Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    shamrock1964
    Avoid currys/pc world!!!
    • 20th Mar 13, 10:40 PM
    Avoid currys/pc world!!! 20th Mar 13 at 10:40 PM
    How about this for a story of abysmal and disgraceful bully boy and, in my opinion, fraudulent sales tactics.

I called into Currys store in Chippenham yesterday (Tues 20th March 2013) to purchase a washing machine. I spoke with one of the staff who was just finishing their shift but before passing me on to another member of staff, who shall remain nameless here but who had a very distinctive and unique name, he did strongly recommend the LG machines primarily owing to long guarantee. After looking through the options with the other staff member, I decided on an Indesit model on the basis that the installation (normally £20) would be free of charge. The staff member and, in her words, the “manager” went about setting up an account which took some time (I wasn’t able to leave the store until nearly an hour after arriving) and included inputting my credit card details. However, during this process they advised that they couldn’t give the free of charge installation and could only offer a £20 Currys gift card which I didn’t want. Therefore and as far I was aware the order was cancelled and I wasn’t given any documentation or anything to sign. We spoke about the other alternatives available, including the LG model with the 10yr motor warranty, and I said to the staff member and the "manager" that I’d have to discuss what to do with my partner and call in again the following day (i.e. today 20th March 2013) and the staff member said that the free installation would still apply.

I called into the store today at circa 1500 and spoke to another member of staff and explained what had happened the previous day and that we’d agreed a free installation deal on any machine. The store member was very dismissive of this and stated that nobody would offer such a deal and basically he couldn’t give a damn if I went elsewhere. When I said if there hadn’t been any such deal how would I know the unusual and unique name of a staff member and he replied arrogantly that the name is on the badge! He said I could raise the matter with the store manager and I asked to see him purely on a matter of principle since I felt what with the prolonged process the night before and the current sales persons somewhat brusque and dismissive attitude that this came across as heavy handed and bullying sales tactics which could effectively harass an older person into simply accepting what they were given. The store manager (I won't name him here but his badge clearly said store manager) was equally dismissive and somewhat aggressive (I felt he was trying to stir me up and he accused me of being “rude” when I was simply being assertive), denied any knowledge of any agreed deal, said that the person I was told was a manager wasn’t part of the management team and wouldn’t agree to such a deal and showed no interest in investigating it and threatened to throw me out of the store stating they hadn’t broken any laws (it came across basically as I don’t give a damn, sue me) .

After leaving the store I purchased a washing machine from an independent local stockist within a period of about 15 minutes including payment and returned home immediately after to find that Indesit (the original machine I had looked to purchase from Currys) had phoned my partner to arrange a delivery date for the machine which my partner, who was at that point unaware of the disgraceful behaviour I’d received from Currys resulting in my taking my custom elsewhere, had arranged for Monday 25th March! I immediately phoned my credit card company who confirmed that Currys had charged £268 to my card. This started alarm bells seriously ringing and everything was pointing towards potential fraudulent sales tactics in addition to the bully boy sales tactics I feel I had been on the receiving end of. I then phoned the Currys store manager at the Chippenham store who when I explained the situation initially denied he was the person I’d been speaking to but when I said that he was surely mistaken he said, and I quote, “Oh, you’re the rude customer”. When I explained my concerns regarding the £268 charge he simply denied all knowledge and when I said I'd be calling in to discuss the matter he said he’d call the Police and have me physically removed if I came into the store again and put the phone down on me .

On advice from the Police I called Currys Customer Services who confirmed that the original order hadn’t been cancelled advised me the order number (which I was totally unaware of) and that she would arrange to cancel the order together with the delivery and refund the £268 within 3-5 working days.

I wasted approximately 4 hours of my time, was treated like a liar and a piece of dirt on the Currys store manager’s shoes when everything I have said was 100% accurate and could have been readily proven by the Currys store manager with a little bit of interest and effort. It is in my opinion criminal that the Currys store manager was totally disinterested in sorting something out which could have cost a customer £269, a not inconsiderable amount of money, as the result of something which was ultimately his responsibility and fault. Suffice to say I shall do as he requested and never again go into or purchase from his store, any Currys/PC World store or online from Currys/PC World ever again.

I've e-mailed Currys' Group Managing Director, sebastian.james@currys.co.uk, and their UK & Ireland Chief Executive, katie.bickerstaffe@currys.co.uk, to formally complain (please feel free to e-mail them if you have any such issues) and wait to see whether they have the same attitude as their store managers.

It's not surprising that Comet, who had a reputation for such sales tactics and total lack of customer service, went bankrupt without any form of public sorrow at their demise when you can get better service from the likes of Currys/PC World online!
Page 2
    • philatio
    • By philatio 24th Feb 14, 1:40 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    philatio
    You had me at "I also purchased their 3 year guarantee for £10 extra"

One born every minute.
  • smallbig
    Currys our price promise to you- where is it?
    Are you telling about "our price promise" ). Shame on you.

Black&Decker PD1080 is 79.99 pounds at Currys and 55 pounds at tesco.
    I ordered one for in store collection, and after i reserved I had a look online and found that at tesco is so much cheaper. Because I already reserved, and because I've seen your promise price, like a good customer I've been today in the shop(Currys Hull The Junction) to tell them about the price difference. I spoke with a customer service representative and with a manager, and I've been told that they can not change the price.
    Shame on you thousand times Currys. Tesco is selling with 55 pounds(in stock product), and you with 79.99, you are saying "our price promise" and you can not change the price when needs.
    • timbo58
    • By timbo58 6th Mar 14, 9:55 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 1,178 Thanks
    timbo58
    Does the 'price promise' exclude special offers elsewhere perhaps?

I find PCW/Currys a perfectly good shop and have spent £000's (as in thousands) with the Chippenham/Trowbridge branches for work and personally over the years with no issues other than the (tedious but necessary) laughable offers of extended guarantees for items that should 'reasonably last' at least as long, and the fact I am generally more knowledgable about the computer kit than their own staff.

I don't like queuing of course but I've never had 'bully boy' sales techniques of fraudulent charging of my card either.
    Unless specifically stated all posts by me are my own considered opinion.
    If you don't like my opinion feel free to respond with your own.
  • disappointedcustomer
    Currys no cashback cashback offer. It's all a con!
    I placed an order with Currys on the 27th November 2014.
    The order was for a Bosch electric oven and gas hob. At the time of the order there was a £70 cashback on the oven and £50 on the hob.
    I was advised that paperwork would be supplied with the delivery and that the cash would be refunded by the manufacturer, Bosch.
    The oven was delivered, still no hob. There was no paperwork with the oven. We telephoned Currys and they denied that there was any such offer.
    I have been on the phone to three different representatives from Customer Services at Currys for three hours this morning. Most of which was spent on hold.

They reported that they knew nothing of any previous offer but that the current offer for these items purchased together gives a further £50 off. Confirmation of my order from them shows that I paid for these items together, with installation, as one purchase.

However, they maintain that despite paying for both items at the same time as one transaction, they are in fact two transactions and therefore do not qualify for any money back.

They then advised me that i could have a full refund of my order. On that basis I cancelled the order for the undelivered hob. They then advised me that despite paying for their people to instal the new oven and remove the old one, I would have to return the oven in the original box that they took away. They subsequently backtracked on this and said that as long as I removed the oven they would collect it. On that basis I cancelled the hob order which has yet to be delivered.

They then advised me that they would not refund or take back the oven, and as I had cancelled part of the order none of the offers for cashback were valid!

Complete crooks.
    Never again.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 12th Dec 14, 1:00 PM
    • 8,606 Posts
    • 5,637 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I'm pretty sure the cashback offer is administered by Bosch themselves not Currys. Have you tried going to the Bosch website to see if your oven is included in the current offer.

As an aside it's usually best to create a new thread rather than resurrecting an old one like this.
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 12th Dec 14, 1:22 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    As above post

Currys have nothing to do with the Bosch cashback.

You would have to have claimed it from Bosch
    Link Below

http://www.bosch-home.co.uk/bosch-cashback.html

By filling in claim and submitting invoices/receipt from Currys

Oven should be claimable

But as you have cancelled hob
    • JennyJenny
    • By JennyJenny 22nd Nov 15, 10:28 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    JennyJenny
    I recently purchased a lap top and the shop assistant kept asking me if I wanted a care plan for monthly £6.50. He seemed to be very much under pressure to sell me one, but I kept refusing.

What I didn't notice, was that he still slipped it into my credit card receipt, by reducing the total amount by 6.50 as Manager Discretion and adding 6.50 again as Care plan. This way the total amount was still the same, but he was able to register a care plan sale as well.

Next month they deducted £6.50 from my VISA and when I disputed it, they refused to refund but promised to cancel. However one more month later the care plan was still not cancelled and they charged the card again. I have reported it to the police fraud department and to my bank but I still feel that this kind of scam should be made public to make people aware.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 22nd Nov 15, 10:42 PM
    • 19,741 Posts
    • 12,107 Thanks
    dacouch
    They've been doing this sales trick for many years.

If Currys had not very carefully set their care plan up as not being an Insurance product they would be hit with multi million pound fines from the FCA for these types of sales tactics.

Make your own mind up why Currys spent so much money to avoid being regulated by the FCA
    • Annbell
    • By Annbell 15th Oct 16, 1:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Annbell
    Zanussi frost free freezer
    I have had the run around with currys for 3 weeks telling me the item wasn't available and to call back on 11/10/16 then again not available and to call on 15/10/16 and today when I called I was advised it won't be available till 25/10/16 !!!!!
    I was furious and spoke to customer service who passed me to a sales advisor who said she could not reserve it as the ones which come in on 25/10/16 are for customers orders so I said "so I have been lied to" she replied "yes"
    Also it is advertised on their website as being available for delivery which is a blatant breach of advertising !!!
    I will NEVER use them again and I managed to order it today from Appliances Direct to be delivered on 5/11/16
    • bris
    • By bris 15th Oct 16, 1:57 PM
    • 6,151 Posts
    • 5,110 Thanks
    bris
    What is it about this 3 year old thread that keeps getting dragged up? Another one and it's not even a consumer rights issue just another pointless rant.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

431Posts Today

1,798Users online

Martin's Twitter