Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    jjbuk
    0 WOW
    Do not be taken in by travel republic's "book for 1" offer. It is a scam!!
    • 13th Mar 13, 6:06 PM
    0 WOW
    Do not be taken in by travel republic's "book for 1" offer. It is a scam!! 13th Mar 13 at 6:06 PM
    I booked a week's hotel accommodation with Travel Republic on March 1st under their 'book for 1' offer. After providing my payment details the site advised that my booking was not confirmed until I received a confirmation email.

Clearly not wanting to commit to booking flights until the hotel confirmation arrived I waited until today (12 days later) and looked to see if flights were available - they weren't. So I called TR to confirm that as I hadn't received confirmation I would need to cancel the dates.

The operator said my booking had indeed been confirmed by email and that if I wanted to cancel my accommodation I was facing a penalty charge of 300!!

While speaking to her I checked with my email provider and sure enough no record of any confirmation email from TR existed. Nevertheless she continued to sneerily intimate that either I was stupid or a liar and that I must have seen the confirmation.

It seems to me that the "Book For 1" offer is clearly a scam - a way to entrap unsuspecting travellers into committing to a booking, then promising email confirmation which never arrives, then charging horrendous cancellation charges.

If this sounds far fetched then consider this - the room type I booked was priced at 1,700 on March 1st. TR have told me I can now pay 20 to rebook to the following week but the rate I booked at is no longer available and I will now have to pay over 4,500.

Seems TR can't lose - they get 300 for doing absolutely nothing apart from falsely representing a holiday that can't be delivered and if you don't like that you can have the same holiday a week later for 3x the price.

They are operating a scam against unsuspecting consumers and I will make it my business to broadcast this message far and wide.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

310Posts Today

1,775Users online

Martin's Twitter