Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 23rd Mar 13, 10:32 PM
    • 1,254Posts
    • 3,324Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Batten down the hatches.....
    • 23rd Mar 13, 10:32 PM
    Batten down the hatches..... 23rd Mar 13 at 10:32 PM
    Hello, I'm new! I've been lurking for a while but its time for me join in all the fun!!

In July 2012, I realised how much money I wasted. Not only frivolous things, but on household bills. Why pay more when I can get the same service for less?!

Since that point I have made quite a few changes, cut back on all the "painless" things I can and tried to keep my spending under control. I know I could do a lot better so in my attempt to do that, I thought I would start a diary to track progress, have a ramble and feel motivated to finally become debt free.

Last July, when I totalled up all my debts, it was around £5300 but then I thought it would be a good idea to add my holiday to my credit card Maybe my lightbulb had only flickered

As of today, my debts are as follows:

Overdraft - £1050 (mostly live in this)
    JD Williams - £260.66
    Nationwide credit card - £457.08
    Mint credit card - £3417.88
    TOTAL - £5185.62

So I'm a bit better off than I was in July 2012

I have got a plan and rightly or wrongly the order I've typed it in is it! I've £250 in an ISA and in March and April, I am aiming to save £800 and then pay off the overdraft in one fell swoop. I've tried the old spending a bit less and when I went on holiday in November, I did get it down to £450 but then since I've been back I've got distracted with clearing other debts its gone back up. I read somewhere that if I get the bank to reduce my overdraft, they would credit check me and I really could do without that (that's another story!). I don't think I've ever lived in credit. I've had a overdraft since I was at university and I've been happily unhappily living in it ever since. I'm 36 this year and if my plan works, I'll be living in the black by my birthday . Of course my other debts will still be there........

The big Mint card is the last thing to tackle as most of it is on a 0% until September. When I've cleared the other smaller debts, I'm hoping to get a longer term 0% credit card and balance transfer it.

My next job is to collate all the bits of paper where I have kept track of what I've saved by cancelling direct debits, and reducing bills by shopping around. I'm pretty sure its around £150 a month but it will be nice to see it written on here. I also want to collate all my other income streams such as cashback, surveys, tesco and nectar points and my nutella jar of change.

Right, best get on. Lots to do...
    Last edited by Orange Ena; 12-08-2015 at 7:24 PM.
Page 45
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Oct 17, 1:18 PM
    • 50,616 Posts
    • 193,740 Thanks
    beanielou
    Boo to the fall.
    Hope you are now on the mend.
    Great news on the move.
    It is starting to all come together now.
    So chuffed for you.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 8th Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 3,167 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    congratulations!!!!
    Apr 16 Total cc 0% debt £8364/3499 updated 15 Oct 17
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 8th Oct 17, 9:45 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 3,167 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    So pleased that it has happened! The plan worked! You would never have thought this was possible 18 months ago...now it's xmas in a new home new job new location....so please for you Ena, had a little tear when I saw the update. Must have some dust in my eye.
    Apr 16 Total cc 0% debt £8364/3499 updated 15 Oct 17
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Oct 17, 6:36 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 12,076 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I turn my back for 5 minutes and look what happens. Hoorah
    You have done it
    It must feel amazing to have turned your life around 360 degrees.
    So very pleased for you. YOU DID IT. Bowing down and walking backwards here
    The fall sounds rotten. I hope you recover quickly but everything is completely overshadowed by your amazing news.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/February 2018=795
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 8th Oct 17, 8:03 PM
    • 946 Posts
    • 2,716 Thanks
    lcc86
    Hi Ena,

So pleased to hear you've exchanged, that's FANTASTIC! So happy for you as I know how much you've wanted this! Hope the move goes well, I'm sure things will be hectic for the next few weeks but it will all be worth it in the end.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    25/08/17 £802 owed 21/12/17 cleared and determined to stay debt free this time
    £722/£1000 EF £718 saved for household jobs
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 9th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 3,418 Posts
    • 29,328 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Huge congratulations on exchanging but sorry to read of your injuries... hope you're ok soon.
    DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 27th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 3,324 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    I'm still alive...
    Just a really quick update to say:

1. I'm alive and well
    2. I've moved into my lovely flat
    3. I've handed my notice in and only have 6 weeks to work

Hurrah!

I have no internet though, and I can't even get on mobile internet so not been able to update. I've been very busy at work trying to get things caught up and every lunchtime I've been updating addresses and doing all those things that need doing when you move.

But....it's all good. I feel such a relief to have moved but also, to hand my notice in was amazing. I can't wait to finish now and not have to drive miles every day!!

Anyway, I shall be back at some point. I've hardly done any surveys due to no internet and I'm missing that, and generally debt busting. Been a wee bit spendy on house things. Once I'm back online, I'll catch up with everyone.

Have a brilliant weekend y'all.
    CC Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 April 17 - £2500 Dec 17 - £560
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £374.47
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 50,616 Posts
    • 193,740 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good to hear from you.
    Take care

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 28th Oct 17, 5:09 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 12,076 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    That is brilliant news. So good to think you are actually in your new flat. You are a true inspiration to me
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 30th Oct 17, 8:23 AM
    • 946 Posts
    • 2,716 Thanks
    lcc86
    Great to hear that you've moved Ena and that everything you've wanted for such a long time is now coming together. Hope to hear from you soon.
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my original diary
    25/08/17 £802 owed 21/12/17 cleared and determined to stay debt free this time
    £722/£1000 EF £718 saved for household jobs
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 1st Jan 18, 1:18 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 3,324 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Happy New Year!
    It's been a while since I was here last It was ages before I got the internet set up and then the last 3 weeks have been very busy. Hope you all had a brilliant festive period

Everything is good, well definitely getting there. I knew I wouldn't be instantly happy once I'd moved to my hometown and left my job, I know it's going to take time, but the relief I feel for being away from the awful job is immense Perhaps it sounds a bit indulgent, but I feel like I really need some time to recover from the last few months of stress. All the work on my house, then the burst pipe, wondering if the new job would wait for me, wondering if I could manage money wise, packing my house, moving house, commuting back to my old job, continuing to do my old job when I hated it so much, finding a car to buy, starting the new job without a break between, dealing with the snow and trying to keep upright, Christmas......

I really want to do more and be more active but I feel so tired and the poor weather hasn't helped. But I think I shall just take a few weeks to get in the swing then I can start living a bit more. I absolutely love my new flat though – living on one level is just so me. Everything is nearby, I can put my washing away straight away instead of leaving it on the stairs and ignoring it, I can roll out of bed straight into the bathroom, I can vacuum without having to unplug! My 2 storage cupboards and small pantry cupboard are amazing, I've got more storage than I had in my house. I can see the street out of the front but there's fields at the back with cows! It's a small village with no shop or pub but it's on a bit of a crossroads so everywhere is pretty easy to get to. It's on the outskirts of my hometown, in the next village to where I came into the world, 2 villages away from where my nan lived and my mum grew up Its been a great move so far. I've had a few quotes for different things that need doing but I'm starting with the windows and a new front door which will hopefully be done in the next couple of months. It's going to take time to get it how I want but I am so excited about it

Thankfully I do have some money left over from my house sale, plus the extra £5k I borrowed on the mortgage while I was still earning a decent salary so I should be able to get the bigger things done.

I have spent quite a bit already though – buying my own car! I did get a good deal though, I bought a trade car through my brothers mate, but by the time I bought that, the insurance, tax and getting it serviced, it was £2600. And I've hardly used it!!! The parking at my new job is horrific. Its a very busy hospital and the visitor parking is £9.60 a day () and all the streets around are permit parking only. I have applied for a staff parking pass but I'm not sure whether I'll get one so I've been getting the bus for the bargain price of £5.20 a day!! *eyeroll* Honestly, it's really frustrating....but I knew it would be. I don't want to pay just over £100 pm to get the bus when I've got a perfectly good car that I can't afford to park where I work. Plus I have to wait an hour for the bus as the bus comes the exact time I finish and when I go on to the late shift or work weekends, I can't get the bus anyway. I am enjoying the job, there's loads to learn and it's interesting, but if I don't get a parking pass, I think I'll be looking for another job! I just don't want to expense, especially when I'm not earning much, I really don't want to get into debt, plus the time wasted waiting for the bus. I want an easier life where work doesn't take over everything – that's what I've given up. There's a new girl I work with and she travels further and has a longer day but she's much younger than me and just starting out her career – it's just a job to me!

But I'm still glad I've done it. I'm away from the old job but if this one doesn't work out for whatever reason I refuse to get stuck in a rut. I'll be looking for something else. It would be shame as I think its a good job, but I don't want to wake up every day annoyed by transport issues. First world problem

So that's me really. I feel a bit of a fraud being here now as I could pay off my last bit of credit card and my sofa loan - I've still got £560 on the CC and about £460 on the sofa, all on 0%.

All my survey earnings go into my CHEFS (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) account, which stands at £374.47, so any extra earnings from selling things will go towards my remaining debt. Otherwise, they'll just rumble on until they're gone. I am tempted to just pay them off but something stops me from just doing it, funny really.

So I feel a bit in limbo with my debt now – I've still got some but I'm not actively trying to pay them off, yet I'm yet not quite ready to move over to MFW. I'm going to think about putting my CHEFS on hold while I blast the CC down, maybe that's a good compromise. But 2018 is definitely the year I get free from debt!

Wishing you all a happy and prosperous new year
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 1st Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 3,324 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    2017 earnings.....
    I've hardly done any surveys since I've moved due to no internet but I've still kept track of what I have done.

Here's my 2017 totals:

PA - £290.59
    Youg0v - £59.50
    SB – 1107SB (pretty much gave up with this)
    Pinec0ne - £6 (not doing these anymore)
    P0puluslive - £58
    VO - £73
    TCB - £126.38 – mostly still pending
    iS@y – 605 points (not done much on here)
    Onepoll - £85.30
    !nbox£s - £5.85
    Other income - £122.16
    Opini0n Outp0st - £97.45
    New V1sta - £7.25

Total earnings from surveys – £677.09
    Total income – £931.48

I lost track of how many NSD's I had, but I did manage to read a book in December bringing my books read in 2017 to two

Due to no internet, YNAB was left untouched, spending went a bit wonky, surveys weren't done and while it was nice to relax a bit, I felt really quite out of control but mostly I missed tracking my spends and earnings. I feel like I haven't got complete data now which is frustrating I'd recorded it all year then boom, nothing.

In 2018, I will get back into tracking everything

I need to think of some targets too but I'll leave that till another day. Definitely want to read more books.......2 in a year is ridiculous
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Jan 18, 1:58 PM
    • 50,616 Posts
    • 193,740 Thanks
    beanielou
    good to hear from you.
    Glad all seems to be working out well apart from the transport costs.
    Take care

• Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 1st Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 3,324 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Thanks beanielou! Take care too, happy new year
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 1st Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 12,076 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It is so good to hear from you! Only the other day I was wondering about the CHEF's challenge and whether you would keep it up (you did)
    I hope the transport issues get sorted and you can park for free.
    Great on the car too.
    Bet you are not wishing for an injury to avoid the working week now!!
    I wish you a happy, healthy and frugal 2018
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 1st Jan 18, 5:02 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 3,324 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    It is so good to hear from you! Only the other day I was wondering about the CHEF's challenge and whether you would keep it up (you did)
    I hope the transport issues get sorted and you can park for free.
    Great on the car too.
    Bet you are not wishing for an injury to avoid the working week now!!
    I wish you a happy, healthy and frugal 2018
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Thanks for dropping by DIA Haha yes I am keeping my CHEFS challenge going, although not much has been added lately. I did think about using some of the money as a deposit for a cruise I've seen in May 2019 but then if I don't make my target, I'll be annoyed and will have to use savings, plus its just a bit too far away and who knows what will happen before then! I think I'll stick my plan of getting to £1000 then I can book something. The race is on

Oh my....you are spot on. When it was all icy I was wishing NOT to slip over and break my arm How times have changed

All the best for 2018 - the year our debt is history
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 1st Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 3,418 Posts
    • 29,328 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Welcome back Ena
    Sounds like a stressful few weeks - things will settle in time. Congratulations on the new home and job, and Happy New Year.
    DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 1st Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 6,848 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hi Ena, just wanted to say not indulgent to feel you need a recovery time. I left a very much hated job just over a year ago, took me a good six months to stop waking up in a cold sweat thinking I still worked there.

Lovely to see you posting, I was another one wanting to know how your move had gone.
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 2nd Jan 18, 10:00 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 3,324 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Welcome back Ena
    Sounds like a stressful few weeks - things will settle in time. Congratulations on the new home and job, and Happy New Year.
    Originally posted by crazy_cat_lady
    Thanks CCL for the good wishes

Hi Ena, just wanted to say not indulgent to feel you need a recovery time. I left a very much hated job just over a year ago, took me a good six months to stop waking up in a cold sweat thinking I still worked there.

Lovely to see you posting, I was another one wanting to know how your move had gone.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thanks redo, it's reassuring that some adjustment time is ok. I do feel relief but also still in a bit of shock that I've actually done it. Thanks for sharing that.

Aww thanks, I've missed posting and reading diaries on here
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 2nd Jan 18, 10:27 PM
    • 1,254 Posts
    • 3,324 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Evening, just a quick check in before I go to bed. I'm getting up much earlier now for this job so no midnight postings from me! If you do see me here past 11, tell me to go away.....please

1st Jan 2018
    * NSD
    * £2.67 in interest from my Nati0nwide savings accounts transferred to my overpayments accounts
    * 42p sweep in FD savings
    * 93p sweep into overpayments account

Today
    * 0nepoll survey
    * Y0ugov survey
    * 32p sweep into FD savings
    * 35p sweep into overpayments account
    * £4.60 payout requested from TCB

I've decided not to record my spends on here like I did last year but I will note any NSD's. I've also decided that when I buy a bus ticket, and that's the only spend of the day, it will be an NSD, oherwise I'll never get one I would have bought a weekly bus ticket for £29 but by buying them daily, it's £26!

I've reintroduced daily sweeps for odd amounts and every week or so, I'll combine them and pay it off my CC, as I will with anyTCB money. I'm desperately trying to keep my survey money for my CHEFS challenge but I'll see how it goes

I'm still working on my targets and goals for the year, need to think when I get a sec.

Right, orf to bed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

2,793Users online

Martin's Twitter