Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Food Shopping & Groceries > Can I use someone else's Tesco clubcard vouchers? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Can I use someone else's Tesco clubcard vouchers?
Views: 3,202
# 1
WOW Factor 0
BillyB
Old 26-03-2013, 6:26 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Can I use someone else's Tesco clubcard vouchers?

Hello,

I have been given some Tesco vouchers, the money ones worth over 20. Question is can I use them instore without the associated club card checkout and does it ask for approval when you use them at self checkout?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
consultant31
Old 26-03-2013, 6:50 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

My husband got a voucher after buying car insurance from Tesco. Since he doesn't shop I took it with me when I next went but it was refused at the checkout. Maybe it flags up when they scan the bar-code. Didn't try it at the self scan but probably worth a try!
Experience is a wonderful thing.
It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

# 3
BillyB
Old 26-03-2013, 7:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I wasn't sure if at the self scan it would come up with approval needed, like it does when you buy alcohol and then they'd ask to see proof of I'd or something.
# 4
JAG
Old 26-03-2013, 7:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
Hello,

I have been given some Tesco vouchers, the money ones worth over 20. Question is can I use them instore without the associated club card checkout and does it ask for approval when you use them at self checkout?
Thanks
Are these on the lines of week 1: 5 off 20 spend, week 2: 3 off a 20 spend etc, because I have used vouchers with a different name (given by family members) at the main tills. Just use them without a Clubcard so they cannot check they match up.
The Following User Says Thank You to JAG For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
BillyB
Old 26-03-2013, 7:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

No they are the ones you get from points statement based on how many points you get, they are the ones worth 5 and 3 and just scan them and it takes the money off your total, I was given them by a family member and we have the same surname but the show the clubcard number as xxxx-xxxx-1234 on the coupon so wasn't sure if is be able to use them at self scan.
# 6
ImDoingItForMe
Old 26-03-2013, 7:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you mean the blue ones which are for the points accrued over a period of time and are the big blue ones then no. Unless your lucky, most checkout operators asked for the clubcard when you use them and if you havnt got it they normally ask for another form of id which matches the name on the voucher(s). Edited just to say, you may get away with it if you have the same surname again dependant on the checkout operator at the tiem, unless you use self scan,
MAY GROCERY CHALLENGE 38.98/45
The Following User Says Thank You to ImDoingItForMe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
BillyB
Old 26-03-2013, 8:27 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ah I see thank you, Does it come up that approval is needed if you use them on self scan?
# 8
no1catman
Old 26-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyB View Post
No they are the ones you get from points statement based on how many points you get, they are the ones worth 5 and 3 and just scan them and it takes the money off your total, I was given them by a family member and we have the same surname but the show the clubcard number as xxxx-xxxx-1234 on the coupon so wasn't sure if is be able to use them at self scan.
If they were give to you by someone else in the family, for no problem, use their CC e.g. key fob.

With all the recent problems with fraudulent use of other people's vouchers, the Stores will taking more care with incorrect/no card use.
I may work for Tesco, but my 'posts' are mine, and not on behalf of Tesco.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no1catman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
sayahu
Old 26-03-2013, 10:56 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I requested extra keyfobs for family members on my account and they also have extra from their accounts so when we have vouchers we want to give each other we can also give the fob (although I leave mine with them on their keys which get used more then they use their own!).

Just borrow the fob / card as well.
# 10
VoucherMan
Old 27-03-2013, 6:29 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I've used these vouchers on the self service checkout before without scanning my Clubcard. They were my own vouchers but without an accompanying card there's no way to tell.

It just means you'll get no new points added to your account for the transaction.