Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Employment, Jobseeking & Training > Boss requesting to give personal data to third pa... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Boss requesting to give personal data to third party
Views: 2,856
# 1
borderline
Old 16-04-2013, 8:45 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Question Boss requesting to give personal data to third party

Hi,
my manager is asking me to share my personal data (copy of passport, etc..) with an external company in order to register an account with this company.
This access account is not absolutely necessary for my job and I don't feel comfortable giving a copy of my passport to a third party.
I told my manager I wasn't comfortable giving out my data but she said I'm obliged to... is that true?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
AP007
Old 16-04-2013, 8:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderline View Post
Hi,
my manager is asking me to share my personal data (copy of passport, etc..) with an external company in order to register an account with this company.
This access account is not absolutely necessary for my job and I don't feel comfortable giving a copy of my passport to a third party.
I told my manager I wasn't comfortable giving out my data but she said I'm obliged to... is that true?
What kind of account???
Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
# 3
borderline
Old 16-04-2013, 8:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP007 View Post
What kind of account???
it's an account to let this company know how much money they are expecting from us.
Up until now I didn't need to do it this way and it's not imperative that I do it the new way either with the registered account under my name, it's just that my boos feels like doing it this other way...
# 4
Savvy_Sue
Old 16-04-2013, 8:56 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

If it's for a bank account, they may be able to check your identity manually: I know when we change signatories that we can either submit copies of passports or just send off address details and wait ...

You say access to this account isn't essential, but presumably your boss thinks it would be easier / helpful / more convenient / desirable if you had access. So, how much does keeping on good terms with your boss matter to you?
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

Real Life is taking a lot more time than usual
# 5
AP007
Old 16-04-2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
it's an account to let this company know how much money they are expecting from us.
Up until now I didn't need to do it this way and it's not imperative that I do it the new way either with the registered account under my name, it's just that my boos feels like doing it this other way...
So what have you got to do with the company bank accounts ?
Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
# 6
getmore4less
Old 16-04-2013, 9:03 PM

still not clear what sort of account and why the company needs your details.
The Following User Says Thank You to getmore4less For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
borderline
Old 16-04-2013, 9:06 PM
MoneySaving Convert

No, it's not a bank account. We send some foreign currency weekly to this company, basically they want my details to log me as a user. I can't buy any currency with this account, it's just to let them know how much cash they'll be expecting... but they want a copy of my passport
# 8
getmore4less
Old 16-04-2013, 9:13 PM

whats wrong with sending an email

how does you having access to the account help you tell them how much money is coming
# 9
Owain Moneysaver
Old 16-04-2013, 9:15 PM

Why can't your manager use his/her details?
Wins and Freebies: ττhραṡτε, τεα-τώεl
The Following User Says Thank You to Owain Moneysaver For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
borderline
Old 16-04-2013, 9:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmore4less View Post
whats wrong with sending an email

how does you having access to the account help you tell them how much money is coming
I guess they want to know in case the money gets lost "in transit" , the money is sent with their own courier but with the cash a paying slip is sent so they know how much money to expect
# 11
borderline
Old 16-04-2013, 9:25 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owain Moneysaver View Post
Why can't your manager use his/her details?
she could, she has an account but I'm the one sending the money.

What I would like to know if Data protection Act will allow me to say no to my boss
# 12
AP007
Old 16-04-2013, 9:27 PM

Quote:
she could, she has an account but I'm the one sending the money.

What I would like to know if Data protection Act will allow me to say no to my boss
its not your money though so I am still lost

If they use a courier to collect money from you, is that it?
# 13
getmore4less
Old 16-04-2013, 9:31 PM

still can't see why you need an account an email would do.
The Following User Says Thank You to getmore4less For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
borderline
Old 16-04-2013, 9:37 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
its not your money though so I am still lost

If they use a courier to collect money from you, is that it?
it's my company's money. They collect it from us, the external company is a foreign exchange business
# 15
LittleVoice
Old 16-04-2013, 9:39 PM

If they are simply giving access to some kind of extranet, then your passport should not be necessary. It won't enable them to contact you if there's a query! Not everyone has a passport so if you are not personally engaged in international currency courier work, you might not have an unexpired passport.

Does your boss already have a copy of your passport? Is it a data protection issue that has caused the question to be asked - because you didn't provide the data for this purpose?

Is the "account" actually a login ID with password?

Last edited by LittleVoice; 16-04-2013 at 9:42 PM.
# 16
AP007
Old 16-04-2013, 9:47 PM

Quote:
it's my company's money. They collect it from us, the external company is a foreign exchange business
So they need to set you up an account on their system???

So they can see what you are going to send to them? Ie allowing YOU access to the system?
# 17
borderline
Old 16-04-2013, 9:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleVoice View Post
If they are simply giving access to some kind of extranet, then your passport should not be necessary. It won't enable them to contact you if there's a query! Not everyone has a passport so if you are not personally engaged in international currency courier work, you might not have an unexpired passport.

Does your boss already have a copy of your passport? Is it a data protection issue that has caused the question to be asked - because you didn't provide the data for this purpose?

Is the "account" actually a login ID with password?
it's the policy of this foreign exchange company to ask for a copy of passport in order to create this type of account. Why I don't know because this account doesn't allow me to order any cash but still they want a copy of my passport.
HR has a copy of my passport but I would imagine HR cannot give it to a 3rd party , I have to give it myself, and is not me opening the account , it will be an accountant where I work , so I have to give my passport to this accountant so she can enter all my details onto this account and send the copy of my passport.
I don't really want to give my passport to this accountant either.
My company won't allow me to have my mobile phone in the office in case I take a picture ( I work with cash) and yet they are ok to give my passport to an external company , this is what annoys me , all these procedures with us but we have to disclose everything to a 3rd party.
The Following User Says Thank You to borderline For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
borderline
Old 16-04-2013, 9:53 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
So they need to set you up an account on their system???

So they can see what you are going to send to them? Ie allowing YOU access to the system?
yes, that's right
# 19
Jamie Carter
Old 16-04-2013, 9:55 PM

It sounds like they are doing a CRB type check. You can actually have one of these done yourself, and then send a copy of the certificate to them. This is one of many companies who do them: http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/
# 20
AP007
Old 16-04-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
yes, that's right
So they want to safeguard THEIR system

I guess they have their rights to ask or you can not do your job