Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 1st Apr 13, 9:51 AM
    • 20,204Posts
    • 12,458Thanks
    dacouch
    Things John said
    • 1st Apr 13, 9:51 AM
    Things John said 1st Apr 13 at 9:51 AM
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/40323/insurance-write-off-with-hastings-direct
Page 5
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 25th Aug 17, 5:34 AM
    • 784 Posts
    • 323 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    The FOS fee hasn't been £500 for a long time now.

It's incredulous how much bad advice he can cram into one answer!
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 25th Aug 17, 9:04 PM
    • 20,204 Posts
    • 12,458 Thanks
    dacouch

It's incredulous how much bad advice he can cram into one answer!
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    Funny you should say that, further to this I posted on the 4th of August (Note the date)...

Question...

"My father has died - can I drive his car on my insurance until it's sold?
    My 92 year old father has passed away having recently renewed his insurance. I have always had permission to drive his car using my insurance cover, although it only covers me third party. Is it legal for me to drive the car until it is sold?"

Insurance Guru's answer...

"Sorry to hear of your loss. No, because the person who holds the contract is now deceased, the contract is unenforceable. Contact his insurer and advise them of the situation and ask for a refund in full if it was within 14 days. No charge should be made. If it was longer than that, dependent on how he paid, they are allowed to charge a cancellation fee, but will recredit the source of payment for any remaining months. You will need to re-insure to continue using it. It will however show on MIAFTR as having a contract of insurance in place if it was not cancelled, which would cover you on the extension of use on your policy."

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/82750/my-father-has-died---can-i-drive-his-car-on-my-insurance-until-it-s-sold-

A challenge for readers, how many mistakes can you spot in this answer.

I will weigh in with 5 mistakes, can anyone better this figure?
    Originally posted by dacouch
    Question..."Can my spouse legally drive my car while I serve a six month driving ban?
    I understand my car insurance may be void whilst serving a six month ban. If I add my spouse to the policy, could she still drive the car?"

"You would no longer be the main user. So if your spouse used it daily, it would be breaching the terms and conditions of the policy. If you insured her as the main driver, then you would be fine.This would mean a fresh policy. If you wanted to continue to use your policy, she would really need to have access to her own car and be the main user of that, to be a secondary user of yours."

Note the date is the 22/08/2017

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/84006/can-my-spouse-legally-drive-my-car-while-i-serve-a-six-month-driving-ban-

I also give you....

Question...

"Can someone drive my car while I'm serving a driving ban or is my insurance void?
    Is it okay for someone else to drive my car while I'm serving a disqualification, or is the insurance void as it's only insured for me to drive? Can someone with third party cover on their insurance policy drive it?"

"Your insurance is technically void as you no longer have a license to drive. It's contractual that you do, though it does fall into a grey area. The contract of insurance is covering the vehicle as well as you, and it may have been a policy covering more than one person. Plus the need by law for a vehicle to be permanently insured if it is on the road. This being the case, you would not be breaching the terms and conditions of the contract, as you would not be driving, so your own insurance would not cover you. But the vehicle would have a policy on it, satisfying the minimum road risk element of the Road Traffic Act. This would then mean that someone could use your car on their own insurance policy.

There's a case, called Kelly V Cornhill Insurance Company, where the policyholder died, but gave permission to his son to use the car on his policy prior to death. It was found the ontract of insurance was still in place even though the "contractee" was no longer party to the contract. Based on this, the answer would be yes. The easiest way of finding out is by asking your insurer directly."

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/83878/can-someone-drive-my-car-while-i-m-serving-a-driving-ban-or-is-my-insurance-void-

Note the date on that one is the 21/08/17
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 9th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 20,204 Posts
    • 12,458 Thanks
    dacouch
    Question...

"My insurance was voided due to accidental misrepresentation - can I fight this decision?
    I stated on a comparison website that I am a resident in the UK from birth, when in fact I've only lived in the UK since 02010. The insurer asked for some documents shortly after the policy was taken out. Later they called to tell me that they think I misrepresented myself deliberately to get cheaper insurance. They voided my insurance instantly. Is there any chance of fighting their decision?"

Insurance Guru's Answer...

"Yes, you can raise a complaint with them and then escalate to the financial ombudsman. Requote yourself again via the same website and same insurer, this time ticking the right box, and see if they are willing to provide cover. If they do, do a screen print as evidence and save it. This shows they should not have voided the policy, but amended and charged you extra. The only time a policy can be cancelled is when it's fraudulent or wilful misrepresentation, where the insurer would not have provided cover had it have known otherwise. If you can prove they would have, then they will have to reinstate the policy whilst ensuring you are not negatively affected in any way."

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/84906/my-insurance-was-voided-due-to-accidental-misrepresentation---can-i-fight-this-decision-

Bearing in mind IG incorrectly quotes the Consumer Insurance Act in cases that are entirely irrelevant, you would think he would understand how it works on a case it actually covers...
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 14th Sep 17, 10:26 PM
    • 20,204 Posts
    • 12,458 Thanks
    dacouch
    Question...

"How do rental car companies deal with the thousands of US tourists who drive on UK roads if insurance is so expensive?
    How do rental car companies deal with the thousands of US tourists who drive on UK roads if insurance is so expensive?"

"They operate on a block policy, i.e. covers any person for any risk whilst using their vehicles - rather than insuring the one person. If you hire out 20,000 cars a year for the whole year, and 200,000 people drive them, the risk is spread over the 200,000 people. Out of that, only 1000 may be American, you have a one in 200 x 365 days x 20,000 = 1.4609 million to one chance of claim (in principle). Compare this to an extremely high probability in comparison of one American driving in the UK on your policy, or their own policy on your car. There's no one to split the risk with. The probability of a foreigner with no knowledge of our highway code, road system, driving a right hand drive car on the left hand side of the road for the first time creates a high probability of risk."

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/85199/how-do-rental-car-companies-deal-with-the-thousands-of-us-tourists-who-drive-on-uk-roads-if-insurance-is-so-expensive-
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 14th Sep 17, 10:47 PM
    • 20,204 Posts
    • 12,458 Thanks
    dacouch
    Question...

"My insurer have increased my premium even though I didn't make a claim - can they do this?
    I contacted my insurers to inquire about getting some vandalism repaired on my Range Rover, but it turned out the excess on my policy (which also has protected NCB) was more than the cost of repairs so I did not proceed with the claim. Now I find the insurers are telling other companies who inquire that I have a claim against my policy. Are they allowed to do this? My daughter just passed her test and insured her first car adding me as a named driver - her insurers then added £120 to her premium because my insurers told them I had this "claim". Is there anything I can do to get them to stop this?"

"In short, no. Your insurer cannot penalise you for enquiring about a claim. Contact your insurer and raise a complaint. Demand they take these details off CUE, the underwriting database. Someone has logged a claim when they should not have done. Contact the financial ombudsman service and raise a complaint with them as well, should the insurer not resolve your situation to your satisfaction."

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/84947/my-insurer-have-increased-my-premium-even-though-i-didn-t-make-a-claim---can-they-do-this-
    • OnanTheBarbarian
    • By OnanTheBarbarian 15th Sep 17, 2:17 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    OnanTheBarbarian
    dear me
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 18th Sep 17, 8:55 PM
    • 20,204 Posts
    • 12,458 Thanks
    dacouch
    Question

"Someone hit my car with a shopping trolley - are they liable for the damage?
    Someone let his shopping trolley run free, which hit my tailgate causing £500 worth of damage. A witness saw what happened and took note of his car reg as he drove off. I've asked the DVLA for his details as well as the police and insurance company, but no one will supply me with any information so that I can take him to a civil court. Can you help?"

Insurance Guru Answer

"You're unfortunately stuck. As this wasn't a collision involving a vehicle, you have no entitlement to his name, address or insurer. It's a civil matter where he has caused damage to your property, rather than the use of his car too. What you can do is try and claim off the supermarket, as they may be liable whilst your vehicle was on their premises. It would then lie with them to try and trace the owner. But I think you'll probably be flogging a dead horse."

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/86363/someone-hit-my-car-with-a-shopping-trolley---are-they-liable-for-the-damage-
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,665Posts Today

8,506Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin