Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Amy
    • By MSE Amy 23rd Apr 13, 6:21 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 36Thanks
    MSE Amy
    Small Claims Court guide
    • 23rd Apr 13, 6:21 PM
    Small Claims Court guide 23rd Apr 13 at 6:21 PM

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Amy; 18-09-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Page 23
    • twistednail
    • By twistednail 20th Apr 17, 1:55 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    twistednail
    Not sure if anyone can help?

I worked on a film back in 2014 for which I should have been paid £4000. Mid-way through the production, it turned out that the budget that the producer had told everyone he had was not correct, and the production had to be shut down. Many people lost a lot of money, including the actors, catering company, equipment companies etc to the value of about £400,000 or thereabouts.

Over the course of a year I sent my invoices, chases and eventually a "Letter Before Action" stating how much was owed. Nothing has come out of this, with the exception of a small payment of £300 early on in the process with the rest of the money outstanding.

It is now a couple of years later and I am in a place where I can "afford" to pay the £185 court fee to take it to small claims. This loss of money has caused so many problems for me (mental health wise, and also in terms of having to pay off a large amount of debt having not being paid) and to this day I cannot get over the work that I put into this project that ended up unpaid.

How do I determine if it is worth taking this to the small claims court? I have £185 but I don't want to throw further money down the toilet. Equally, £4000 is a lot of money to me and I also don't like the fact that this man got away with his lies.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 20th Apr 17, 6:02 PM
    • 9,066 Posts
    • 6,894 Thanks
    lincroft1710

How do I determine if it is worth taking this to the small claims court? I have £185 but I don't want to throw further money down the toilet. Equally, £4000 is a lot of money to me and I also don't like the fact that this man got away with his lies.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Originally posted by twistednail
    If he hasn't got the £3,700 (you already have £300) it would be a waste of time. He may already have judgements against him, so you may be joining a long queue. Also how likely is he to pay up?Keep emotion out of your reasoning.
    • twistednail
    • By twistednail 21st Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    twistednail
    If he hasn't got the £3,700 (you already have £300) it would be a waste of time. He may already have judgements against him, so you may be joining a long queue. Also how likely is he to pay up?Keep emotion out of your reasoning.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    I guess that is the problem. I don't know how much money he has, or how many others are in the queue. Equally there could be no-one in the queue as they are all thinking the same thing. It is very tricky.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 21st Apr 17, 5:22 PM
    • 9,066 Posts
    • 6,894 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    As it is over 2 yrs since the production shut down and businesses were involved, it is probable that they would have already taken action against him. Are you in contact with anyone else who was owed money?
    • twistednail
    • By twistednail 21st Apr 17, 7:19 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    twistednail
    I've tried contacting a few people, but no-one has responded. The fall-out of all of this was horrible, so people didn't really stay in contact.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

1,667Users online

Martin's Twitter