Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 13
    • bluedove
    • By bluedove 23rd Nov 16, 12:02 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    bluedove
    I have had no success in reducing my bills with virgin despite trying 3 times over 3 months. In the end I cancelled my contract.

3 days later have received a call from the outbound team who have reduced my monthly fee from 108 to 46 per month and increased my broadband to 200mb.

I mentioned that I cancelled because none of the retentions would give me a discount and he was surprised but said that they can't give a good a deal as the outbound team who call you after you cancel.
    Originally posted by perbinder
    Gave my notice last night, i hope i get a call from the outbound team otherwise i will be leaving virgin after 10 years
    anyone know how to get to this outbound team?
    Though the vision may not be the true future of man but it can't be completely beyond his control.
    • Hargreaves1910
    • By Hargreaves1910 7th Dec 16, 4:32 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Hargreaves1910
    My Sky contract ended a couple of months ago and the price went up. I rang today and threatened to cancel and although I've only got a basic package the lovely Amy in Retentions gave me 40% off so I've got the same deal but paying less than last year by a few coppers!
    • Banaper
    • By Banaper 22nd Dec 16, 2:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Banaper
    60% off Sky TV
    Came to the end of previously negotiated deal with Sky and called to see what they would offer. Didn't like what they offered so asked to cancel (have to give 31 days cancellation notice). Received various phone calls from Sky retention team - but never at home when they called. 10 days after giving cancellation notice received email offering 60% off Sky TV package for the next 12 months. The next day also received a letter from Sky offering 60% off any TV package for next 12 months. Saved £273.60
    Last edited by Banaper; 22-12-2016 at 2:41 PM.
    • ElaneF57
    • By ElaneF57 8th Jan 17, 4:40 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ElaneF57
    Took 5 minutes to save £126
    We have been with Virgin for our broadband, TV + phone for a few years now so thought it was time to look at what other deals there were we currently pay £75.97 per month plus telephone calls and have two tivo boxes. Moving to BT would have been £56.99 per month plus telephone calls with only one box. We really didn't want the hassle of moving and their broadband speeds weren't as good as Virgin. So I rang Virgin and went through the 'Thinking of leaving us' option and got straight through to someone, I explained we were looking at moving due to the cost and he asked did we want to keep the same services we currently have and I said 'Ideally yes' and he immediately offered to drop the price to £64 a month for 6 months and then £67 per month after that. So all in a saving of £126 per year for a five minute free phone call. Well worth doing and absolutely no hassle or even haggling.
    • editor1
    • By editor1 9th Jan 17, 3:57 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    editor1
    Don'y haggle with PlusNet is all I can say, went back to them clearly stating could get Sky broadband, unlimited phone calls and 12 month rental contract for £20 per month, that's without CashBack, PN offered a poor deal to stay, essentially 12 month value rental and unlimited calls at £6.50 a month - no cutback offer whatsoever, so having cancelled original contract I signed with Sky last week at 25.40, re-contracted at £20 based on the MSE Sky offer highlighted today, now paying £40 less a year than last week.
    • Carlianne75
    • By Carlianne75 25th Jan 17, 9:12 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Carlianne75
    Sky's the limit !!
    Hi
    Had great success today in reducing my sky package fee from £87 to £53 !!! I just was very polite, explained I felt it was getting out of hand and that I could get the same channels that I regularly watch fore nearly half price elsewhere. I was asked the name of the company I was thought of going with and after a ten minute chat with a very helpful agent, she reduced it quite significantly for me.
    • phillw1968
    • By phillw1968 30th Jan 17, 10:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    phillw1968
    Great result from Sky, cancelled my Sky package today inc. Broadband, TV & Talk package, which spiralled to £80 month. I explained I was leaving and joining BT, they came back with a £19 discount and also downgraded my TV package from Box sets to Original bundle, hence I declined their offer.
    I took Martin's advice and checked my Interactive account on the TV as suggested, and they came back with a counter offer of 60% discount, package is now £42 month with exactly same spec package as I am currently on.....Result!! Thanks Martin Lewis
    • deza63
    • By deza63 4th Feb 17, 12:15 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    deza63
    Sky TV Package only
    I phoned to cancel, and I was offered my full TV package at 40% for 10mths provided I signed up to 12mths with my existing box. I was already on 50% off for 12mths which was coming to an end. I told them no and to put notice on my account, I waited an hour, logged back in and was offered 60% off my package (full Tv Package) which means am paying less than £30 for the full tv package.

I had heard from friends who used to work for sky that advisors were not allowed to offer the 60% or 50% package, and it was only available when you logged into your online account.
    • L33bou
    • By L33bou 5th Feb 17, 2:04 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    L33bou
    So you rang and cancelled with sky your whole pacakge??

Then waited and logged in to your online account and you had an offer of 60% discount to stay with them??

Just wanted to clarify as the best they could offer me today was £70.39!!!
    • L33bou
    • By L33bou 6th Feb 17, 7:51 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    L33bou
    I phoned to cancel, and I was offered my full TV package at 40% for 10mths provided I signed up to 12mths with my existing box. I was already on 50% off for 12mths which was coming to an end. I told them no and to put notice on my account, I waited an hour, logged back in and was offered 60% off my package (full Tv Package) which means am paying less than £30 for the full tv package.

I had heard from friends who used to work for sky that advisors were not allowed to offer the 60% or 50% package, and it was only available when you logged into your online account.
    Originally posted by deza63
    So you rang and cancelled with sky your whole package??

Then waited and logged in to your online account and you had an offer of 60% discount to stay with them??

Just wanted to clarify as the best they could offer me today was £70.39!!!
    • mike_paterson
    • By mike_paterson 17th Feb 17, 12:41 PM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    mike_paterson
    I put in my cancellation today - as I was on 50% discount the cancellation lady could offer no more.

I then checked my Sky Interactive and was offered 60% off.
    To infinity and beyond!
    • GRAHAM SCOTT
    • By GRAHAM SCOTT 19th Feb 17, 3:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GRAHAM SCOTT
    Haggled With the AA and I WON!
    Just haggled with the AA for breakdown cover was Quoted £348 per year NOW £220 saving £128 Thanks Martin.
    • peteywoods
    • By peteywoods 26th Feb 17, 9:29 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    peteywoods
    Sky "Admin fee"
    Just spoke to Sky who offered me a derisory 15% discount on my Sky TV package and on top of this wanted to charge me a £10 admin fee for the privilege! Needless to say I have now cancelled my TV package - they just take the p*** with customer loyalty!
    • rgwm
    • By rgwm 27th Feb 17, 6:19 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    rgwm
    Decided after 20 years with Virgin (and its fore-runners, back to Nynex!) it was time I did something about the escalating bill for my package. As Martin suggested, chatted with the Disconnection team lady in a friendly, humorous, fashion - laid on the "20-year customer" and gave them the target of the EE and BT offers for phone/Broadband/TV. Said I was happy to drop from 70Mb to 50Mb as we aren't heavy users / streamers, and could drop to the basic TV package - we mainly watch BBC and a few other channels that are on Freeview-type packages.

With no issue was offered a drop from £57 month to £40 month - on the lower TV package, but keeping the 70Mb speed, and with the first month free . Only a 12 month contract, and we'll get a Tivo box (which we haven't had before) and apparently a new router too, as they are rolling them out.

Overall happy with that - no disruption, no need for a new phone line to be installed, and a £20 per month drop in the cost. Of course I should have done it ages ago.......
    • Ankara
    • By Ankara 2nd Mar 17, 3:11 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ankara
    AA Renewal
    Received my annual "we make it up as we go along and hope you don't notice the massive increase in your breakdown cover" renewal from The AA today. In their letter they thanked me for being a loyal customer for the past 13 years and were going to bill me £219.99 for a further 12 months cover. Like I've done for the past 7 or 8 years, I phoned them and got it reduced to £110. The most ridiculous renewal quote was about 5 years ago for an eye-watering £264. It makes you wonder just how many thousands of customers just let their renewal take care of itself via Direct debit and don't realise that they are getting ripped off year after year.
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 3rd Mar 17, 5:53 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    craigr98
    Just gone into My Offers on the Sky website and says Sky Movies for just £9 a month doesn't say for how long? That seems like a good deal..
    • mfrankland28
    • By mfrankland28 8th Mar 17, 1:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mfrankland28
    Five minutes is all it takes
    Received an email from my mobile service provider offering a cheap broadband deal which, coupled with a recent communication from my current broadband provider (Sky) announcing a line rental increase, made me think about how much I spend on broadband. Immediately rang Sky, explained the alternative offer and within minutes had negotiated £7.50 per month off of my bill, saving me £90 for the year!
    • SeduLOUs
    • By SeduLOUs 8th Mar 17, 5:14 PM
    • 2,094 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    SeduLOUs
    Sky TV
    Was on the MSE deal with full HD TV package inc movies and sports for £30 a month (total Sky bill £52.40 with broadband and line rental).

Wasn't expecting to do very well as the deal I was on was pretty decent anyway. I was happy to lose movies and sports but wanted to keep other channels in HD.

Initial deal offered was to lose movies and sports and reduce my total bill to £40 a month so I told them to cancel. Retentions phoned me today and have offered £33.50 a month.

Lost movies and sports but ~£20 a month better off
    • lancer165l
    • By lancer165l 9th Mar 17, 6:29 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    lancer165l
    sky tv phone broadband bundle
    phoned sky today ,told them i was thinking of leaving,got reduction from £70.15 to £51.24 including free calls even to mobiles 24/7 first hour free.Cheaper than virgin £49 plus caller id plus charges for all calls.The answer is no unless you ask as my dad always said.
    • Hummingbirdy
    • By Hummingbirdy 15th Mar 17, 2:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Hummingbirdy
    Couldn't lose my virginity.

Try as I might Virgin are not budging on my package/pricing. My inner-London neighbourhood is still ancient copper except for a few streets where fibre cable (for TV) was laid back in the late 80's. The company which laid the cable went bust and it never got used. After years and years of poor broadband speeds, connection and line drops I contacted Virgin about using the fibre that had previously been laid and was going unused. They told me that they could not offer Fibre as there were no optical cables in my area. Piqued, I sent them photographs of all the fibre cable caps fitted along my street and a few others. I received a reply where I was told that the stretches of cable I had drawn attention to were not on any maps for the area and they would send a technician to check and see if those cables were (a) really there and (b) viable. A year passed and I heard no more. Then, one day noticed a Virgin Van parked adjacent to the BT Box on our street. I asked the engineer what he was doing and he said they were testing the fibre cables.

I spent the next year phoning Virgin Media every few months to see if the fibre had gone live. Each enquiry met with vacuousness. Slowly I lost faith in BT or any other company bringing first world internet tech to my neighbourhood and my broadband speed never exceeded 5mbps. Eighteen months after all my efforts to try and get a better broadband service and no confirmation from Virgin I returned from an overseas holiday and noticed brown plastic caps rising from the old cable access covers to neighbours walls.... WT*! I asked my immediate neighbour what the covers were for and was told Virgin had leafleted the area and were offering broadband speeds of 100mbps. From then till today around 50 people in my neighbourhood are now connected to what is probably the fastest consumer broadband in the UK; 200mbps. The speed I now have. Virgin have always charged me full whack for the broadband refusing to budge as they know the only fallback we all have is to the dreadful 5mbps copper system which represents the best BT can do in our area.
    I feel rather cheated that Virgin has acquired tens (possibly over 100) of new customers from my actions and yet they wont budge a penny on my fees.
    Privatisation stinks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,645Posts Today

6,043Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin