Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Argos Credit Card - Can it be Transfered? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Argos Credit Card - Can it be Transfered?
Closed Thread
Views: 12,730
# 1
drfella
Old 16-04-2005, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Argos Credit Card - Can it be Transfered?

Hello,

Does anyone know if it's possible to tranfer an Argos Credit card to an interest free deal?

I normally move my credit cards to interest free deals however I'm not sure if I can does this with my Argos credit card, which is more like a store card as it can only be used within Argos. At the moment it's costing me a fortune, paying minimum payment of 15.25 every month but incurring 9.98 interest

Cheers.
# 2
Jacster
Old 16-04-2005, 3:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Follow this link to Martin's article on best balance transfers.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi...07182516,76509,

A balance transfer can be done from credit and store cards. Some cards even do balance transfers from loans and overdrafts. Read up and get applying - you don't need to pay that interest.
# 3
tigs78
Old 16-04-2005, 4:59 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I too had an Argos store card, handy for the 12 months interest free deal but it has a hideous interest rate after that.

After my 12 months was up I attempted to transfer the balance to Barclaycard and they said that they were unable to do this initially, as if you look at the series of numbers on your Argos card you will find there are 15 wheras all other store/credit cards have 16 so it kept coming up as an invalid number. They were extremely helpful and arranged to send a cheque to Argos, this is NOT the same as using one of your own credit card cheques which are usually charged at cash rate, this cheque was charged at the promotional balance transfer rate.

Recently I attempted to do the same thing with Capital One, they were less helpful and said it was not possible (not because it is a storecard but because of the 15 digit error). I explained that Barclaycard had done it in the past via a cheque but this didn't sway them...

... so barclaycard got my money agagin, turned out to be a better rate as apparently Barclaycard have special deals for existing customers, they don't tell you about them though you have to ask!

Hope this helps
# 4
Cardinal-Red
Old 17-04-2005, 10:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just out of interest, what rate did you get from Barclaycard?
The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
# 5
tigs78
Old 17-04-2005, 1:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Cardinal-Red

The bulk of my Barclaycard is at 2.9% for the life of the balance, I ended up transferring not only my argos card but also my capital one card to Barclaycard at 5.9% for the life of the balance... I know it's not the best deal around but my credit rating is not the best so i'm chuffed with that.
# 6
Cardinal-Red
Old 17-04-2005, 5:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just as I thought.

I have a dwindling balance on 2.9% now but they keep offering me another life of balance transfer at 5.9%.

Was just wondering if they were holding back a better offer...

Did you know Texaco are doing 3.9% for life of balance... (if you're interested)...
The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
Closed Thread