Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    trimmtrabdeano
    Primark complaint
    • 20th Mar 13, 2:58 PM
    Primark complaint 20th Mar 13 at 2:58 PM
    Hi all,

Does anyone have an email address for Primark complaints?

I travelled to the Portsmouth store from my home in Bognor Regis to buy some clothes to wear to a family funeral which was on the same day. I bought a pair of trousers and a shirt. I always try on everything in store to make sure things fit correctly and I took a 15” and 15.5” shirt to the changing room to try on. At the changing room I was told that I couldn’t try on those shirts because ‘the staff don’t like to fold them back up afterwards’ and that I could try on a sample size shirt that I was assured would be exactly the same size as the ones I’d picked out. Fair enough I thought. It turned out that the sample size 14.5” shirt fit brilliantly and I then went off to purchase one in that size.

I got home, showered and got ready for the funeral which was happening at 5pm. At 3.45pm I unpacked my new shirt and put it on. The shirt did not fit! It was so unbelievably tight and I was unable to do up the bottom buttons. I must say I was absolutely livid and upset. Here I was just a short period of time before an emotional occasion and the clothes I had bought especially for the service didn’t fit. I was pretty upset. I then had no choice but to go out with very little time to purchase another shirt from a different store (a shirt that cost a great deal more). Far from ideal preparation for a funeral.

Personally I don’t think it’s fair to ask people to try on different clothes that may not fit correctly.

If anyone has an email address or had similar problem I'd love to know.

Cheers!
Page 1
    • Hintza
    • By Hintza 20th Mar 13, 4:24 PM
    • 18,405 Posts
    • 12,507 Thanks
    Hintza
    • 20th Mar 13, 4:24 PM
    • 20th Mar 13, 4:24 PM
    Never heard of anyone trying a shirt on before!
    Truth is like poetry. Most people don't like poetry!
  • trimmtrabdeano
    • 20th Mar 13, 4:34 PM
    • 20th Mar 13, 4:34 PM
    What do you suggest people do then? Guess? They do a couple of different styles regular and slim fit. And don't say that you'd ask them to measure you... this is the same shop that said 'the staff don’t like to fold them back up afterwards'. Thanks for your help though!
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 20th Mar 13, 4:41 PM
    • 8,104 Posts
    • 5,800 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 20th Mar 13, 4:41 PM
    • 20th Mar 13, 4:41 PM
    Originally posted by Hintza
    Agreed. It normally takes 15 minutes to get all the pins out and the cardboard collar stiffener.
    • Hintza
    • By Hintza 20th Mar 13, 5:38 PM
    • 18,405 Posts
    • 12,507 Thanks
    Hintza
    • 20th Mar 13, 5:38 PM
    • 20th Mar 13, 5:38 PM
    What do you suggest people do then?
    Originally posted by trimmtrabdeano
    The same as the vast majority of people buy the neck size that fits and err on the side of caution if you will be wearing a tie.
    Truth is like poetry. Most people don't like poetry!
  • Thomas Hardy
    • 20th Mar 13, 7:37 PM
    • 20th Mar 13, 7:37 PM
    Could you not have bought a shirt in Bognor? A forty mile round trip to Primark seems a false economy!
    • Country Cousin
    • By Country Cousin 20th Mar 13, 9:11 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    Country Cousin
    • 20th Mar 13, 9:11 PM
    • 20th Mar 13, 9:11 PM
    Originally posted by Hintza
    John Lewis have no problems with unwrapping shirts and letting you try them on. There are so many different styles these days - slim fit, classic fit, whatever else fit, different length arms - the list goes on.
    Trouble is I always feel guilty after JL have unwrapped it and so buy it anyway
  • goater78
    • 20th Mar 13, 9:16 PM
    • 20th Mar 13, 9:16 PM
    John Lewis have no problems with unwrapping shirts and letting you try them on. There are so many different styles these days - slim fit, classic fit, whatever else fit, different length arms - the list goes on.
    Trouble is I always feel guilty after JL have unwrapped it and so buy it anyway
    Originally posted by Country Cousin
    I imagine that's the difference between buying a shirt for £4 and buying one for £40.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 20th Mar 13, 9:28 PM
    • 17,000 Posts
    • 13,403 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 20th Mar 13, 9:28 PM
    • 20th Mar 13, 9:28 PM
    I imagine that's the difference between buying a shirt for £4 and buying one for £40.
    Originally posted by goater78
    And how much does a £4 shirt cost if you travel forty miles to buy it?
  • mikeandrach
    why leave it so late? its a funeral you must have known about it in advance? what do you expect from primark exactly in terms of service? you go there for the price not the quality of either the products or service, move on
    • PILES
    • By PILES 22nd Mar 13, 10:52 AM
    • 133 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    PILES
    Hi all,

Does anyone have an email address for Primark complaints?

I travelled to the Portsmouth store from my home in Bognor Regis to buy some clothes to wear to a family funeral which was on the same day. I bought a pair of trousers and a shirt. I always try on everything in store to make sure things fit correctly and I took a 15” and 15.5” shirt to the changing room to try on. At the changing room I was told that I couldn’t try on those shirts because ‘the staff don’t like to fold them back up afterwards’ and that I could try on a sample size shirt that I was assured would be exactly the same size as the ones I’d picked out. Fair enough I thought. It turned out that the sample size 14.5” shirt fit brilliantly and I then went off to purchase one in that size.

I got home, showered and got ready for the funeral which was happening at 5pm. At 3.45pm I unpacked my new shirt and put it on. The shirt did not fit! It was so unbelievably tight and I was unable to do up the bottom buttons. I must say I was absolutely livid and upset. Here I was just a short period of time before an emotional occasion and the clothes I had bought especially for the service didn’t fit. I was pretty upset. I then had no choice but to go out with very little time to purchase another shirt from a different store (a shirt that cost a great deal more). Far from ideal preparation for a funeral.

Personally I don’t think it’s fair to ask people to try on different clothes that may not fit correctly.

If anyone has an email address or had similar problem I'd love to know.

Cheers!
    Originally posted by trimmtrabdeano
    Ah well look on the bright side, you have a nice shirt for funerals and a tight shirt for impressing the ladies on Bognor Regis beach
    • Gordon Hose
    • By Gordon Hose 22nd Mar 13, 11:31 AM
    • 6,064 Posts
    • 4,111 Thanks
    Gordon Hose
    I've never tried a shirt on. I know my size and buy accordingly. If it then didn't fit when I got home, I'd return it.

Sounds like your shopping trip has been left til the last minute and backfired.
  • jkkne
    Danger of buying from somewhere like Primark.

Most mid range and decent shops will allow you to try on or offer advice

Next and M&S will measure you neck and offer 'try on' shirts in all styles.

It's all well saying your a 15 but in slim fit, tailored fit, modern fit, regular fit...you could well be something else. Lesson learned
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 22nd Mar 13, 1:51 PM
    • 12,431 Posts
    • 7,812 Thanks
    arcon5
    I, like op, would have wanted to try it on too. It may well be that op doesn't wear shirts often and doesn't actually know what size fits him best!
    • PILES
    • By PILES 22nd Mar 13, 1:59 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    PILES
    I, like op, would have wanted to try it on too. It may well be that op doesn't wear shirts often and doesn't actually know what size fits him best!
    Originally posted by arcon5
    I have never known anyone try on a shirt before buying. Can understand it with trousers and other unpacked items but shirts are packaged and pinned. Most stores would measure you up to help you out. Would people buy a new shirt that had already been worn?
    • pimento
    • By pimento 22nd Mar 13, 2:35 PM
    • 4,978 Posts
    • 6,463 Thanks
    pimento
    I'm not a man but for women's clothes a general rule of thumb for me is the cheaper the shop, the bigger size I need.

If I were buying in Primark, I might even go up two sizes.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • piglet25
    • By piglet25 23rd Mar 13, 12:01 AM
    • 870 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    piglet25
    I have a few tops from Primarni, they range from a size twelve upto a size twenty, I am a size fourteen everywhere else. Always try their stuff on because I think the size truthfulness (!) depends on which sweatshop sticks the labels in
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 23rd Mar 13, 11:58 AM
    • 1,866 Posts
    • 1,244 Thanks
    Shelldean
    my boys always try stuff on, esp as they dont the hassle of going shopping twice!!!

One of the twins has long arms, and lots of things simply dont fit him.
    And I do agree sizes vary such a lot between shops, that you have try things on to ensure they fit.

Primark shirts aren't pinned anyway?? Certainly the one my boys brought to go with their first suits weren't. they was just hung on hangers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

862Users online

Martin's Twitter