IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Clumsy children
Views: 1,279
# 1
shortdog
Old 20-03-2013, 4:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Clumsy children

Minor rant, just to make myself feel better.

My son (6) has had one of those days.
An argument with the cat this morning, resulting in a scratch below his eye.
A fight with a chair, which he lost, leaving a huge purple bruise on his face.
Fell up a flight of concrete stairs - that one gave him holes in the knees of his jeans, one scabby knee, one scratched knee and two cut palms.
Tripped over nothing and hit his arm on the coffee table (no bruise as yet).
Stood on the prickly cat treat dispenser, no injuries, just a sore foot.
Slipped coming downstairs and slid from almost the top to the bottom - nice carpet burn on his back.
And last, but not least, he stood behind his sister when she came home from school, she swung her school bag off her shoulders and knocked him halfway across the kitchen - another bruise on his face (opposite side to the last one), and teeth through bottom lip.

And, to top it all off, we've got an appointment with the school nurse tomorrow, with whom I clash every time I see her (I can't stand her, she hates me, and every meeting ends up in an argument) - the state of his face is going to go down well!

Does anyone else have days like this? Or is it just my kids who appear to enjoy pain?
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shortdog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
alleycat`
Old 20-03-2013, 4:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Although not quite on the same scale my DS does have the ability to injure himself in new and unique ways.

Usually, as you find, with inanimate objects.

My wife takes the "genetics" blame as she is also less than graceful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alleycat` For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
cord123
Old 20-03-2013, 4:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm sorry but this did make me laugh!
It does amaze me how children can fall over from the stand up not moving position... the other day my son slipped off his chair, taking the ipad with him, smashing his head and my ipad...!

Just a side note, have you had his hearing and eyes tested? My son has problems with both which is why he is constantly covered in bruises, just wondered if this could be the same for your LO? XX
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cord123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
chrisv24
Old 20-03-2013, 4:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Haha you do have a clumsy son there don't you! It's normal though, I used to be a basketball coach and the amount of quite frankly hilarious accidents the kids used to have was endless!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisv24 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
mrcow
Old 20-03-2013, 4:24 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

That does sound like a lot.

Does he normally bruise himself like this on a daily basis? Presumably some of this was done whilst he was at school today?
"One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrcow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
daska
Old 20-03-2013, 4:28 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

That does take 'little boy bruises' to a whole new level, sorry OP, I'm also laughing because like your lad I can trip over fresh air and fall down steps that aren't there.

But cord123 makes a good point, there are sometimes reasons for clumsiness. DS1 is dyspraxic but thankfully he's also a bit of a wuss which rather limits the amount of danger he puts himself in. In DS2's case he has Browns Syndrome (a particular kind of squint) that affects his ability to coordinate his actions, well... that's the obvious disability but he also has sensory processing problems which both drives him to seek thrill laden adventures but also lead him to misjudge the amount of effort needed to achieve things - lots of slamming and banging. Ear problems can also lead to clumsiness. Most little boys do themselves a considerable amount of damage while growing up but if it's more than most then consider having a chat with your GP and asking for his hearing, sight and co-ordination (which would require a referral to paediatric occupational therapy) checked.
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
48 down, 22 to go
Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daska For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
marisco
Old 20-03-2013, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortdog View Post
Does anyone else have days like this? Or is it just my kids who appear to enjoy pain?
Awww poor little soul, hope tomorrow is better for him. I have had one of those days today too. A rock pooling trip to the beach with a class of kids resulted in me running up the beach with one squealing child under my arm to beat the tide. One child delivered safely to the beach, job done, or so I thought.

I stepped back, tripped and landed on some wet sand. So embarrassing but the kids had a laugh at my expense.
The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own, no apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marisco For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
jellyhead
Old 20-03-2013, 4:39 PM

My eldest child has always been clumsy - as I am 'less than graceful' like Alleycat's wife I take the blame - I can trip over my own shadow

When he was in year 1 they tested his hearing and eyesight. I was hoping they would find that glasses would prevent him bumping into bins and lamp-posts on the way to school, but the verdict is that he's just a clumsy child.

What are you seeing the school nurse about? Our school nurse sent my youngest to be assessed for dyspraxia but he wasn't quite bad enough for a diagnosis. He's on the waiting list for some classes to help with functional skills such as zips and buttons, pouring a drink etc. though.
52% tight
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jellyhead For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
cheeswright
Old 20-03-2013, 5:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

hes growing
when kids grow the nerve ending slightly seperate - apparently - (fascinating programme on tv about it a while back - professor winston presenting - showed an young ballerina going through the same stage....)
anyway this means that impulses to muscles are missed - slow etc and clumsimess ensues
then these catch up as sceletal growth slows and flesh has a chance to catch up - and a brief period of not falling over ensues - until the next growth spurt
it also cheers the kid up to know their growing and not naturally clumsy
Fight Back - Be Happy
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cheeswright For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
MrsAnnie
Old 20-03-2013, 5:24 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Awww. Poor little poppet!

Hope this is indicative of a very bad day, not a normal day! But hopefully it's nothing that a hot chocolate and a hug won't cure.

Good luck tomorrow with the school nurse x
I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he ha
s had to overcome while trying to succeed. Booker T Washington

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrsAnnie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Person_one
Old 20-03-2013, 5:36 PM

Quote:

My son (6) has had one of those days.
An argument with the cat this morning, resulting in a scratch below his eye.

Nothing to do with you personally OP, but I'm just imagining the completely different direction the thread would have taken if you'd said dog instead of cat!
The Following User Says Thank You to Person_one For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
valk_scot
Old 20-03-2013, 5:37 PM

I could always tell when my kids were going into a growth spurt. it was like they lost the mental image of where their edges were and they were always misjudging where their feet would land or where the door edge was. It's spring, most kids do go into a growth spurt round about now. If he's still doing it in November though, it's more likely he's just a bit clumsier than most.
Val.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to valk_scot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
shortdog
Old 20-03-2013, 5:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcow View Post
Does he normally bruise himself like this on a daily basis? Presumably some of this was done whilst he was at school today?
No, this is an exceptional day - he never makes it through a day without some form of mishap, but today was extra mishap-laden! He's home-educated, and we spent some time today at the local holiday park, waiting for my OH to finish work, so some things happened there. The trip downstairs was at the dentists though, just to be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cord123 View Post
Just a side note, have you had his hearing and eyes tested? My son has problems with both which is why he is constantly covered in bruises, just wondered if this could be the same for your LO? XX
He's under the eye-clinic and hearing clinic, as he has issues with both (which does explain some of the clumsiness), he needs grommets again but has a bad reaction to general anaesthetic, so they've postponed it for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeswright View Post
hes growing
when kids grow the nerve ending slightly seperate - apparently - (fascinating programme on tv about it a while back - professor winston presenting - showed an young ballerina going through the same stage....)
anyway this means that impulses to muscles are missed - slow etc and clumsimess ensues
then these catch up as sceletal growth slows and flesh has a chance to catch up - and a brief period of not falling over ensues - until the next growth spurt
it also cheers the kid up to know their growing and not naturally clumsy
That's brilliant, thanks, so he's growing, and not clumsy? I'll need to find the programme - we are doing the Human Body as a topic just now, so would tie in nicely!

We're seeing the school nurse as she's a nosy mare really, but the official reason is that she had a report from the paediatrician, and needs to check things out. The report is nothing special, it's basically the post-appointment minutes, which I recieved my copy of before Christmas, so she's obviously put it to the side until she had a quiet week - if there was anything in it that she felt concerned about, I'm sure she'd have been in touch before now. I can refuse (as there is no legal need for us to see her) but last time, she called social services as she was "concerned about his wellbeing" (funny how none of the other health professionals that we see on a weekly basis were worried) and it's easier to have a 10 minute sniping session with the school nurse every 6 months or so than it is to deal with social services.
# 14
mazza111
Old 20-03-2013, 5:41 PM

I'm still like that even all these years later. Doorways seem to move as I go through them and either catch the elbows, shoulders or boobs in the door frame. And no I'm not drunk Wish I was half the time.
4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mazza111 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
shortdog
Old 20-03-2013, 5:43 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person_one View Post
Nothing to do with you personally OP, but I'm just imagining the completely different direction the thread would have taken if you'd said dog instead of cat!
Very true - hadn't thought about that! To be fair, if he'd sat on a dog, and then tried to give it a very big upside down kiss and cuddle to say sorry, when it was obviously not happy and trying to run away, he'd have deserved everything he'd have got
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shortdog For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
sassyblue
Old 20-03-2013, 6:05 PM

LOL poor little man. I'm clumsy (I'm known as clumsy mummy in our house ) and so is DS, but your sons day takes the biscuit.

Hope tomorrow is better, and sounds like you're ready for the school nurse.
Always overpaying on mortgage.

Happy moneysaving all.

The Following User Says Thank You to sassyblue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
lostinrates
Old 20-03-2013, 6:12 PM

Quote:
No, this is an exceptional day - he never makes it through a day without some form of mishap, but today was extra mishap-laden! He's home-educated, and we spent some time today at the local holiday park, waiting for my OH to finish work, so some things happened there. The trip downstairs was at the dentists though, just to be different.

He's under the eye-clinic and hearing clinic, as he has issues with both (which does explain some of the clumsiness), he needs grommets again but has a bad reaction to general anaesthetic, so they've postponed it for now.

That's brilliant, thanks, so he's growing, and not clumsy? I'll need to find the programme - we are doing the Human Body as a topic just now, so would tie in nicely!

We're seeing the school nurse as she's a nosy mare really, but the official reason is that she had a report from the paediatrician, and needs to check things out. The report is nothing special, it's basically the post-appointment minutes, which I recieved my copy of before Christmas, so she's obviously put it to the side until she had a quiet week - if there was anything in it that she felt concerned about, I'm sure she'd have been in touch before now. I can refuse (as there is no legal need for us to see her) but last time, she called social services as she was "concerned about his wellbeing" (funny how none of the other health professionals that we see on a weekly basis were worried) and it's easier to have a 10 minute sniping session with the school nurse every 6 months or so than it is to deal with social services.
Tbf, it's better they are over cautious than not attentive enough. I had this a few years ago at a hospital, my husband came with me to all appointments because I hate doctors and I get a bit teary and find it hard to remember information.

It obviously rang alarm bells and they asked to examine me in a side room where they asked several times if I was the victim of domestic abuse or pressure or anything else similar. I was even more upset by that at first but when I told dh afterwards he thought it was a good thing, as some women are and if their husbands are with them how can they say, so he was entirely pleased they had asked me.

Fwiw, like your son, I had lots of bruises and accidents and injuries too. Kids though, IMO....almost should have some battle scars from playing outdoors or energetically, or just being clumsy, but its good that someone is looking out for him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lostinrates For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
daska
Old 20-03-2013, 6:47 PM

Quote:

Glad to hear it's not the norm LOL

Glue ear? I've had several friends report good results from seeing an osteopath, might be worth investigating?

You know what though, I have a darn sight more respect for SS than I do for our school nurse who appears to be a complete ignoramus.
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
48 down, 22 to go
Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
# 19
meritaten
Old 20-03-2013, 8:46 PM

Sorry - your post made me laugh!

glad you are having this investigated! oh and remind your son that Cats ALWAYS win arguments!
There sure are a lot of laws in this country - but there aint much Justice!!!
(Dean Koontz - One Door Away From Heaven)

Last edited by meritaten; 20-03-2013 at 8:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to meritaten For This Useful Post: Show me >>