Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    oxfordmaggie
    Leaking/Overflow pipe under sink
    • 1st Apr 13, 9:30 AM
    Leaking/Overflow pipe under sink 1st Apr 13 at 9:30 AM
    Happy Easter moneysavers!

I have been using this website for a while now and can normally find an answer to my problem by searching theforums. No such luck this time though

I have taken a photo and circled the problem but not allowed to post as Iam a new user. WIll see if I can post later or can email it to anyone who has a minute to look.

I moved last year to a house where the kitchen had been recently updated, and noticed that water sometimes leaks from under my sink. It seems to have gotten much worse recently and i had a look. It seems like water from the main sink drain goes vertically down a pipe which is then connected to a horizontal pipe which connects to the drainer and the dishwasher, with the dishwasher pipe on the right and the u-bend directly beneath the drainer. The vertical pipe from the main sink is not 'sealed' where it joins the horizontal pipe(circled in red in the photo) and if too much water is drained down (i.e. emptying the washing up bowl)water bubbles up from the unsealed join between the horizontal and vertical pipe...

I have done a bit of plumbing before with varying success (i.e. installed a new inlet valve in toilet)but I don't even know really how to describe this to a plumber so any ideas even on how to say what the problem is would be very welcome. I also don't know any plumbers now that I've moved (to edinburgh) so not even sure how to describe or what kind of a job it might be in order to get a quote. It's not super urgent at the moment so I will be able to contact a few during the week if needed.

Any advice would be gratefully received, thanks very much in advance , sorry couldn;t get the picture up this time
    Maggie
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

250Posts Today

1,152Users online

Martin's Twitter