Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 23rd Mar 13, 10:32 PM
    • 994Posts
    • 2,459Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Batten down the hatches.....
    • 23rd Mar 13, 10:32 PM
    Batten down the hatches..... 23rd Mar 13 at 10:32 PM
    Hello, I'm new! I've been lurking for a while but its time for me join in all the fun!!

In July 2012, I realised how much money I wasted. Not only frivolous things, but on household bills. Why pay more when I can get the same service for less?!

Since that point I have made quite a few changes, cut back on all the "painless" things I can and tried to keep my spending under control. I know I could do a lot better so in my attempt to do that, I thought I would start a diary to track progress, have a ramble and feel motivated to finally become debt free.

Last July, when I totalled up all my debts, it was around 5300 but then I thought it would be a good idea to add my holiday to my credit card Maybe my lightbulb had only flickered

As of today, my debts are as follows:

Overdraft - 1050 (mostly live in this)
    JD Williams - 260.66
    Nationwide credit card - 457.08
    Mint credit card - 3417.88
    TOTAL - 5185.62

So I'm a bit better off than I was in July 2012

I have got a plan and rightly or wrongly the order I've typed it in is it! I've 250 in an ISA and in March and April, I am aiming to save 800 and then pay off the overdraft in one fell swoop. I've tried the old spending a bit less and when I went on holiday in November, I did get it down to 450 but then since I've been back I've got distracted with clearing other debts its gone back up. I read somewhere that if I get the bank to reduce my overdraft, they would credit check me and I really could do without that (that's another story!). I don't think I've ever lived in credit. I've had a overdraft since I was at university and I've been happily unhappily living in it ever since. I'm 36 this year and if my plan works, I'll be living in the black by my birthday . Of course my other debts will still be there........

The big Mint card is the last thing to tackle as most of it is on a 0% until September. When I've cleared the other smaller debts, I'm hoping to get a longer term 0% credit card and balance transfer it.

My next job is to collate all the bits of paper where I have kept track of what I've saved by cancelling direct debits, and reducing bills by shopping around. I'm pretty sure its around 150 a month but it will be nice to see it written on here. I also want to collate all my other income streams such as cashback, surveys, tesco and nectar points and my nutella jar of change.

Right, best get on. Lots to do...
    Last edited by Orange Ena; 12-08-2015 at 7:24 PM.
Page 32
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Sep 16, 12:51 PM
    • 764 Posts
    • 3,157 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    beautiful expensive floor lamp......to the tip! I bought it about 3 years ago with a tax rebate I had and it was a gorgeous statement lamp and that statement was.......you've wasted 140 as I'll mock you with my poor design and wobbly legs
    Originally posted by Orange Ena
    Funny Orange Ena. Funny
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=23,322/SEPTEMBER 2016=17,184
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 18th Sep 16, 11:30 PM
    • 994 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Funny Orange Ena. Funny
    Originally posted by doingitanyway

Another weekend gone far too fast Good news, the man who came to quote to fix my floorboards is going to come Tuesday night to do them. I can't wait until they're done so I can then arrange for my carpet to be fitted and get all my stuff back into my room. Been in a bit of limbo the last few weeks

Friday 16th September
    * 2.10 in the c0-op
    * 19.70 for a dental check-up
    * 16.04 in M0rrisons
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * PA survey

Saturday
    * 9.34 in H0me Barg@ins, a few essentials and 2 small stocking fillers for Christmas (all wrapped )
    * 30 for fuel
    * Youg0v survey

Today
    * NSD
    * P0pulusLive survey
    * Youg0v survey
    * 4 items listed on eb@y and if they sell for the asking price it'll be 16.75 less fees

I had quite a good day at work on Friday which was a surprise! But then I realised it was because I only had to do a little bit of my job In the morning I do a non-clinical job (and I saw my boss who gave me some lovely feedback about it which is always nice) and then I finished early as I was at the dentist so I only did my proper job for 2 hours. Hmmm. And I happened to mention to my boss that I'd got the dentist and had taken leave and she told me to claim it back. Wahey, Brucie bonus If everyday was like that I wouldn't want to leave......

I had some terrible news today, my best work friend is going to hand her notice in I knew it was on the cards but it's earlier than she thought it would be cause she can't stand it either! I only see her a couple of times a month in work but I shall miss her. I do see her out of work so that's good. Spurring me on to get out too

More decluttering and sorting out:
    39. chest of drawers, I tried to sell it for a fiver but had no takers so I dragged it outside with a "free" sign on it, went up to the loo, looked out the window and someone was just loading it in their car
    40. loads of scrapbook papers and a few other random craft things, some will be given away and I'll try and sell some at my craft group

Ive got to laugh because a while ago my colleague was telling me she'd spent one Sunday afternoon decluttering her house. One afternoon!!! Is that even possible? I've been decluttering for years

Have a great money saving and money making week y'all
    Ll0yds CC 3180.05 2859 / H@lifax CC - 1490 0
    Nati0nwide CC - 558 0 / Barcl@ycard CC - 890.80 0
    Debt Apr 15 6895.44 / Jul 15 6330.30 / 5th Jan 16 5217.26 / 4th Feb 4340 / 5th Apr 3505
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • Orange Ena
    • By Orange Ena 21st Sep 16, 12:00 AM
    • 994 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    Orange Ena
    Only a quickie tonight, had a bit of dramarama earlier

Monday 19th September
    * 21.73 in T3sco
    * 0nep0ll surveys
    * i-S@y survey

Today
    * 12.45 to my friend for a ticket to a show
    * 120 for my floorboards to be fixed
    * Youg0v survey
    * VO survey

I had the guy come and sort my floorboards out and oh boy, I bet he wish he hadn't! Unfortunately the pipes were too close to the floorboards so he caught it with his cutter thing and water went everywhere! All up my newly decorated walls, on my bed, everywhere! Bless him, he was so apologetic, but it was one of those things. I was really quite calm because all I could think was, it's ok, I've got an emergency fund Obviously I didn't really want to use it but I didn't panic as much as I might have done a few years or even months ago. Luckily, I have a Home Emergency thing with my home insurance (which runs out on Saturday!!) so I called and a plumber came within an hour and a half to fix the pipe and all is well again. I only called the house insurance last night to cancel the renewal as I can get it cheaper online and with cashback but it's made me think maybe I should just stick with this company and see if they'll do it a bit cheaper!

Night
    Ll0yds CC 3180.05 2859 / H@lifax CC - 1490 0
    Nati0nwide CC - 558 0 / Barcl@ycard CC - 890.80 0
    Debt Apr 15 6895.44 / Jul 15 6330.30 / 5th Jan 16 5217.26 / 4th Feb 4340 / 5th Apr 3505
    Every penny is a prisoner
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 21st Sep 16, 8:34 AM
    • 764 Posts
    • 3,157 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    That is terrible. However, it was great you could call a number and have it all sorted. What was the home emergency thing? If they are good maybe try and renegotiate rather than leaving? Did the floorboards man give a discount too for ruining your flat!!

What was he doing to the floorboards?
    Do they look great now?

Too many questions??
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=23,322/SEPTEMBER 2016=17,184
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 22nd Sep 16, 8:00 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 19,076 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I would have thought that should be a claim on your floorboard guy's insurance rather than your home insurance to be honest...
    NST Sept #16 NSD 11/14 DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447 Wombling '16 #28 (634.37) 3-6 month EF #101 a day for Christmas 2016 #32
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,108Posts Today

4,152Users online

Martin's Twitter