Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scousewife
    • By scousewife 2nd May 13, 10:45 PM
    • 203Posts
    • 921Thanks
    scousewife
    DIY Candy/Sweet Table - What sweets are you having?
    • 2nd May 13, 10:45 PM
    DIY Candy/Sweet Table - What sweets are you having? 2nd May 13 at 10:45 PM
    Hello lovely mse brides to be.
    I have offered to do a candy table for my sisters wedding this September. So far I have purchased a lot of different sized candy jars, vases, bowls & a centre piece tall martini vase. Along with scoops & paper bags but I'm wanting to buy sweets that appeal to young & old and have bought some but worried if it is a broad enough selection or not. So far I have got;
    Peanut M&Ms
    Skittles
    Toffees
    Jellies
    Marshmallows
    Mint Humbugs
    Hard boiled fruit sweets
    Lollipops
    Love hearts
    Blackjacks/Fruit Salads

Is anyone else doing a DIY Candy/Sweet table? If so what sweets are you having? Would appreciate some input.
    Thanks for reading
Page 1
    • caz2003uk
    • By caz2003uk 3rd May 13, 12:30 AM
    • 669 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    caz2003uk
    • 3rd May 13, 12:30 AM
    • 3rd May 13, 12:30 AM
    We did a sweetie buffet for our wedding last Friday and it was a massive hit!

We had:
    Cola bottles
    Shrimps
    Jelly beans
    Jelly babies
    Lips
    Rings
    Cherries
    Jazzies
    Fizzy chips
    Milkshake bottles
    White mice and
    Flying saucers

I still can't believe how much everyone loved it!

Here is a pic of how ours looked (ignore the cling film lol)

A few small touches to:

I stamped all the sweetie bags to make them personal

And decorated the tongs and scoops to pretty them up a bit!

Last edited by caz2003uk; 03-05-2013 at 12:36 AM.
    Engaged 25/12/11
    Married the man of her dreams and became Mrs M on 26th April 2013
    • gilly1964
    • By gilly1964 3rd May 13, 5:59 AM
    • 985 Posts
    • 6,905 Thanks
    gilly1964
    • 3rd May 13, 5:59 AM
    • 3rd May 13, 5:59 AM
    Hello lovely mse brides to be.
    I have offered to do a candy table for my sisters wedding this September. So far I have purchased a lot of different sized candy jars, vases, bowls & a centre piece tall martini vase. Along with scoops & paper bags but I'm wanting to buy sweets that appeal to young & old and have bought some but worried if it is a broad enough selection or not. So far I have got;
    Peanut M&Ms
    Skittles
    Toffees
    Jellies
    Marshmallows
    Mint Humbugs
    Hard boiled fruit sweets
    Lollipops
    Love hearts
    Blackjacks/Fruit Salads

Is anyone else doing a DIY Candy/Sweet table? If so what sweets are you having? Would appreciate some input.
    Thanks for reading
    Originally posted by scousewife

All the buffets I have seen recently seem to go back to the sweets of childhood, rather than hard "sucky" sweets -

Fruit salad
    Blackjacks
    Jelly Babies
    Flying Saucers
    Sweet Bananas
    Shrimps
    Flumps
    Jelly Beans
    Candy Neckaces
    Swizzlers
    Parma Violets

I would avoid the peanut M&Ms - just in case of nut allergies

HTH
  • lisajane8482
    • 3rd May 13, 8:36 AM
    • 3rd May 13, 8:36 AM
    I'd also avoid lollies if there are children there. I was going to put lollies in to the kids favour bags until someone pointed out they could fall and choke on them. I hadn't even considered the possibility (even though we have 2 daughters) of this happeniing.... now I have a load of lollies in the sweetie jar.
    • kittybangbang
    • By kittybangbang 3rd May 13, 11:36 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    kittybangbang
    • 3rd May 13, 11:36 AM
    • 3rd May 13, 11:36 AM
    I'd like to do this at my wedding. I've heard that you can look in Pound Shops for big jars of various sweets. I'm just going to go for a variety of sweets (maybe 5 or 6 different types), stored in big vintage jars on a table decorated in my colour scheme.

I'll be buying small paper bags (hopefully cute stripy ones) and scoops to go on the table.

I also think you should skip the peanut things, just in case
    • scousewife
    • By scousewife 3rd May 13, 12:06 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    scousewife
    • 3rd May 13, 12:06 PM
    • 3rd May 13, 12:06 PM
    Thanks for the input. Your sweet table looked amazing caz2003uk & the finishing touches are lovely. I have acrylic butterflies that I will stick on the acrylic scoops & have stickers with bride & grooms names & date of wedding for the bags (a stamp would of been easier tho! wish id thought of that!)
    Thanks for the suggestions gilly1964 I will add them to my list. I know what you mean about the peanut M&Ms but wanted to include them as they are the brides favourites & the grooms are Hard boiled clear fruits. I will place the hard boiled sweets at the back & will clearly label that the M&Ms contain Nuts.
    Your right about the lollipops Lisajane8482 I would hate to feel responsible if something happened to a little one - I think I will scrap them then.
    Kittybangbang I bought various candy jars from the pound shop but they never had any sweets in. Ive been buying different sweets every week along with my weekly shop so don't have to spend out all at once. I find supermarket own brand sweets amongst the cheapest & Home Bargains. I bought the striped sweet bags from amazon as found them to be the cheapest around.
    • tatabubbly
    • By tatabubbly 3rd May 13, 10:01 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 6,077 Thanks
    tatabubbly
    • 3rd May 13, 10:01 PM
    • 3rd May 13, 10:01 PM
    caz2003uk your table looks amazing, I'm not getting married for 2 years, would it be wise if I found cute jars to use now? They would be around €30 for a lot of jars and all I would need is the scoops and bags which I would get from pound shops when I spot the bargains!
    094 Sealed pot member! (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
    • caz2003uk
    • By caz2003uk 4th May 13, 4:49 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    caz2003uk
    • 4th May 13, 4:49 PM
    • 4th May 13, 4:49 PM
    We used ikea for vases and bowls and Tesco for the lidded jars(£1.20)
    Engaged 25/12/11
    • my definition
    • By my definition 4th May 13, 5:59 PM
    • 851 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    my definition
    • 4th May 13, 5:59 PM
    • 4th May 13, 5:59 PM

We had:
    Cola bottles
    Shrimps
    Jelly beans
    Jelly babies
    Lips
    Rings
    Cherries
    Jazzies
    Fizzy chips
    Milkshake bottles
    White mice and
    Flying saucers

I still can't believe how much everyone loved it!

Here is a pic of how ours looked (ignore the cling film lol)

A few small touches to:

I stamped all the sweetie bags to make them personal

And decorated the tongs and scoops to pretty them up a bit!

Originally posted by caz2003uk
    where did you get the stamper? Thats a great idea.

Were doing a sweetie buffet aswell and i got these last week for it

http://m.wilko.com/wilko/product/detail.do?itemId=0319376

Got the small ones as they are quite deep and i didnt want to have to put 3 bds of sweets in each one
  • frazzled22

[/IMG]
    Originally posted by caz2003uk
    Where did you get it all from? I love it!
  • City Girl
    I'd like to do this at my wedding. I've heard that you can look in Pound Shops for big jars of various sweets. I'm just going to go for a variety of sweets (maybe 5 or 6 different types), stored in big vintage jars on a table decorated in my colour scheme.

I'll be buying small paper bags (hopefully cute stripy ones) and scoops to go on the table.

I also think you should skip the peanut things, just in case
    Originally posted by kittybangbang
    Hi, a couple of weeks ago I bought 100 blue and white stripy paper bags from Amazon for my brother and sister in law 2 be's wedding and paid just over £3. delivered, they are just what they were looking for. I like the stamp idea too, will mention it to them

CITY
    • caz2003uk
    • By caz2003uk 5th May 13, 4:02 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    caz2003uk
    Bags were from eBay, scoops and tongs also from eBay (chinese seller) stamp was from vistaprint

Sorry very short had a quick moment on wifi lol we on honeymoon so best put my phone away lmao
    Engaged 25/12/11
    • spam88
    • By spam88 18th Aug 13, 10:06 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    spam88
    Caz, thank you for sharing your pictures, I hadn't even thought I can use glass bowls! I shall be raiding my mum's cupboards next time I'm home...

Just thought I'd mention, I got my bags from Amazon a couple of weeks back. £1.50 for 100 striped bags, or they were slightly more expensive for 100 bags of mixed colours. I'm still on the hunt for some cheap metal scoops!

Actually, Caz, do you know what size (in oz) your scoops were..? I've seen loads of different sizes on Amazon but I have literally no idea how big they are or what size I need!
    • themull1
    • By themull1 20th Aug 13, 4:41 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    themull1
    I got plastic bowls from wilkinsons rather than jars cos i thought the neck might be too small for the scoops, and i got white bags with silver snowflakes for my christmas wedding theme, im going to get a white manzanita tree and hang candy canes off it, got my scoops and tong in clear plastic off ebay, going to decorate with snowflake ribbon. I might even have a couple of cuddly polar bears on the table as well.!

I'm probably having -

Lovehearts
    cola bottles
    foam bananas
    candy sticks
    white choc mice
    white and pink choc ice creams
    liquorice whirls
    haribo mini teddies
    toffee in chocolate
    bonbons

I'm not having sucky sweets cos we don't like them.! and i cannot stand the smell of pear drops so we're not having them.
    • heartbreak_star
    • By heartbreak_star 20th Aug 13, 6:09 PM
    • 7,610 Posts
    • 16,788 Thanks
    heartbreak_star
    REGARDING NUTS - I would have a designated "nut scoop" just for the M&Ms, keep them in a sealable jar, and make it VERY clear there can be no cross-contamination.

I've got a nut allergy, and nearly ended up in hospital after I ate food someone handed me after they'd eaten nuts.

Be exceptionally careful

HBS x
    Last edited by heartbreak_star; 02-09-2013 at 11:48 AM.
    I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.

#JC4PM
    • kacie
    • By kacie 21st Aug 13, 11:03 AM
    • 792 Posts
    • 2,593 Thanks
    kacie
    I'm thinking of doing one, but maybe doing the sweets in our colours as well so just having blue and silver sweets
    • themull1
    • By themull1 21st Aug 13, 2:07 PM
    • 4,197 Posts
    • 4,113 Thanks
    themull1
    I like the thought of sweets to match the wedding colours, but when i had a look at the pics online, i thought they looked a bit boring and samey, so i'm going for all different coloured sweets.
    • kacie
    • By kacie 21st Aug 13, 3:12 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 2,593 Thanks
    kacie
    I like the thought of sweets to match the wedding colours, but when i had a look at the pics online, i thought they looked a bit boring and samey, so i'm going for all different coloured sweets.
    Originally posted by themull1
    Yeah I thought about that, but we're having a small wedding so would only need about 6-8 different ones
  • proverbialneedle
    We had the haribo hearts, haribo frogs (kiss the frog!), bubblegum bottles (my absolute favourite), love hearts, lips, and a few other 'fillers' that were smaller and cheaper to buy in bulk.
    • scousewife
    • By scousewife 28th Sep 13, 9:46 AM
    • 203 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    scousewife
    Hi all
    Just an update on what sweets I used at sisters wedding last week & what was popular & what wasn't;
    Marshmallows - V popular
    Haribo Jellies - V popular
    Peanut M&Ms - V popular
    Skittles - V popular
    Mint Humbugs - Ok
    Toffees - Not popular
    Liquorice Allsorts - Not popular
    Chocolate Limes - Ok
    Clear Fruits - Ok
    Gold/Silver Chocolate Coins - Very popular
    Dolly Mixtures - V popular
    Midget Gems - V popular
    Mamo Chew Sticks - Went down a storm
    Fruit Salad & Black Jacks - Went down a storm
    Candy Necklaces/Watches - went down a storm
    Lollipops - Ok

I had tried to incorporate a few old school hard boiled sweets for the older ppl who attended wedding but they were the types of sweets that proved less popular but the rest was a success. If I only knew how to share photos on here I would show you a pic of my candy cart set up. HTH someone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

354Posts Today

2,674Users online

Martin's Twitter