Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: What Laundry Cleaning Products Do You (mainly) Use?

Powder

49.47% • 93 votes

Liquitabs

5.85% • 11 votes

Liquid / Gel

31.38% • 59 votes

Tablets

4.79% • 9 votes

Something Else (not listed)

8.51% • 16 votes

Nothing

0% • 0 votes

You may not vote on this poll

188 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 24th Apr 13, 4:43 PM
    • 2,477Posts
    • 1,484Thanks
    anotheruser
    What Type of Washing (Laundry) Cleaning Product Do You Use?
    • 24th Apr 13, 4:43 PM
    What Type of Washing (Laundry) Cleaning Product Do You Use? 24th Apr 13 at 4:43 PM
    Powder, liquid, liquitabs, tablets, gels?

So many different types.

I use powder as it's just what I have always used. However I am thinking about using liquid or gel as looking online, it would work out slightly cheaper than powder (by 6 washes). I would be tempted to overuse the liquid though.

I use Asda own brand for the powder as it gets my stuff clean as good as any other branded product.

What do you use and why?

EDIT: After using pretty much all different types I have been converted to gel.
    It turns out the powder doesn't dissolve very well at all. I tested this by putting a clear plastic bird bath in such a way it caught the water out pipe and found a lot of white powder in the bottom. Although it's rated at 30°C, I don't think it actually does dissolve all that great at that temperature.
    Liquid was okay and I would buy it again but gel seems to foam the most. I purchased a Persil liquid to get the rubber cup to help protect the inside of the drum.
    Last edited by anotheruser; 25-09-2013 at 9:20 AM.
Page 4
  • skintas
    i use 24 washes gel for £1 from savers...does the trick for me
    i will be debt free, i will
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 13th May 13, 12:14 PM
    • 2,477 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Sorry to bump this.

Thought I'd report back from the liquid tests, which were as expected. My clothes came out clean, smelled for as long as the powder stays. However I did put the liquid in the drawer just before turning it on. There seems to be no actual guidelines of where to put it and I'd rather not have a piece of plastic churning around in the drum.
    There are also more suds... :P

Smart Price powder was a no go as it kept clumping in the drawer. Not tried the gel yet but I expect similar results to the liquid - although that will have to go in the drum.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 31st May 13, 10:24 AM
    • 2,477 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Thought I'd get back to you with an email reply I had from P&G about their products:

Q: Can you give me an over view of the different types of products you make and sell?
    A:
    · Powder: The most popular form of detergent. This –as it always has done- goes in the machine drawer; you can also use powder for pre-washing stains. Powders can be used at temperatures as low as 20 degrees.

· Liquid: Liquid detergents have been on the markets since the 1980’s. They can be used in the drawer and in the drum of your washing machine with the dosing cap. Liquid detergents can be used with temperatures as low as 20 degrees, and are also able to pre-wash with them.

· Gel: Introduced in 2008, this is a best seller across all the ranges. You can wash economically as low as 15 degrees. The bottle comes with a dosing cap, and you use a 37ml shot for your laundry load. They have fantastic cleaning abilities, and are recommended by consumers.

· Liquitabs: These are a pre-measured liquid, which you place straight in the washing machine drum. You use one liquitab at a time, and you place it in the drum first under your laundry. You can use liquitabs on washes as low as 30 degrees.

· Tablets: Tablets are the powder form of liquitabs. These are placed straight in the drawer of your machine using two at a time. You can use tablets on washes as low as 30 degrees.

Q: And what abut the brands, how are they involved?
    A:
    · Ariel: Ariel Biological detergent with Actilift, is a great all round detergent. It can be used on colours or whites and does a great job on both. It is available in all 5 forms to purchase. Actilift products all contain Daz so you get 40% better stain removal power.

We also have a Colour and Style Ariel. This is specially formulated to be used on your coloured garments. This comes in bottles and boxes with the purple banner. Ariel Colour and Style is great to use as it keeps darks dark and your light colours bright.

· Daz: Daz is known for keeping whites white. It is a Biological detergent that contains bleach, so it is specially formulated to bring out stains on your white clothing and garments.

· Fairy-Non Bio: Fairy Non- Bio is the softest Non-Bio on the laundry market today. It is British Allergy Foundation approved, and you can get it in all 5 detergent forms and a fabric softener! Fairy is best to use on children and people with any skin complaints. Perfect for grandchildren!

Q: What would you say is your best product and why?
    A:Gel detergents are the most economically sound products, as you can wash garments at as low as 15 degrees and still get fantastic cleaning results. So you are saving money and getting amazing results.

Q: I've heard washing machine engineers suggest gels and liquids clog up pipes and cause all sorts of problems. What say you P&G?
    A: In reference to your comments about pipe clogging whilst using gel or liquid detergents; If you are using the product correctly, and preforming regular service washes on your machine you should have no such issues.

Q: I'm worried the plastic dosing devices will ruin my machine. Have you consulted washing machine manufacturers to make sure they are safe?
    A: Any of our plastic dosing devices are perfectly safe to use in any machine. The only way we not advise the dosing device to be used is in in a washer/dryer on a wash and quick dry cycle.

-- ENDS --

Not heard back from Persil as yet.
    Also didn't realise Ariel contained 40% Daz. I wonder what cheaper version Asda's own brand takes after.

Also don't understand how they call powder the most popular, then say gel is the best seller? :S

However kudos to them for giving such a great response!
    • Solarjunkie
    • By Solarjunkie 31st May 13, 9:30 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Solarjunkie
    Interestingly, I have heard that it is powder than bungs up the machines. I know of several people who have had such problems.

My washing machine empties into a sink and while I usually use liquid as I can pour it directly onto any marks, I did use some powder I was given. The amount of filler left in the sink after the wash sent me straight back to the liquid.

My best tip is to put muddy things through the machine on rinse first, then if it still needs washing it won't be washed in "mud soup".
    • Downsizing _for_sanity
    • By Downsizing _for_sanity 31st May 13, 10:21 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    Downsizing _for_sanity
    I've finally worked out why my husband has been moaning about his washing "not smelling like when my mum does it" (after nearly ten years married). I work full time too so we take turns doing the washing. He has been telling me it's because I tend to buy the Aldi/Lidl/Tesco brands rather than Ariel/Lenor combo, until today when I found him putting the softener in the prewash compartment! How do you expect it to smell then? Only the ten years then....
  • Bartelmy
    I just made my own laundry powder today. One bar of grated soap, a cup of washing soda, and a cup of borax (sodium borate, not boric acid!) I'm about to do my first load with it, so we'll see how it compares.

Until now, I've been using Tesco's own brand powder, but it just ran out.
    • WeegieWumman
    • By WeegieWumman 31st May 13, 11:14 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    WeegieWumman
    My washing machine instructions recommend using powder only
    • applepad
    • By applepad 1st Jun 13, 9:08 AM
    • 317 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    applepad
    Sure I remember reading a Which report which said powder cleans best and think the Aldi one came out top.
    I must admit I use Aldi tablets and tend to use just one in a full load and break them up in a half load.

I did buy the powder but it did not have a measure inside and my co ordination is not good so ended up with powder every where.

Also think when Superscrimpers recently did a washing thing Aldi came out top?
  • MrsE
    I wash with Ariel gel. £4 for a big bottle when on offer. There is a cup in the lid bit that you fill and put in with the washing.

Years ago, I did use a powder but when I switched to washing at a low temp. the powder did not dissolve. It came out all over the washing.
    Originally posted by good advice
    I've been using this for years.
    But I'm planning on going back to powder as I think it washes better?
    • kboss2010
    • By kboss2010 15th Feb 14, 9:02 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 7,345 Thanks
    kboss2010
    I use gel because my OH is allergic to most powders and softeners.
    • Purple kitten
    • By Purple kitten 15th Feb 14, 9:12 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 18,264 Thanks
    Purple kitten
    We use Kirkland's washing powder as considering we are allergic to most things it works perfectly and is very mse for us as we have a lot of animal bedding to also wash.
    • Lilyplonk
    • By Lilyplonk 16th Feb 14, 1:20 AM
    • 862 Posts
    • 8,175 Thanks
    Lilyplonk
    I've been using Asda SP Liquid for around 18mths - got fed up with the powder clumping really solid in the drawer. I also add a scoop of Asda Oxygen Whitener directly into the drawer, which never clumps, and I use Asda Fabric Conditioner.

I find that as long as I give the drawer a 'blast with my steam cleaner' it keeps it clean and 'mould free' ................... really can't abide dirty washing machine drawers .

My washing is always clean - most stains come out - and it smells fresh every time. Any really stubborn stains get treated with a pre-wash rub with the gel. If that doesn't work, THEN I resort to an overnight soak in good old bleach .

Any 'greasey splashes' get treated with washing-up liquid rubbed into them before being washed. I reckon that if it can get rid of grease off the plates, it can handle whatever has splashed onto clothes - has never let me down so far .
    Last edited by Lilyplonk; 16-02-2014 at 1:24 AM.
    • Elliesmum
    • By Elliesmum 16th Feb 14, 11:01 AM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 1,715 Thanks
    Elliesmum
    I use gloop...... Costing less than a penny a wash. I've been glooping for over a year now and haven't had any problems with the machine or results.

If a wash needs a boost then I use additional amounts of washing soda and I have nappisan on hand when I need to disinfect the dogs bedding etc.

Softener is another home made mix using white vinegar, essential oils and hair conditioner and comes in at 4p a wash...

I love my gloop!

EM x
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

NSD challenge for July - 1/10 2nd target 0/13 VSP £235.00
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 16th Feb 14, 1:49 PM
    • 4,679 Posts
    • 35,888 Thanks
    Justamum
    I've been using Asda SP Liquid for around 18mths - got fed up with the powder clumping really solid in the drawer.
    Originally posted by Lilyplonk
    I always put powder into the drum. I can't stand clogged up drawers.

• soon2bjobless
    • By soon2bjobless 16th Feb 14, 4:52 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 1,208 Thanks
    soon2bjobless
    I use a dessertspoon of Asda Smart price soap powder and 1/2 a capful of Aldis fabric softener - will use vinegar on my towls but it doesnt seem to deal with static as well as the softener.
    • meritaten
    • By meritaten 16th Feb 14, 7:25 PM
    • 23,095 Posts
    • 60,823 Thanks
    meritaten
    I use Aldi Biological - and my skin, which is sensitive to most other brands doesn't react at all. to be fair, I think it isn't the detergent component but the perfume. Daz in particular is highly perfumed and I can smell a Daz user at 50 paces. I think the Aldi one has great cleaning power and in the ten years or so I have used it I don't find it clogs the machine. I do however run an empty wash and put loads of vinegar in a couple of times a year.
    I also find that using about a third of recommended dose is quite sufficient now that OH isn't playing in the mud! (no he wasn't in his second childhood but his job involved digging the roads up and 'playing in the mud'), along with him giving up playing rugby.
    Last edited by meritaten; 16-02-2014 at 7:28 PM.
    • Canardvert
    • By Canardvert 14th Mar 17, 12:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Canardvert
    Just been part of a focus group testing New Daz for whites and colours. If you haven't used Daz fr years, give this a try. It does what it says. Off to try the liquid version now.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,620Posts Today

6,734Users online

Martin's Twitter