Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 23rd Mar 13, 10:32 PM
    • 1,166Posts
    • 2,999Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Batten down the hatches.....
    • 23rd Mar 13, 10:32 PM
    Batten down the hatches..... 23rd Mar 13 at 10:32 PM
    Hello, I'm new! I've been lurking for a while but its time for me join in all the fun!!

In July 2012, I realised how much money I wasted. Not only frivolous things, but on household bills. Why pay more when I can get the same service for less?!

Since that point I have made quite a few changes, cut back on all the "painless" things I can and tried to keep my spending under control. I know I could do a lot better so in my attempt to do that, I thought I would start a diary to track progress, have a ramble and feel motivated to finally become debt free.

Last July, when I totalled up all my debts, it was around £5300 but then I thought it would be a good idea to add my holiday to my credit card Maybe my lightbulb had only flickered

As of today, my debts are as follows:

Overdraft - £1050 (mostly live in this)
    JD Williams - £260.66
    Nationwide credit card - £457.08
    Mint credit card - £3417.88
    TOTAL - £5185.62

So I'm a bit better off than I was in July 2012

I have got a plan and rightly or wrongly the order I've typed it in is it! I've £250 in an ISA and in March and April, I am aiming to save £800 and then pay off the overdraft in one fell swoop. I've tried the old spending a bit less and when I went on holiday in November, I did get it down to £450 but then since I've been back I've got distracted with clearing other debts its gone back up. I read somewhere that if I get the bank to reduce my overdraft, they would credit check me and I really could do without that (that's another story!). I don't think I've ever lived in credit. I've had a overdraft since I was at university and I've been happily unhappily living in it ever since. I'm 36 this year and if my plan works, I'll be living in the black by my birthday . Of course my other debts will still be there........

The big Mint card is the last thing to tackle as most of it is on a 0% until September. When I've cleared the other smaller debts, I'm hoping to get a longer term 0% credit card and balance transfer it.

My next job is to collate all the bits of paper where I have kept track of what I've saved by cancelling direct debits, and reducing bills by shopping around. I'm pretty sure its around £150 a month but it will be nice to see it written on here. I also want to collate all my other income streams such as cashback, surveys, tesco and nectar points and my nutella jar of change.

Right, best get on. Lots to do...
    Last edited by Orange Ena; 12-08-2015 at 7:24 PM.
Page 41
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 28th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Ups and downs still......had an offer for my house but it's too low really. But if I don't take it, I'll miss out the flat I want and possibly the job. Lots of thinking to do and figures to work out. A little lottery win now would be very welcome

Monday 26th June
    * £13.74 in T3sco
    * Opini0n Outp0st surveys and £2.50 redeemed and transferred to my CHEFS account
    * £4.63 received from TCB and transferred to my overpayments account
    * PA survey
    * 0nep0ll survey

Tuesday 27th June
    * £30 for fuel
    * £8.44 in T3sco
    * Youg0v survey
    * 0nep0ll surveys

Today
    * £26.91 in M0rrisons and a free bunch of flowers. I had a print out voucher on my last shop for a birthday bouquet
    * PA surveys
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * Opini0n Outp0st surveys
    * P0pulusLive survey

26 months ago

my debt stood at £6895.44. The highest recorded debt although I suspect it was over 7k at one point. Not much to some but far too much for me. Over 20 years in debt, multiple consolidations, spending out of control, wasting money, holidays on credit cards, pure ignorance and probably a bit of laziness too!

Well, I finally got a grip which was the best thing I ever did and now my credit card debt stands at £1195 I still have my sofa loan which is 0% and ticking along and I think the outstanding debt on that is around £650. I've also had around 5k of work done on my house but if i hadn't, I'd be debt free now with some nice savings in the bank I worked out my percentage of paid debt and it's a whopping 82.67%.

While everything is up in the air, I'm still reluctant to announce a DFD. I've been saving more than I've been paying off my credit cards but if I were to pay £250 a month I'd be debt free in December. This cheers me up. But I'm going to carry on saving as much as I can, with maybe the odd extra payment. Soon enough, my CC debt will be in 3 figures, not 4.......I'm so close now!
    Debt April 2015 - £6895.44 Debt April 2017 - £2500 May - £1455
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £191.06
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 30th Jun 17, 11:50 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Evening money savers

Thursday 29th June
    * NSD
    * PA survey
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * i-S@y survey
    * Youg0v survey

Today
    * £5.29 in the c0-op
    * 1p roadkill found
    * PA survey
    * 0nep0ll survey
    * VO survey

Another month over so it's time for the stats

June stats

PA - £72.17....................total YTD £206.56
    Youg0v - 575pts/£5.75..................total YTD £39.75
    SB - 0.....................total YTD 1107SB
    Pinec0ne - 0....................total YTD £6
    P0pulusLive - £5..................total YTD £42
    VO - £9.25..................total YTD £43
    TCB - £4.63................total YTD £31.38
    i-S@y - 75pts..................total YTD 540pts
    Inb0x£s - 47p..................total YTD £2.78
    Other income - £25...................total YTD £79.34
    Roadkill - 1p..................total YTD 14p
    0nep0ll - £7.15...................total YTD £52.25
    Opini0n Outp0st - £5.50.......................total YTD £61.45

June total - £134.93
    Year to date - £569.65

Other totals:

• Nati0nwide sweeps - 0..................total YTD 0
    • FD sweeps - 0.................total YTD 0
    • NSD's - 8...............total YTD 65
    • Books read - 0....................total YTD 0
    • DVD's watched - 0....................total YTD 0

DMIC (Daily Mortgage Interest Challenge - earning more than £4.06 a day) - 12/30
    CHEFS account!(Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £215.55
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 1st Jul 17, 7:28 AM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 7,533 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    CHEFS challenge coming along nicely

Is there room to get the price down a little on the flat you want so you can accept the offer?
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/June 2017=8,800
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 4th Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Is there room to get the price down a little on the flat you want so you can accept the offer?
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Funny you should say that DIA........I have negotiated a wee reduction and they've accepted

I accepted the offer on mine too so fingers crossed it will all go smoothly

I'm not really celebrating yet though as I'm so worried it's all going to go wrong. I don't think I'll stop worrying until I get the flat keys in my hand actually. My friend has said not to worry and that I can't do anything about it, so what's the point in worrying but I've got so much pinned on this move, that I really don't know what I'll do if it falls apart. I mean, obviously I'll just have to get on with it, but I feel like I've only got this one chance to get moved, buy this flat which is so affordable and start the new job. I need it to all come together but if my sale falls through and I don't get a buyer again, I'll have to let the job go, maybe lose the flat and stay where I am. I'd have to get a new job here as I can't stand much more of my current job but at least I'd get to stay in my beautifully decorated little house. It will feel like second best though. But then getting a poorly paid job here may mean ruling out ever moving back to my hometown as I just won't be able to afford the prices there.

I know I'm over thinking, over worrying but I feel like I've waited so long, moaned so much about ditching my job and having a change of life and finally I'm doing something about it so I just need it to happen.

So I'm going through the motions, I've appointed a conveyancer, and I've sorted my mortgage appointment for next week. I've already had a moving quote which is very reasonable. I sorted out my "house" paperwork ages ago, things like guarantees and certificates for electrical work. I've started bringing boxes home from work and might pack a few things but I think I'll really get cracking after my buyers have their survey and are happy. I'm a bit worried they'll find a problem, not that I think there is, and then try and negotiate further but I have no room for that. Must stop worrying!!!!!!!

Saturday 1st July
    * £5.98 in B@ndM
    * £18.35 in L1dl
    * PA surveys

Sunday 2nd July
    * NSD
    * Youg0v survey

Monday 3rd July
    * £4.70 in T3sco
    * P0pulusLive survey
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * VO surveys
    * Opini0n Outp0st survey
    * PA survey

Today
    * £9 in T3sco
    * £30 for fuel
    * Opini0n Outp0st survey
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 5th Jul 17, 7:22 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 2,925 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    Hooray keeping everything crossed for you xxxx
    Apr 16... Hfax £2551/483 Vrgin £3420/2977 MBNA 2 £2100/0 MBNA1 98/0
    Total cc 0% debt £8364/3460 updated 26 May 17 (halfway to debt free )
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 5th Jul 17, 8:31 PM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 7,533 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    have negotiated a wee reduction and they've accepted

I accepted the offer on mine too so fingers crossed it will all go smoothly

So I'm going through the motions, I've appointed a conveyancer, and I've sorted my mortgage appointment for next week. I've already had a moving quote which is very reasonable. I sorted out my "house" paperwork ages ago, things like guarantees and certificates for electrical work. I've started bringing boxes home from work and might pack a few things but I think I'll really get cracking after my buyers have their survey and are happy.
    Originally posted by Orange Ena
    This is brilliant news. Whatever happens next the fact that you got this far is absolutely brilliant. Well done Orange Ena
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 5th Jul 17, 8:44 PM
    • 598 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    Ena so exciting about the flat!!!!!!!!
    House Deposit:£10,309.90/£15,000 = 68.73% Money Made'17 July:
    £4.95
    June: £5.35 May:£30.30April: £51.09March:£28.25Feb: £120.47 Jan:£14.35
    Total Made '16:£284.60
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 13th Jul 17, 10:04 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Thanks ladies.

Things seem to be ***sshhh*** progressing nicely with the flat purchase / house sale. If I say it quietly, I won't jinx it

Wednesday 5th July
    * NSD
    * PA survey
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * Youg0v survey
    * VO surveys

Thursday 6th July
    * NSD
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * PA survey
    * Opini0n Outp0st surveys and £2.50 redeemed and transferred to my CHEFS account

Friday 7th July
    * £4.29 in the C0-op
    * £5.87 in T3sco
    * 0nep0ll survey

Saturday 8th July
    * £5.79 in S@vers
    * £1.39 in B@ndM
    * Youg0v survey
    * VO surveys

Sunday 9th
    *NSD

Monday 10th July
    * £3.87 in C0sta, had an NHS discount as they saw my badge. Never had a discount before and I always wear my uniform in there
    * £4.02 in T3sco
    * PA survey
    * Youg0v surveys
    * VO survey

Tuesday 11th July
    * £4.29 in the C0-op
    * PA surveys
    * P0pulusLive survey
    * VO survey

Wednesday 12th July
    * £31.01 for fuel
    * £32.70 in M0rrisons
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * PA survey
    * VO survey

Today
    * NSD
    * 0nep0ll survey
    * VO survey
    * Youg0v survey

A few months ago, some emails stopped coming through, some survey sites and newsletters, that sort of thing. I think they somehow got marked as spam.....I'm blaming the cats One of the emails that stopped was from Pinec0ne. I couldn't log in so I contacted them explaining that I hadn't had emails and I suspected my account was blocked. We had a few emails going back and forth every few days, them asking me to click this link, press that, try this etc. After about a month, after they'd escalated it, they said my account was blocked as I'd marked the emails as spam! Yeah! I told you that in my first email! I really should have just thanked them for unblocking it but I pointed out that we'd wasted a month getting to that point I think someone took the hump and has banned me as I haven't had an invite since

Decluttering
    124. gloves with too many holes
    125. cheese grater
    126. large spoon
    127. fish slice
    128. whisk
    129. tongs
    130. ashtray, had it for any smoking guests....but I don't really have guests
    131. tea towel
    132. DVD's x 6
    133. cookery books x 3
    134. socks x 3 pairs
    135. jigsaw
    136. giftbags x 2
    137. handbag
    138. duvet set
    139. bracelets x 7
    140. cushion cover

I don't think I've got loads to get rid of really, but I'm just trying to "thin" things out a bit so that I have a bit less stuff. I was going to start packing a few bits but in all honesty I don't think it will take too long. If that back fires on me though, I'll come back and edit this comment out
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Jul 17, 10:21 PM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 7,533 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Thanks ladies.

Things seem to be ***sshhh*** progressing nicely with the flat purchase / house sale. If I say it quietly, I won't jinx it
    Whispers...all sounding good Orange Ena
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 13th Jul 17, 10:27 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    I had my mortgage appointment yesterday and we were chatting about savings and I told her how I save up for everything. I think back to only 2 or 3 years ago when I'd try and save but towards payday, I'd have to zero the accounts down to get through, as I hadn't addressed my spending or made a budget. Anyway, putting a little aside every month, if you can, really does help. My line rental and home insurance is due soon but the money is ready and waiting so I don't need to sweat it

Snapshot of savings pots

Nati0nwide
    * Overpayments - 49p
    * Fuel - £88.99
    * Birthdays / Christmas - £23.85
    * Emergency fund - £30
    * Hair / beauty / medical - £70
    * Clothes / shoes - £29
    * Cat 1 - £100
    * Cat 2 - £185
    * Line rental - £166
    * Car - £665
    * Spa days - £1.......recently booked a spa night away
    * House stuff - £47.47
    * House insurance - £100
    * CHEFS - £220.55

Halif@x
    * Emergency fund - £76.18

First D!rect
    * Emergency fund - £1479.63

My credit card debt currently stands at £1105 and it seems I don't need to clear it when I move, as I was previously advised in branch! They said it would be better if I did but I didn't want to be forced to as it's on 0% and ticking along nicely. I will get debt free but as I've said before, keeping a little debt stops me going mad with the old spending

Once I've moved and settled, I'll be able to work out a proper DFD and then the countdown begins.
    Last edited by Orange Ena; 13-07-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Jul 17, 10:32 PM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 7,533 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    I save up for everything. I think back to only 2 or 3 years ago when I'd try and save but towards payday, I'd have to zero the accounts down to get through, as I hadn't addressed my spending or made a budget.
    Oh no, a late night lightbulb moment. I thought was doing well but this sentence you have written is me now I need to give this some serious thought...
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 14th Jul 17, 12:08 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 2,999 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Oh no, a late night lightbulb moment. I thought was doing well but this sentence you have written is me now I need to give this some serious thought...
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Ah sorry DIA. It is so hard though trying to juggle your money. I've been trying to save an emergency fund, fill my savings pots, pay off debt and do my house up and it's a balance. I wish I could just concentrate on 1 thing at a time. You've been slaying so much debt, but there's only so much to play with every month . I'd loved to have just concentrated on my debt as I did in the beginning, but for me, saving / budgeting became really important.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 14th Jul 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 7,533 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You are right to prioritise savings and budgeting. It is exactly what Dave Ramsey says to do. Because I don't budget properly i dip into savings and get nowhere. I need to create a realistic budget and then stick to it. I am seriously considering a system such as Every Dollar (Dave Ramsey) or YNAB (although paying bothers me)

This is why I love your postings. I always learn something. Don't be sorry, be proud to be an inspiring person

Have a good weekend
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • GoingToDoIt
    • By GoingToDoIt 14th Jul 17, 10:23 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 2,925 Thanks
    GoingToDoIt
    Hi Ena
    I had a similar issue with p!necone in that I couldn't log in for ages, got stuck in a loop etc. Then no emails for months...hmm
    And Ena you are "debt free" on paper - your savings outweigh your debts
    Apr 16... Hfax £2551/483 Vrgin £3420/2977 MBNA 2 £2100/0 MBNA1 98/0
    Total cc 0% debt £8364/3460 updated 26 May 17 (halfway to debt free )
    • lcc86
    • By lcc86 20th Jul 17, 2:14 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 2,010 Thanks
    lcc86
    Hi Ena,

I have just caught up on your diary and want to say congrats on the offer! I really hope it all goes through for you, and I completely understand how much you have pinning on this - my own move last year was a bit desperate given the impending high rises being built outside the front door! It's easy to get completely obsessed with it, I just want to say that even if this buyer doesn't work out you'll still get there - look how determined you've been to get debt free, get a job, and move! Keep us updated
    1/12/14 total £9,140 DFD 30/01/17

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5124473 - my DFD

2017 365 day challenge £313 saved
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,681Posts Today

8,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin