Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 23rd Mar 13, 9:32 PM
    • 1,135Posts
    • 2,791Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Batten down the hatches.....
    • 23rd Mar 13, 9:32 PM
    Batten down the hatches..... 23rd Mar 13 at 9:32 PM
    Hello, I'm new! I've been lurking for a while but its time for me join in all the fun!!

In July 2012, I realised how much money I wasted. Not only frivolous things, but on household bills. Why pay more when I can get the same service for less?!

Since that point I have made quite a few changes, cut back on all the "painless" things I can and tried to keep my spending under control. I know I could do a lot better so in my attempt to do that, I thought I would start a diary to track progress, have a ramble and feel motivated to finally become debt free.

Last July, when I totalled up all my debts, it was around £5300 but then I thought it would be a good idea to add my holiday to my credit card Maybe my lightbulb had only flickered

As of today, my debts are as follows:

Overdraft - £1050 (mostly live in this)
    JD Williams - £260.66
    Nationwide credit card - £457.08
    Mint credit card - £3417.88
    TOTAL - £5185.62

So I'm a bit better off than I was in July 2012

I have got a plan and rightly or wrongly the order I've typed it in is it! I've £250 in an ISA and in March and April, I am aiming to save £800 and then pay off the overdraft in one fell swoop. I've tried the old spending a bit less and when I went on holiday in November, I did get it down to £450 but then since I've been back I've got distracted with clearing other debts its gone back up. I read somewhere that if I get the bank to reduce my overdraft, they would credit check me and I really could do without that (that's another story!). I don't think I've ever lived in credit. I've had a overdraft since I was at university and I've been happily unhappily living in it ever since. I'm 36 this year and if my plan works, I'll be living in the black by my birthday . Of course my other debts will still be there........

The big Mint card is the last thing to tackle as most of it is on a 0% until September. When I've cleared the other smaller debts, I'm hoping to get a longer term 0% credit card and balance transfer it.

My next job is to collate all the bits of paper where I have kept track of what I've saved by cancelling direct debits, and reducing bills by shopping around. I'm pretty sure its around £150 a month but it will be nice to see it written on here. I also want to collate all my other income streams such as cashback, surveys, tesco and nectar points and my nutella jar of change.

Right, best get on. Lots to do...
    Last edited by Orange Ena; 12-08-2015 at 6:24 PM.
Page 38
    • BettyBones
    • By BettyBones 10th Mar 17, 4:43 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    BettyBones
    Cruise? Did someone say 'cruise'?! I love cruises!!! And I'm loving the idea of your CHEFS challenge. Surveys drive me nuts though. I started doing the Y0uGov ones last August and am still only at only £33.75 I was so hoping to be able to cash out before my DFD at the end of May and take that £50 away with me for cruise spends. I was going to buy my first pina colada with it!
    If you can dream it, you can do it - Walt Disney
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 16th Mar 17, 10:21 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 2,791 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Thinking about your CHEFs idea. Would you be able to get a magazine article out of this (could be your spending money) You write well and it is such a good idea I'm sure you can monetise it further...
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Ooh ells bells, I wouldn't know where to start But thank you for the compliment Maybe if I do manage to complete my challenge, I could contact Th@t's L1fe or T@ke a Br3ak and get £200 for telling my story
    Ll0yds CC £3180.05 £2600 / H@lifax CC - £1490 £0
    Nati0nwide CC - £558 £0 / Barcl@ycard CC - £890.80 £0
    Debt Apr 15 £6895.44 / Jul 15 £6330.30 / 5th Jan 16 £5217.26 / 4th Feb £4340 / 5th Apr £3505
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 16th Mar 17, 10:27 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 2,791 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Cruise? Did someone say 'cruise'?! I love cruises!!! And I'm loving the idea of your CHEFS challenge. Surveys drive me nuts though. I started doing the Y0uGov ones last August and am still only at only £33.75 I was so hoping to be able to cash out before my DFD at the end of May and take that £50 away with me for cruise spends. I was going to buy my first pina colada with it!
    Originally posted by BettyBones
    Cruise? Who dear? Me dear? I'm with you on loving cruises, there's nothing like it. My last was in 2014 so I'm getting desperate for one now, hence doing every survey I can get my mitts on

Youg0v is a very slow burner. I cashed out last July and have just hit payout again so it's been a slog, and I've done every one that I've been sent so it's not a get rich quick thing. Not long till your cruise now

When you do cash out though, maybe you could put it towards your next cruise
    Debt Apr 15 £6895.44 / Jul 15 £6330.30 / 5th Jan 16 £5217.26 / 4th Feb £4340 / 5th Apr £3505
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 16th Mar 17, 10:56 PM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 2,791 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Evening Oh so close to that lovely weekend. I had a day off on Monday and it was so nice to actually have a good Sunday not dreading work. Obviously Monday was spent mostly thinking about going back work But yay, I've only got 4 more working days till a long weekend

Friday 10th March
    * £4.75 in the Co-0p
    * £2.20 for a sandwich from the butchers
    * £30.29 in M0rrisons
    * £5 M0rrisons voucher received. Normally I'd just spend them but I'm going to transfer £5 to savings when I spend this
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * Pinec0ne survey
    * Opini0n Outp0st survey

Saturday 11th March
    * NSD
    * Opini0n Outp0st surveys and £2.50 redeemed and transferred to my new CHEFS account
    * PA survey

Sunday 12th March
    * NSD
    * 160SB earned
    * Youg0v survey

Monday 13th March
    * NSD
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * PA survey
    * Youg0v survey

Tuesday 14th March
    * £8.50 in T3sco
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * PA survey

Wednesday 15th March
    * £16.11 for fuel
    * PA survey
    * Youg0v survey
    * VO survey
    * P0pulusLive survey
    * Opini0n Outp0st survey

Today
    * NSD
    * £3.13 received from TCB and transferred to my overpayments account
    * 0nep0ll surveys, only 35p away from cashout
    * PA survey!
    * Opini0n Outp0st survey, £2.50 redeemed and transferred to my CHEFS account
    * 302SB earned and a £5 Am@zon voucher redeemed
    * VO survey!
    * Youg0v survey

Just a warning to anyone that shops at M0rrisons......if you go round and happen to buy products with bonus M0re points, just check they do get added on. I noticed a while ago that they weren't so I started taking photos of the products with the extra points and then getting them added on a customer services. It's really frustrating and actually I'm annoyed that people think they're getting points when they might not be. I emailed a complaint to head office last week, saying I always had to get the points added on by customer services, and they rang me and said that it was a known glitch, they're working on it (it's been weeks and weeks ) and that what I need to do is go to customer services to get the points manually added on "Er, I'm already doing that love. You're missing the point, you're ripping off customers promising them M0re points and failing to deliver" I don't think she gave a sh*T I tried

Anyway, it's day 16 of the month and I've hit 8 days of making the £4.11 target for the Daily Mortgage Interest Challenge

And........I have £5 in my CHEFS account. That'll probably pay for an hour of my cruise

That's all for tonight, I'll try and catch up with diaries tomorrow night. Hope everyone is well
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 26th Mar 17, 8:02 AM
    • 1,350 Posts
    • 5,536 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Knock, knock. Anyone home?
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/ February 2017=10,950
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,792Posts Today

5,097Users online

Martin's Twitter