Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
  • rcandeias
    OVEN MATE Definitely the cleaner to use
    I would post photos if I could before and after just to illustrate as I cannot I just describe it.

It comes in a box, a gel bottle, a nylon brush, and some protective gloves. I have an oven that had not been cleaned for 10 years, so it had at least 3mls of burnt in grease carbonized which to scratch felt like was part of the oven, I tried using astonish cream but that which is usually excellent on pans sinks etc did work at all so with the gloves on and armed with the brush after taking all the racks out I brushed the gel on the sides and bottom of the oven, left it for three hours (the best thing on this product is virtually no smell definitely no toxic fumes a pleasure to clean with) and then wiped it clean.

I could not believe my eyes it looked new and very shiny, both the sides and the bottom, amazing there was only a vary small area at the bottom that didn't completely came off so I reapplied more gel to that area and left it overnight, wiped it in the morning and the whole of that bit came off as well. Another good thing is although this product is not that cheap i think I only used a quarter of the bottle or at the most a third. so in my opinion great value for money as with other products they may be cheaper but I think you end up using the whole container making them really more expensive....****WELL DONE OVEN MATE**** you get 5 stars from me.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 20th Aug 11, 3:38 PM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    There seem to be quite a few different options for Oven Mate, Lakeland having the cheapest "spray on" version.

The one that looks most like the description is this one on Amazon
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • Kimberley
    • By Kimberley 2nd Nov 12, 6:28 PM
    • 13,349 Posts
    • 20,353 Thanks
    Kimberley
    Hi

I know that this is an old thread but rather then create a brand new one I thought i'd use this one.

Did any of the tips in this thread work? We have an Electric Oven with really thick burnt on grease. We inhereted the Oven from the previous tenants. I cannot get the Oven clean so can someone tell me if the Ammonia or Ovenmate cleaner worked?

I don't really want to have to pay out for it to be professionally cleaned.
    IOW Bus and Beer festival Oct 2016
    • pollys
    • By pollys 2nd Nov 12, 6:35 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 12,463 Thanks
    pollys
    Oven mate from Lakeland is brilliant.

Pollys
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
    • Kimberley
    • By Kimberley 2nd Nov 12, 6:37 PM
    • 13,349 Posts
    • 20,353 Thanks
    Kimberley
    Thanks Polly
    • Kimberley
    • By Kimberley 2nd Nov 12, 6:43 PM
    • 13,349 Posts
    • 20,353 Thanks
    Kimberley
    Polly

Can I ask do you just put it around the sides and base of the oven or the lamp and elements too? Oven door etc? Best to leave overnight or the 3 hours they reccommend?
    • pollys
    • By pollys 2nd Nov 12, 7:16 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 12,463 Thanks
    pollys
    I use it on the racks, door, oven bottom etc, you can't use it on self cleaning ovens.
    I have never left it on overnight no need, the burnt on brown stuff has lifted before then. Honest the oven looks like new afterwards.

Pollys

ps the elements are hidden in my oven.
    • Kimberley
    • By Kimberley 2nd Nov 12, 7:29 PM
    • 13,349 Posts
    • 20,353 Thanks
    Kimberley
    Thanks. I'm getting some tomorrow so will let you know the outcome tomorrow night
    • Kimberley
    • By Kimberley 4th Nov 12, 10:15 PM
    • 13,349 Posts
    • 20,353 Thanks
    Kimberley
    Well I used it and the Oven has come up great except for a patch that I will do next weekend.

It does take a long time to clean off though, I must have used up tons of kitchen towel and wipes and i'm still getting some of it on the kitchen towel even now. I'm going to have to wipe it down tomorrow and hope that none is left inside when I turn the cooker on and cook.
    • pollys
    • By pollys 5th Nov 12, 8:03 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 12,463 Thanks
    pollys
    So pleased it worked, I agree about the kitchen roll, I used loads too. I found the oven was fine when I used it for the first time after cleaning - no smell or anything.

Pollys
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,147Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter