Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    tom_bombadil
    Match.com refund?
    • 18th Mar 13, 4:58 PM
    Match.com refund? 18th Mar 13 at 4:58 PM
    Hi guys,

I could use some advice. Match.com has just taken £77 from my account and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to get it back. They've automatically renewed my subscription and I thought it would just end when the subscription finished.

This has happened today and I'm wondering if it is covered by the distance selling regulations? ie. that if the service hasnt been used I'm allow to cancel it within the first 7 days and a get refund? I have used it when I subscribed originally 6 months ago but I havent used it since its been renewed.

Is there anything I can do?
Page 3
    • Stevest10
    • By Stevest10 9th Dec 16, 10:22 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Stevest10
    I have never felt more angry, powerless and I feel raped.
    Match.com have taken £179 from my account today... Can't do anything about it , why is this practice legal?
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 9th Dec 16, 11:16 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    daytona0
    Match.com have taken £179 from my account today... Can't do anything about it , why is this practice legal?
    Originally posted by Stevest10
    Did you cancel the auto-renewal in time? £179 seems like a hefty fee so I assume it was a 12 month one?

Also, I normally wouldn't call someone up on this but using words like "raped" and "powerless" in the context of a dating website, when you have merely lost some money, seems to trivialise rape quite a bit!
    • mchessa
    • By mchessa 14th May 17, 5:04 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mchessa
    Hi guys,

just to let you know that me too I was renewed the membership automatically even though I am positively sure that I removed the option when first subscribed 6 months ago. I was furious when I discovered that £89.94 was charged to my credit card and wrote a firm email to customer service requesting immediate refund. I was ready for a fight but with my surprise the following day I received a reply saying that just this once, as I gesture of good will they are refunding the total amount. Don't be afraid to ask and be firm!
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 14th May 17, 6:06 PM
    • 1,490 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    IAmWales
    Originally posted by Stevest10
    I know it's an old post but
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 14th May 17, 8:11 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    daytona0
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    Been waiting 6 months for a thanks!!!
    • daytona0
    • By daytona0 14th May 17, 8:13 PM
    • 2,237 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    daytona0
    Don't be afraid to ask and be firm!
    Originally posted by mchessa
    Dating advice which has served me well in the past
    • harrys dad
    • By harrys dad 15th May 17, 12:49 PM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 2,036 Thanks
    harrys dad
    Maybe all the people on this resurrected thread who forgot to cancel auto renewal on Match.com should get together and see if they can pair up? I am sure they would get on well and at least have a common interest. Who knows, we may end up with our first "I was robbed by match.com" wedding.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th May 17, 1:24 PM
    • 19,565 Posts
    • 9,673 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Originally posted by IAmWales
    That user's other similar posts on the same subject substitute the words, "shafted" and "abused" for "raped".
    As one of the posts appeared on the "It's gone, but was it any good? " thread, I rather suspect the motive....

User made all his posts on the same day and never returned..
    Last edited by Moneyineptitude; 15-05-2017 at 1:26 PM.
    • Rosie_Lucy
    • By Rosie_Lucy 2nd Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rosie_Lucy
    Hi guys,

just to let you know that me too I was renewed the membership automatically even though I am positively sure that I removed the option when first subscribed 6 months ago. I was furious when I discovered that £89.94 was charged to my credit card and wrote a firm email to customer service requesting immediate refund. I was ready for a fight but with my surprise the following day I received a reply saying that just this once, as I gesture of good will they are refunding the total amount. Don't be afraid to ask and be firm!
    Originally posted by mchessa
    Your post is really helpful. I got nowhere with match customer services in the phone with this issue, so am planning to write to them instead. When you said you wrote a 'firm email', what exactly did you say? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Rosie.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

377Posts Today

3,131Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin