Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > How long should a boiler last - consumer Law? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How long should a boiler last - consumer Law?
Views: 1,111
# 1
wonkytechy
Old 22-03-2013, 1:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default How long should a boiler last - consumer Law?

A boiler fitted in 2008, whose installer has gone bump, has problems. Some water is leaking onto a circuit board. I dont know whether there is a warranty (its not my boiler). How long should a boiler be expected to last in consumer law. Any help appreciated
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to wonkytechy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
macman
Old 22-03-2013, 3:48 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Make and model would help?
All modern boilers have at least two years warranty, some 5 or 7 years, so I suggest you check what the manufacturer's warranty is on this one. Nothing to do with the installer, he just registers it.
There is no law that defines exactly how long a particular item should last.
No free lunch, and no free laptop
The Following User Says Thank You to macman For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Cardew
Old 22-03-2013, 6:04 PM

It depends how you define 'last'.

The generally accepted 'rule of thumb' with modern boilers is around 10 years before they become uneconomical to repair when a major item needs replacement.

However 'in consumer law' they only need to last as long as the Guarantee.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Southend1
Old 22-03-2013, 6:34 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

[QUOTE=Cardew;60153135

However 'in consumer law' they only need to last as long as the Guarantee.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. Under sale of goods act they should be of satisfactory quality. How long would a reasonable person expect a new boiler to last? Trading standards should be able to advise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southend1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Cardew
Old 22-03-2013, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southend1 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. Under sale of goods act they should be of satisfactory quality. How long would a reasonable person expect a new boiler to last? Trading standards should be able to advise.
http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nirela...ry_quality.htm

If a boiler has, say, a two year guarantee and then develops a fault(s) after that period, I am pretty sure that you would have no redress under the Sale of Goods act.

A boiler will last 'forever' if it is repaired and repaired and repaired.

In the OP's case to try to take action under consumer law for a faulty 5 year old boiler is doomed IMO. It is, in effect, expecting a guarantee to last 5 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
wonkytechy
Old 22-03-2013, 7:04 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thanks everyone. The manufacturer is involved now but as friend not foe. Appreciate your time. It's a Baxi
# 7
Gromitt
Old 22-03-2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkytechy View Post
Thanks everyone. The manufacturer is involved now but as friend not foe. Appreciate your time. It's a Baxi
I assume not for free ?
# 8
chanz4
Old 22-03-2013, 7:50 PM

Has it been serviced, if so they may change their mind
Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
# 9
SailorSam
Old 22-03-2013, 8:37 PM

Our last one died after 8yrs. I didn't think that was very good when you consider what they cost but they came out to fix it over and over again then told us the parts just aren't available 'cos it's to old.
Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
I need all the preservatives i can get.

# 10
brewerdave
Old 23-03-2013, 6:13 AM

I've just had a ~ 10 year old Ideal Icos boiler replaced - the heat exchanger chamber had actually melted because some insulation had broken away and blocked the burner.The call out gas fitter said that 10 years life with a more "modern" boiler was pretty good! Gone are the days of 20+ years service - these modern units are generally made from plastic and thin metal sheet and contain too many electronic components to last, more is the pity!!
The Following User Says Thank You to brewerdave For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
C_Mababejive
Old 23-03-2013, 8:02 AM

My Glow Worm spacesaver 50 is now on its 32nd year of stirling service. Modern boilers are mostly junk.
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C_Mababejive For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
sacsquacco
Old 23-03-2013, 8:41 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have nt got central heating at all but I am considering fitting one this year. Is it possible to still buy one of the old style units new, not a modern one, but one which has a pilot light and no, or little electronic circuit boards in it
meter reading monkey since 1999
# 13
southcoastrgi
Old 23-03-2013, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacsquacco View Post
I have nt got central heating at all but I am considering fitting one this year. Is it possible to still buy one of the old style units new, not a modern one, but one which has a pilot light and no, or little electronic circuit boards in it
in a word no
I'm only here while i wait for corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if i think you are wrong i WILL tell you.
The Following User Says Thank You to southcoastrgi For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
diywhynot
Old 23-03-2013, 9:16 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
New, no. Fleabay special, yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to diywhynot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
SailorSam
Old 23-03-2013, 9:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Mababejive;6!!!!!61
My Glow Worm spacesaver 50 is now on its 32nd year of stirling service. Modern boilers are mostly junk.
When i had the boiler changed in my last house the one that went out was about 30yrs old. The engineer told me i'd find the new one much more efficient and would save me money.
Maybe yes it was more efficient, but are they really saving you any money when you're going to have it replaced in 7/8yrs time.
Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.

The Following User Says Thank You to SailorSam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
giraffe69
Old 23-03-2013, 9:32 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I think if you are fitting one that it will have be a condensing boiler which rules out ones that are 100 years old.
# 17
withabix
Old 23-03-2013, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Mababejive;6!!!!!61

My GlowWorm is up to 25 years so far.

It had a thermocouple replaced a few years ago and the fan cleaned a few weeks ago.

It wasn't deemed inefficient enough to qualify for the 'Scrappage Scheme' when that was (c)on. It's an 'F' iirc.

Typically, a replacement boiler including labour etc will come to 1800.

A new boiler won't save that amount during its expected life (which seems to be under 10 years lol).

The economics don't work. My gas and electricity for a 3 bed detached 25-year old house is approx 1250 per year, of which gas is usually about half.

A new boiler isn't going to reduce my gas bill by anything like 50%, so it won't be replaced until it dies.

I've got a Boilermate system (hot water on 24/7 with a pressurised hot water cylinder) that give me hot water at mains pressure and flow. I can't imagine wanting an on-demand hot water dribbler any time soon.
Every Little Helps me fly the world with Tesco!

BA Avios current balance: Approx 350,000

Last edited by withabix; 23-03-2013 at 12:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to withabix For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
sacsquacco
Old 23-03-2013, 9:47 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

By the sound of it getting 10 years out of these new unreliable boxes will be the exception, i have heard horror stories about one make ( by Potterton ) on BBC Watchdog where it was constantly breaking down needing new circuit boards. I will probably be getting the most reliable brand possible, Valient or Worcester I have heard on here are one of the best
meter reading monkey since 1999
# 19
SailorSam
Old 23-03-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I will probably be getting the most reliable brand possible, Valient or Worcester I have heard on here are one of the best
I got an Ariston last year with a 5yr guarantee, but even 5yrs isn't a long time compared to the old ones.

The Following User Says Thank You to SailorSam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Cardew
Old 23-03-2013, 11:56 AM

This subject has been covered many times, and correctly IMO the concensus is always the same - don't change a boiler until it really cannot be repaired.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...ight=telegraph
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cardew For This Useful Post: Show me >>