Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 14
    • shed35
    • By shed35 22nd Mar 17, 10:40 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 670 Thanks
    shed35
    Hi

Thank you for all your tips. After 2 conversation with Sky - got my landline and unlimited Broadband for £18.99 for a second year after telling them what EE were offering. I come very close to leaving to EE before and one day I will make it! I also reduce my insurance premiums for my washing machine with D&G after a simple phone call.

I do not like haggling but have really nice conversation with customer service agents and it seems to do the trick!
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 27th Mar 17, 2:30 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    craigr98
    Slightly concerned you said...prentended it has the same options.
    • aboriginals
    • By aboriginals 5th Apr 17, 2:49 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    aboriginals
    Virgin - down from £46 to £29 monthly
    Just got off the phone from a call from Virgin just now. I had cancelled a few days ago, saying the £46 a month was too much, and I was looking for the bill to be £30 for the phone, television and broadband combined.

The best I got then was an offer of £50 onto my account, and 'watch for the new deals' (which would be after April offers from competitors had ended). I said no thanks, if they couldn't match the offer to new Virgin customers I was walking. They said sorry to see you go then.

I then got this call today from Virgin asking for the reasons why I left. I told them the above again, and after little a bit of horse trading the lady had a word with her manager, I was told they would be able to match the deal for new customers on offer. Just what I wanted in the first place!
    Last edited by aboriginals; 05-04-2017 at 2:51 PM. Reason: missing words
    • SparciaM
    • By SparciaM 10th Apr 17, 10:15 AM
    • 585 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    SparciaM
    So did Sky online chat and asked to cancel my contract. Joined a year ago on a 50% off deal (so BoxSets package for £19 instead of £38pm). The advisor offered 40% off but on an 18 month contract and advised I would have to pay a £10 admin fee to take the deal. I told her it was still too expensive (quoting BT TV for £15pm) and said it was cheeky asking for a £10 admin fee. So I asked her to process the cancellation.
    Two days later on My Sky TV Box I had an offer of 60% off so £15.20pm instead of £38pm and also £3.80pm cheaper than my original package and only 12 months, so clicked the box to sign up.
    I was willing to let the contract cancel and see what deals they offer but didn't have to wait that long.
    • PMac13
    • By PMac13 11th Apr 17, 6:52 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PMac13
    Just completed my annual haggle with Sky marathon but managed to get what appears to be the standard 60% off and £50 account credit reducing my monthly payment by £15. But then separately haggled a deal for SkyQ for no extra a month and £100 installation, taking off the credit making it £50. That's for the 2tb box and 2 mini boxes.

That will do nicely!
    • Harmonica89
    • By Harmonica89 16th Apr 17, 8:21 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Harmonica89
    I do not know if this helps you now but for the sake of others.

A friend of mine cancelled with Sky last month, they went into the usual spiel and she just said "No I am leaving I am not interested in any offers", of course they insisted on offering anyway.

The best they offered was £15 a month, £60 credit and free BB so around £120 for the year.

She did this via Chat and contract was ending in several weeks.
    Originally posted by DavidP24
    I spoke to Sky via live chat as my broadband contract is up in eight weeks. I was on the standard £18.99 for the year which would go up to £28.99 after my contract ends.

I quoted other deals after they initially offered me another year of £18.99 and managed to get it for £15 for the next year which I was really happy with considering what else is out there. Didn't get offered £60 credit though!
    • astra46
    • By astra46 11th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    astra46
    Just spoke to cancellations. They offered me Broadband, All Calls, Line Rental and all the channels for £87.40 a month.

Im paying £70 at the moment without Broadband. Im paying Plusnet a small fortune for slow speeds
    • info addict
    • By info addict 20th Jul 17, 11:40 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    info addict
    Currently on a SKY unlimited broadband package deal which ends August 10th. The current prices are - free broadband and £7.40 discount on line rental + £8 Anytime Calls = £19.59 per month.

Rang three times last week telling them I was going to leave due to the impending increase of £10 broadband, £18.99 line rental and £8 call package = £36.99 per month. The best offer I received was free broadband and after a lot of negotiation a £20 credit. I told them this wasn't good enough to keep me and I would switch providers. This I implemented on 18th July.

Received a text from Sky yesterday saying sorry to loose you and if I wanted any info on charges etc I should call them, which I did. When asked why I was leaving, I told them because of cost (quite happy to stay with Sky). They then offered me a great deal of £10 broadband, free line rental and £8 Anytime Calls = £18.00 per month for a new 12 month contract. I accepted and cancelled my new provider.

Just goes to show that the best deals are only available after you actually start to leave them and not before.
    • awchowdhury
    • By awchowdhury 24th Jul 17, 4:59 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    awchowdhury
    Currently on a SKY unlimited broadband package deal which ends August 10th. The current prices are - free broadband and £7.40 discount on line rental + £8 Anytime Calls = £19.59 per month.

Rang three times last week telling them I was going to leave due to the impending increase of £10 broadband, £18.99 line rental and £8 call package = £36.99 per month. The best offer I received was free broadband and after a lot of negotiation a £20 credit. I told them this wasn't good enough to keep me and I would switch providers. This I implemented on 18th July.

Received a text from Sky yesterday saying sorry to loose you and if I wanted any info on charges etc I should call them, which I did. When asked why I was leaving, I told them because of cost (quite happy to stay with Sky). They then offered me a great deal of £10 broadband, free line rental and £8 Anytime Calls = £18.00 per month for a new 12 month contract. I accepted and cancelled my new provider.

Just goes to show that the best deals are only available after you actually start to leave them and not before.
    Originally posted by info addict
    Hi, what number did you ring please?
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 24th Jul 17, 5:12 PM
    • 30,126 Posts
    • 19,067 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Hi, what number did you ring please?
    Originally posted by awchowdhury
    Number for retentions at a guess.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • marie m
    • By marie m 9th Aug 17, 1:48 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    marie m
    I am currently with Virgin Media been with them and previous company 20 years told them I was leaving and was telephoned 2 days later to be told go elsewhere for my tv package but stay with Virgin for my broadband even though I said wanted all my bills in one place.
    I am now shopping around for another provider as I am not such a valued customer to Virgin Media.
    • dave2k
    • By dave2k 29th Aug 17, 5:06 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    dave2k
    Haggling Service
    Hi,

I am a software developer and I thought of a service which may be of use to you...

How about a website which does the bill haggling for us? Not everyone has the time to spend ages talking to people on the other end of the phone.

The website would take any details required by sky/bt/etc and would do the negotiations on your behalf, and would notify you if any progress is made.

The way I envision it currently is that you'd pay in a small fee, perhaps £15, which would cover the cost of the negotiating. If no deal happens, you get your money back. If a better deal is negotiated, you don't get the money back, and you contribute a small % of your savings to the website.

Thoughts please!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 29th Aug 17, 7:46 PM
    • 6,316 Posts
    • 19,227 Thanks
    Doc N
    Sounds like an excellent idea, if nobody's already doing it. The fee could even be avoided altogether if the service provider paid a commission to the negotiation service - though that might raise legal issues.

Not everyone enjoys negotiating a deal (always amazes me how many people pay list price for a car, and how many people are still on standard energy contracts) - this could be perfect for them.

Dragons' Den next?
    • ryan121
    • By ryan121 3rd Sep 17, 10:51 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    ryan121
    Hi,

I am a software developer and I thought of a service which may be of use to you...

How about a website which does the bill haggling for us? Not everyone has the time to spend ages talking to people on the other end of the phone.

The website would take any details required by sky/bt/etc and would do the negotiations on your behalf, and would notify you if any progress is made.

The way I envision it currently is that you'd pay in a small fee, perhaps £15, which would cover the cost of the negotiating. If no deal happens, you get your money back. If a better deal is negotiated, you don't get the money back, and you contribute a small % of your savings to the website.

Thoughts please!
    Originally posted by dave2k
    This is already being done. A service called mespo contacts your providers and simply takes a percentage of the savings they make for you. It's early days but very interesting.

https://www.mespo.co.uk/
    • Judi
    • By Judi 5th Sep 17, 10:38 PM
    • 15,181 Posts
    • 62,040 Thanks
    Judi
    Has anybody had a better deal out of VM than £25.25 a month for 50Mbps broadband? Its going up a couple of pounds a month in November but i'm wondering if its worth phoning retentions to get at least the increase dropped.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

671Posts Today

6,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin