Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 12
    • chachiluz
    • By chachiluz 11th May 16, 7:49 PM
    • 843 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    chachiluz
    Success with sky
    After a few phone calls:
    free broadband
    35% tv package
    50% extra room

A happy customer! I wish they did it without having to keep ringing!
    • dazzc
    • By dazzc 26th May 16, 9:36 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    dazzc
    Was paying £74 per month with Sky.
    Now out of contract so I enquired about what deal they could offer me.

I was offered 25% discount for 6 months then full price for remaining 6 months.

I went online and was offered my existing package on a monthly rolling contract at £49 per month

£26 per month saving!

****Logged into my Sky app on my phone today, surprise surprise they have offered me 50% discount (worth £37 per month saving)
    Last edited by dazzc; 27-05-2016 at 7:55 PM. Reason: Update
    Advice..........usually offered by someone recycling their bad experience
    • citycatalyst
    • By citycatalyst 3rd Jun 16, 4:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    citycatalyst
    Sky giving Discount to their existing Customers.
    Hi
    Just spoke to lovely chap in Sky retentions
    I was coming to the end of a fantastic 12 month contract (free broadband & 1/2 price line rental) & said as I was v. price concious & although I loved their service, I was off to Talk talk
    He offered me on a 12 mth contract ; free broadband, & discount of £7.40 per mth off the £17.40 phone line rental, (=£10 per mth)
    I said Talk talk offer is free broad band, then line rental of £198 per year and £120 voucher , so he went off & came back with a £48 credit to my a/c
    all in all costs me £6 per month for line rental & BROADBAND. YEAH!!:
    BTW All new SKY customers can get free broadband + £100 m&s voucher with Sky + £66 cash back thru topcash. So if u take 1 years line rental @ £17.40 per mth (= £4.10 per mth cost if you factor in the M&S vouuher as 'cash')
    Cat
    • vegyballs
    • By vegyballs 4th Jun 16, 11:50 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    vegyballs
    Virgin Haggle
    Hi. Another success to report. Just haggled with Virgin. Same package as before but saving £144 a year. Thanks for the advice
    • dobbiesloan
    • By dobbiesloan 23rd Jun 16, 5:12 PM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 2,312 Thanks
    dobbiesloan
    M&S Credit Card
    Just had my first statement from M&S Credit Card (you know, the one Martin was on about with the free £30 to spend in M&S and the extra £5 for the banana)? Well I used it on £10 on their meal deal and saved a few quid. Got my first statement today and it only had 10 points on it so I phoned them to complain about the missing 500.
    First he said it would be added after I had earned 200 points so I quoted what Martin had said about the banana. After putting me on hold for a couple of mins he said it would be on my next statement so I asked him to send me one now with the points on it. He said he could not do that so I asked him for some compensation for the inconvenience.So he added an extra 500 points.
    As I don't have to spend my £30 voucher until the end of August it means I will have £40 to spend.
    result
    GONE ENGLAND
    • grey_eyed_wolf
    • By grey_eyed_wolf 10th Jul 16, 11:44 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    grey_eyed_wolf
    Plusnet giving discounts to existing customers!
    Hello, sorry for posting again, I think this might be the better place for the info? I'm a forum newbie, still getting used to it!

I just wanted to share my experience as an existing Plusnet customer who was facing a £27.98/month cost after FOUR line rental increases during my time with them. Received the email about a week ago informing me of the new prices.

RESULT: Managed to secure their new customer deal of £18.98/month (rising to £19.98 in September '16 – still cheaper!) – existing customers, it really is worth calling them!
    This is a total yearly saving of £119.88 so I'm super pleased I bothered to call them!

I called the customer services number 0800 4320200 and selected 'If you're thinking of leaving us' option. This takes you straight through to the disconnections (customer retention) department.

I had a friendly chap, which always helps, and told him in a super polite way that:
    – Since I joined Plusnet 3 years ago, I've experienced a total of 4 line rental increases.
    – I've done my research and will unfortunately 'have' to leave Plusnet to save money, as the only good deals in the market are for new customers (quoted prices from BT, Talk Talk)
    – I think it's a bit unfair that new Plusnet customers will be paying £119.88 LESS than me per year, and feel that older customers are propping up the savings given to new customers (I think this bit was vital in me getting the deal, knowing the numbers seemed to jolt him into action a bit!)

He put me on hold, I listened to The Human League for a couple of minutes, and then he offered me:
    – New customer rate of £18.98 / month, rising to £19.98 /month in Sept 2016 due to nationwide line rental increases. This is a total cost of £215.88 / year, saving me a whopping £119.88!!

I didn't receive the £50 new customer voucher, obviously, but this saving is now cheaper than swapping to BT (when the hassle and router cost etc is considered).

I said, yes please! This is my first MSE experience and I'm amazed at the results I got! If anyone wants any more tips or info on how I got the deal, let me know and I'd be happy to help
    Save
    • ed1.crouch
    • By ed1.crouch 24th Jul 16, 4:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ed1.crouch
    My Sky Haggle [success!] TV ONLY
    Thought i'd add my experience with Sky….

So i signed up to sky Aug-2015. After some online hunting for a sky code i rang up, went though the "what would i like out of sky TV" [i already knew what i wanted] and we then started chatting about the price.
    The guy offer me 6mths half price on a 12mth contract. i was prepared for this and told him about my "50% off for 12mths " code and so my Family Package & Boxsets that was going to cost me £38 per mth went down to an awesome £19 instead! Happy me!
    i was happy to pay the £10 set up fee as i had already saved myself a hell of a lot more than that anyway.

12 months later …..

I ring up sky Today [July] after seeing that my bill for Aug was going to be £38 as my discount had run its course. after 20mins on hold [free on my mobile] i finally got through to someone!
    She asked me what i watched on my skybox….basically trying to work out if it was worth me staying on the family package or not. I said that i used all of the services i had including the box sets [little white lie but never mind] and that the service was fantastic so far.
    After a lot of typing and being put on hold again she offered me the same package for £28.80 per mth. i said that was still more than what i was paying now and she agreed…on hold again….then after 5mins she came back with the same package for £22.80, 40% off. Perfect!
    • Bunji
    • By Bunji 25th Jul 16, 4:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bunji
    Hastings Direct - Result
    Decided to take Martins haggling advice. How pleased am I?

Last years motor ins was £27 pm
    Renewal quote £35 pm
    Rang with haggling head on.........
    New Quote £25 pm for same extras PLUS breakdown cover and reduction from £100 to £0 excess

Happyhappyhappyhappy Sky next on the haggle list!
    • Bunji
    • By Bunji 25th Jul 16, 5:19 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bunji
    Sky Disaster-ish
    After success with Hastings Direct I turned my attention to Sky. No real joy.
    Current package is £74pm for TV, Broadband, Phone and line rental. Got put straight through to "retentions" who just tried to downgrade everything I have.
    Finally ended up with reduction from £74 to £60.

Have a 31 day cooling off period so will cancel in a day or two and see if I get further offers. Even told them Talk Talk can do (virtually) same deal for £37 pm, which is true. No reaction.
    • sharpshot
    • By sharpshot 3rd Aug 16, 5:38 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sharpshot
    .....Even told them Talk Talk can do (virtually) same deal for £37 pm, which is true. No reaction.
    Originally posted by Bunji
    Why not do the Talk Talk deal then? I used to like haggling with Sky but when they couldn't offer me a deal that was as good as a competitor, I left. They have gradually taken over most of the sport that was on the BBC and are charging for it and including adverts. I love watching sport but now I watch a lot of films instead and can go and watch some live sport with the money I've saved.

The other reason I didn't like Sky was that they make it so easy to upgrade TV packages online but you have to phone them to cancel and that can be a hassle. I wish it was a legal requirement that if you sign up for something online, you can cancel it online.
    • skyepark
    • By skyepark 3rd Aug 16, 12:03 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    skyepark
    I was putting off calling plusnet net but i spoke to the options team,

they offered me the 17.99 line rental charge (from 1 sept)but if I paid the whole year in one go off It would work out 15.49. I put this on my 0% interest credit card. Then a monthly charge reduced from 9.99 to 2.50 a month and i chose to extend this to an 18 month contract. Not bad. I had never received these emails before notifying me of contract changes and had been seeing the price go up in the past 3 years.
    • gannite
    • By gannite 6th Aug 16, 8:55 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    gannite
    when my contract was coming up for renewal I rang TalkTalk and was offered 12Months Fiber free.
    • Stevev99
    • By Stevev99 9th Aug 16, 11:33 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 167 Thanks
    Stevev99
    Sky discount for existing customer - just done this.
    To cut a long story short...
    Was on a 12 month basic package plus Sports at 50% discount which finished in May 2016.
    Cancelled ignoring their usual 'you can have a 5 year deal at 33% nonsense'

First letter arrived beginning July offering 'come back at 33%'
    Ignored...
    2nd letter arrived 'come back for 50% off'
    Just rang them and it's a rolling contract so can cancel at anytime giving a month's notice and did the usual 'is that really the best you can do?' and so have now got all the Sports channels for £23.75 plus they added a £50 credit on account!!

That'll do nicely for the football season for me since already have BT Sports.
    • Daveboy
    • By Daveboy 17th Sep 16, 9:13 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Daveboy
    Sky cancellation deals
    Hi

I phoned Sky a couple of weeks ago to cancel my TV, phone and broadband package as my MSE deal from last year was coming to an end. They didn't offer me anything special so I went ahead and cancelled. I've since arranged to switch to Talk Talk for phone and broadband, but obviously Sky want to try and keep me as a TV customer. I received a text the other day with a link to an offer of 60% off any TV package I want, on a new 12 month contract. I think it's around the 29th September my 30 days notice ends and my TV package finishes. Is 60% off likely to be the best they'll offer me without haggling, or should I sit tight and expect an improved offer before I call them to get a better offer?

Thanks
    David
    • Willja
    • By Willja 7th Oct 16, 2:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Willja
    Sky and BT Broadband successes
    Had some joy with both BT and Sky this week with haggling. Just finished a call with Sky where I've told them to cancel my account. I was offered verbally 25% off which I refused and he also offered a deal for £20 discounted to £10 for a basic TV package (no HD limited channels) which I also refused. So service will stop in 31 days.
    Went online to the My Sky page and sitting there was a 50% discount for 10 months offer to stay immediately following the call. I'll tough it out till the end of the month though.

Called BT to renegotiate my Broadband earlier in the week and after telling them I was going to go to EE for their £12.50/month offer for Fibre BB, I got a £10/month offer from them reduced from £26(?). That said, their Indian Call Centre seem to have mucked that deal up somehow but it's being investigated, so fingers crossed.
    • coffdrops
    • By coffdrops 12th Oct 16, 10:00 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    coffdrops
    I've never haggled in my life, but with Virgin's latest price increase, I decided enough was enough. I rang Virgin on 150 and got through to retentions. Having armed myself with prices from BT, I told them I was leaving and was immediately offered the best they could do, which was £34 a month - down from £49 a month for superfast broadband and phone. Pretty good, but I said I needed to think about it and I would call them back. I rang back an hour later and said that it didn't really compare to BT's offer and was then offered £28.99 a month with free lifetime caller display. I accepted and felt pretty chuffed with my first ever haggle. Just under £50 a month down to £29 and lifetime caller display. I'll be doing this again!
    • Katzen
    • By Katzen 17th Oct 16, 7:00 PM
    • 502 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    Katzen
    RAC renewal: initial quote on paperwork £73. Phone call last week from Dave, said could do £62.80. Last year I got it for £49.80 so I played hard to get. Said I'd think about it. Just off the phone with Rhys, his best price was £54.80. When I brought up that it was more than last year, he offered to do 14months instead of 12 at that price. So last year I paid £4.15/month and this year it's £3.91! That'll do
    • lorrs58
    • By lorrs58 27th Oct 16, 6:11 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    lorrs58
    Virgin failure
    Just called Virgin to get a better deal. Currently paying £29.00 for Broadband and Telephone anytime with caller display. Was told my bill was going to be going up to £39.00. Ended up giving 30 days notice. Any ideas who to go to Sky or BT ?
    • tenuissent
    • By tenuissent 3rd Nov 16, 12:50 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    tenuissent
    A phone call to AA just now reduced their current car insurance quote by £70.

I had asked why, when AA itself says average quotes are up by 16%, ours was up by 30%. Answer: the government added insurance tax. Question: is that not already factored into the AA statement? Answer: no. So how much is it? Answer: 10% of last year's premium. Question: that leaves ours raised by 20% after allowing for the raised tax....why? And then I was offered a £70 reduction. Is that reasonable? And does the AA's estimate of 16% average rise in car insurance really not include the government tax?
    • perbinder
    • By perbinder 21st Nov 16, 9:34 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    perbinder
    Virgin
    I have had no success in reducing my bills with virgin despite trying 3 times over 3 months. In the end I cancelled my contract.

3 days later have received a call from the outbound team who have reduced my monthly fee from 108 to 46 per month and increased my broadband to 200mb.

I mentioned that I cancelled because none of the retentions would give me a discount and he was surprised but said that they can't give a good a deal as the outbound team who call you after you cancel.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,883Posts Today

6,640Users online

Martin's Twitter