IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Primark complaint
Views: 3,719
# 1
trimmtrabdeano
Old 20-03-2013, 2:58 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Primark complaint

Hi all,

Does anyone have an email address for Primark complaints?

I travelled to the Portsmouth store from my home in Bognor Regis to buy some clothes to wear to a family funeral which was on the same day. I bought a pair of trousers and a shirt. I always try on everything in store to make sure things fit correctly and I took a 15” and 15.5” shirt to the changing room to try on. At the changing room I was told that I couldn’t try on those shirts because ‘the staff don’t like to fold them back up afterwards’ and that I could try on a sample size shirt that I was assured would be exactly the same size as the ones I’d picked out. Fair enough I thought. It turned out that the sample size 14.5” shirt fit brilliantly and I then went off to purchase one in that size.

I got home, showered and got ready for the funeral which was happening at 5pm. At 3.45pm I unpacked my new shirt and put it on. The shirt did not fit! It was so unbelievably tight and I was unable to do up the bottom buttons. I must say I was absolutely livid and upset. Here I was just a short period of time before an emotional occasion and the clothes I had bought especially for the service didn’t fit. I was pretty upset. I then had no choice but to go out with very little time to purchase another shirt from a different store (a shirt that cost a great deal more). Far from ideal preparation for a funeral.

Personally I don’t think it’s fair to ask people to try on different clothes that may not fit correctly.

If anyone has an email address or had similar problem I'd love to know.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to trimmtrabdeano For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Hintza
Old 20-03-2013, 4:24 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Never heard of anyone trying a shirt on before!
“It's only terrorism if they do it to us. When we do much worse to them, it's not terrorism.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hintza For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
trimmtrabdeano
Old 20-03-2013, 4:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

What do you suggest people do then? Guess? They do a couple of different styles regular and slim fit. And don't say that you'd ask them to measure you... this is the same shop that said 'the staff don’t like to fold them back up afterwards'. Thanks for your help though!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trimmtrabdeano For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
lincroft1710
Old 20-03-2013, 4:41 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Send a message via Yahoo to lincroft1710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintza View Post
Agreed. It normally takes 15 minutes to get all the pins out and the cardboard collar stiffener.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lincroft1710 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Hintza
Old 20-03-2013, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimmtrabdeano View Post
What do you suggest people do then?
The same as the vast majority of people buy the neck size that fits and err on the side of caution if you will be wearing a tie.
“It's only terrorism if they do it to us. When we do much worse to them, it's not terrorism.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hintza For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Thomas Hardy
Old 20-03-2013, 7:37 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

Could you not have bought a shirt in Bognor? A forty mile round trip to Primark seems a false economy!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thomas Hardy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Country Cousin
Old 20-03-2013, 9:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hintza View Post
John Lewis have no problems with unwrapping shirts and letting you try them on. There are so many different styles these days - slim fit, classic fit, whatever else fit, different length arms - the list goes on.
Trouble is I always feel guilty after JL have unwrapped it and so buy it anyway
The Following User Says Thank You to Country Cousin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
goater78
Old 20-03-2013, 9:16 PM
PPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Cousin View Post
John Lewis have no problems with unwrapping shirts and letting you try them on. There are so many different styles these days - slim fit, classic fit, whatever else fit, different length arms - the list goes on.
Trouble is I always feel guilty after JL have unwrapped it and so buy it anyway
I imagine that's the difference between buying a shirt for £4 and buying one for £40.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to goater78 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
wealdroam
Old 20-03-2013, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goater78 View Post
I imagine that's the difference between buying a shirt for £4 and buying one for £40.
And how much does a £4 shirt cost if you travel forty miles to buy it?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wealdroam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
mikeandrach
Old 21-03-2013, 11:18 PM
PPR
MoneySaving Stalwart

why leave it so late? its a funeral you must have known about it in advance? what do you expect from primark exactly in terms of service? you go there for the price not the quality of either the products or service, move on
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikeandrach For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
PILES
Old 22-03-2013, 10:52 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimmtrabdeano View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone have an email address for Primark complaints?

I travelled to the Portsmouth store from my home in Bognor Regis to buy some clothes to wear to a family funeral which was on the same day. I bought a pair of trousers and a shirt. I always try on everything in store to make sure things fit correctly and I took a 15” and 15.5” shirt to the changing room to try on. At the changing room I was told that I couldn’t try on those shirts because ‘the staff don’t like to fold them back up afterwards’ and that I could try on a sample size shirt that I was assured would be exactly the same size as the ones I’d picked out. Fair enough I thought. It turned out that the sample size 14.5” shirt fit brilliantly and I then went off to purchase one in that size.

I got home, showered and got ready for the funeral which was happening at 5pm. At 3.45pm I unpacked my new shirt and put it on. The shirt did not fit! It was so unbelievably tight and I was unable to do up the bottom buttons. I must say I was absolutely livid and upset. Here I was just a short period of time before an emotional occasion and the clothes I had bought especially for the service didn’t fit. I was pretty upset. I then had no choice but to go out with very little time to purchase another shirt from a different store (a shirt that cost a great deal more). Far from ideal preparation for a funeral.

Personally I don’t think it’s fair to ask people to try on different clothes that may not fit correctly.

If anyone has an email address or had similar problem I'd love to know.

Cheers!
Ah well look on the bright side, you have a nice shirt for funerals and a tight shirt for impressing the ladies on Bognor Regis beach
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PILES For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Gordon Hose
Old 22-03-2013, 11:31 AM

I've never tried a shirt on. I know my size and buy accordingly. If it then didn't fit when I got home, I'd return it.

Sounds like your shopping trip has been left til the last minute and backfired.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Hose For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
jkkne
Old 22-03-2013, 1:31 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Danger of buying from somewhere like Primark.

Most mid range and decent shops will allow you to try on or offer advice

Next and M&S will measure you neck and offer 'try on' shirts in all styles.

It's all well saying your a 15 but in slim fit, tailored fit, modern fit, regular fit...you could well be something else. Lesson learned
The Following User Says Thank You to jkkne For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
arcon5
Old 22-03-2013, 1:51 PM

I, like op, would have wanted to try it on too. It may well be that op doesn't wear shirts often and doesn't actually know what size fits him best!
The Following User Says Thank You to arcon5 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
PILES
Old 22-03-2013, 1:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcon5 View Post
I, like op, would have wanted to try it on too. It may well be that op doesn't wear shirts often and doesn't actually know what size fits him best!
I have never known anyone try on a shirt before buying. Can understand it with trousers and other unpacked items but shirts are packaged and pinned. Most stores would measure you up to help you out. Would people buy a new shirt that had already been worn?
The Following User Says Thank You to PILES For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
pimento
Old 22-03-2013, 2:35 PM

I'm not a man but for women's clothes a general rule of thumb for me is the cheaper the shop, the bigger size I need.

If I were buying in Primark, I might even go up two sizes.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pimento For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
piglet25
Old 23-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have a few tops from Primarni, they range from a size twelve upto a size twenty, I am a size fourteen everywhere else. Always try their stuff on because I think the size truthfulness (!) depends on which sweatshop sticks the labels in
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piglet25 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Shelldean
Old 23-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

my boys always try stuff on, esp as they dont the hassle of going shopping twice!!!

One of the twins has long arms, and lots of things simply dont fit him.
And I do agree sizes vary such a lot between shops, that you have try things on to ensure they fit.

Primark shirts aren't pinned anyway?? Certainly the one my boys brought to go with their first suits weren't. they was just hung on hangers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shelldean For This Useful Post: Show me >>