man accepted responsibility and insurance all went through his insurance
    and also i scraped my car on a railing but paid for this our my own pocket

i have just asked for a quote on hastings and they advised they would not insure me - however when i took off those 2 incidents above it gave me a price with my 3 points of £817???

how can this be

please help i really dont understand why it is so high

thanks
    stacey
    • charlieheard
    • By charlieheard 6th Nov 17, 6:03 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    charlieheard
    New driver woes
    DD1 passed her test over a year ago. I went to the price comparison sites and got a great deal with Diamond (part of Admiarl) to put her on a Yaris with SWMBO and me. Our insurance went up from £250 to £750, which wasn't too bad. When the renewal came through, the price comparison sites were suggesting at least £1500, while DD1 had been driving for a year. We renewed with Diamond for £850, which was still a significant rise when the cost should in theory have dropped.

Last week DD2 passed her test and we tried to add her to the Diamond policy. They wanted an extra £3000 for the eight months remaining. So I looked at multi-car policies. We've recently bought a third car, as DD1 now has a job which needs transport, and it saved shuffling who had which car when every day. That meant we had to take out a completely new policy with zero no-claims discount. Surprisingly, Admiral were best. It turned out cheapest to insure DD1 as the main driver on the Yaris, with the 3 of us as named drivers - it cost less than £2000, which is still a lot, but is much less than Diamond wanted and gets her started on a no-claims discount. The third car meant we got a discount on the other 2, so it only cost us £50 extra for the new car! Best of all, Admiral waived the cancellation fee on the Diamond policy as we were bringing them new business. So we saved loads of money by staying with the same group - even though we actually spent quite a lot
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
    • robertoegg
    • By robertoegg 21st Nov 17, 8:57 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    robertoegg
    Car Insurance for relative who will pass away soon
    I hope someone can offer some advice - my father's car is about to fall out of insurance, however, he is in hospital with what appears to be a rather aggressive lung cancer. We are having discussions about palliative care and the like. Clearly he will not use the car again, however, I don't want to get rid of it yet nor leave it uninsured.

Can I insure it myself? Can it be deemed to be effectively off-road? It sits in a locked garage (and has a flat battery lol!)...

Your thoughts on a cost effective solution would be appreciated, thanks.
    • AlT
    • By AlT 3rd Dec 17, 2:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AlT
    Comparison sites differences
    Followed you advice of the comparison websites and wow what a difference in price particularly from the same insurance company. Your number 1 choice of comparison site Money Supermarket cheapest quoted £301, Confused.com quoted £246, Go Compare quoted £393 and Compare the Market quoted £286. Apart from Go Compare the others all quoted cheapest for the same insurance company with identical policies.
    Well wasnít hard to choose which site I went with.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,674Posts Today

5,894Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin