Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Simon7685
    • By Simon7685 8th Mar 13, 10:08 PM
    • 1,032Posts
    • 438Thanks
    Simon7685
    Leave Sky and go to Freesat - Any good?
    • 8th Mar 13, 10:08 PM
    Leave Sky and go to Freesat - Any good? 8th Mar 13 at 10:08 PM
    As the title suggests I am considering leaving Sky and moving over to Freesat, I would appreicate any advice on whether Freesat is any good.

My situation is, I currently have the following with Sky;

Sky Entertainment Extra
    Multiroom
    HD Subscription - currently on a 12 month 1/2 price deal until May 2013
    Sky Talk Anytime calls
    Sky Line Rental
    Sky Broadband unlimited

Total cost = £67 a month

I have just found out that I can receive Freesat by simply plugging a box in as it comes from the same satellite via the Sky dish.

So in essence I can save around £35 a month by switching to Freesat. I will need to buy a PVR and a 2nd receiver for the teenage tearaways room, so around £300 to fork out. However that would be recovered in less than a year. don't want to do though is jump to find out Freesat is not all that it is made out to be. So any advice would be greatly appreciated especially from those that have Freesat and know how good or bad it is.

Thanks in advance
Page 21
    • almillar
    • By almillar 3rd Oct 17, 1:01 PM
    • 7,114 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    almillar
    Who mentioned buying new boxes? Is the term Freesat not self explanatory?
    It definitely isn't! If you've got Sky and you stop subscribing, you end up with 'freesatfromsky'. No cost. If you want Freesat you need to buy a Freesat box, with a logo and everything.
    Also not to be confused with, simply, free satellite, where you can buy a box, a dish, and point it at whatever satellite you can find to receive TV.

I return to this having carried out more research and decided to buy a Humax HDR-1100S:
    Good call.
    *There is a difference, I have found, between a Twin LNB and a Dual LNB. The Twin is served by ONE satellite, whether Sky, Astra or Freesat. The Sky LNB is wideband and different to the Freesat LNB.
    This isn't my understanding. I've got Freesat and Sky HD in my house, and a Quad LNB. One dish, one LNB, all pointing at the same place, serving out 4 outputs (2 to the Sky box, 2 to the Freesat box. Sky and Freesat come from the same satellite.

Hybrid,
    - this is the new one. It has come along with Sky Q, which uses a different type of LNB (?) and can't be used with others. Sky, SkyHD and Freesat can all take a feed from a 'normal' LNB. Sky Q needs a 'special' LNB, and if you want to mix services, you need a Hybrid LNB.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 3rd Oct 17, 10:57 PM
    • 18,889 Posts
    • 10,114 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    It definitely isn't! If you've got Sky and you stop subscribing, you end up with 'freesatfromsky'.
    Originally posted by almillar
    Not anymore. Anyone leaving Sky having had a Q decoder has to return it to Sky and ends up with no service at all. Only those with original Sky+HD (or earlier variants) get "FreesatfromSky"

This isn't my understanding. I've got Freesat and Sky HD in my house, and a Quad LNB. One dish, one LNB, all pointing at the same place, serving out 4 outputs (2 to the Sky box, 2 to the Freesat box. Sky and Freesat come from the same satellite.
    Correct. Both Sky and Freesat are pointed at exactly the same alignment.

this is the new one. It has come along with Sky Q, which uses a different type of LNB
    Correct. Sky Q uses a different LNB which is not compatible with Sky+HD and Freesat decoders.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 4th Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    • 7,114 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    almillar
    Not anymore. Anyone leaving Sky having had a Q decoder has to return it to Sky and ends up with no service at all. Only those with original Sky+HD (or earlier variants) get "FreesatfromSky"
    Ah yes, good point - Sky Q customers never own 'their' equipment, so they'll just be left with wires if they quit.
    • pma13
    • By pma13 28th Oct 17, 5:00 PM
    • 115 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    pma13
    Sky ...Will box work as free view box if cancel
    Hello

Apologies in advance total techno phobe here. I am currently in process buying house and trying to cut outgoings as close as possible. I currently have sky package tv variety bundle / multi room / phone / sky talk anytime / and sky fibre unlimited. Works out about £90 per month . We definitely need the Sky fibre and we need a phone line . So thinking need cut tv to be honest my son watch's nick toons and daughter her soaps. I mostly watch Netflix when I can get a bloody signal on what's supposed to be an internet tv. The tv in the lounge is not internet enabled but think must be free view. What I am thinking is if I cancelled tv package which accounts for 44 pound of Bill can I use the set top boxes as free view boxes as I have no tv aerial upstairs . I am thinking cutting the package won't be that simple as I am sure the deal us tied up with the tv / phone etc hope this makes sense
    • molerat
    • By molerat 28th Oct 17, 5:12 PM
    • 17,469 Posts
    • 11,694 Thanks
    molerat
    Yes it will work as a Freesat system. You will lose any recording and catch up abilities you had with your subscription / box. There may be some channels missing from this free option.
    http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky/Using-an-Old-Box-for-Freesat/td-p/2694410
    Last edited by molerat; 28-10-2017 at 5:19 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 28th Oct 17, 7:14 PM
    • 4,484 Posts
    • 1,648 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Tell Sky you are leaving and do not want all those channels, we did and pay £28 a month for BB, line rental with "pay as you talk" and a basic freesat from Sky TV package called TV+ which gives us all the usual non-Sky TV channels with record, catch-up etc.
    Last edited by knightstyle; 28-10-2017 at 7:46 PM. Reason: add a bit.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 28th Oct 17, 11:11 PM
    • 8,606 Posts
    • 5,093 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Tell Sky you are leaving and do not want all those channels, we did and pay £28 a month for BB, line rental with "pay as you talk" and a basic freesat from Sky TV package called TV+ which gives us all the usual non-Sky TV channels with record, catch-up etc.
    Originally posted by knightstyle

A Humax box or similar is a better option than paying for Sky+, as you own the box, which a year's fees would almost buy, depending on how sophisticated a machine you require.

The choice of Freeview or Freesat would depend on whether the new home has an aerial (for the former)or a dish (for the latter.)
    Last edited by teddysmum; 28-10-2017 at 11:14 PM.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 28th Oct 17, 11:49 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Yeah the problem with Sky+ is if you don't cough up you can't record on it, and you'll also lose all the catch and ability to watch stuff in your planner that you don't have an active subscription for. Also I think it's £10 a month just for the Sky+ functionality - nice as it is it isn't worth it on its own just for that, you might as well just, as above, get a Freesat box.

Course the other option is Now TV which beats Sky+ price wise but isn't as flexible as its streaming down the internet. So for NickToons that's the Kids pass which is only £2.99 a month. Soaps wise, well if that's just the mainstream ones (EastEnders, Corrie, Emmerdale and Hollyoaks plus its "first look" on E4) they're all on Freeview anyway.

If you're having problems with the Wi-Fi assuming the TV and the internet are in different rooms you can get wireless boosters or you may be able to network the TV to the internet via network cable or HomePlug... There are solutions and I presume you're using the standard Sky router, the SR101 or SR102? They're both crap for wireless...
    • Alpha 5
    • By Alpha 5 29th Oct 17, 8:08 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Alpha 5
    If the OP has a Sky Q box it will need to be returned to Sky, as it remains their property.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 29th Oct 17, 9:05 AM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I am thinking cutting the package won't be that simple as I am sure the deal us tied up with the tv / phone etc hope this makes sense
    Originally posted by pma13
    They're separate packages but of course it depends on whether you're out of minimum term for the TV part. If you're determined on leaving Sky for TV they will offer you a deal. If you are out of minimum term for the phone/LR/BB then it's worth seeing what else is available at your (new) location and what Sky can offer to match it.
    • qsk
    • By qsk 29th Oct 17, 1:12 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    qsk
    Yes it will work as a Freesat system. You will lose any recording and catch up abilities you had with your subscription / box. There may be some channels missing from this free option.
    http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky/Using-an-Old-Box-for-Freesat/td-p/2694410
    Originally posted by molerat
    Thanks for this. My Sky will be turned off tomorrow. Unless they offer me a deal soon after that, I'm moving to Freeset/Humax (for recording). Based on the listing there, there are two "free" types: one "free to air" and one "free to view". Anyone know if you can use the Sky card in Humax box for "free to view" channels such as "Sony Channels"?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 29th Oct 17, 2:59 PM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Thanks for this. My Sky will be turned off tomorrow. Unless they offer me a deal soon after that, I'm moving to Freeset/Humax (for recording). Based on the listing there, there are two "free" types: one "free to air" and one "free to view". Anyone know if you can use the Sky card in Humax box for "free to view" channels such as "Sony Channels"?
    Originally posted by qsk
    No, that said you're really not missing anything with no Sony channels.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 1st Nov 17, 12:59 PM
    • 7,114 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    almillar
    Based on the listing there, there are two "free" types: one "free to air" and one "free to view".
    This only applies to Sky boxes and the Sky TV Guide. It defines whether the channel is encrypted or not. If it's encrypted, the card needs to decrypt it to view it.
    Anyone know if you can use the Sky card in Humax box for "free to view"
    A Sky card doesn't go in a Humax box. No card is needed for Freesat - if it's on the Freesat guide, you can get it.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 1st Nov 17, 3:36 PM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    This only applies to Sky boxes and the Sky TV Guide. It defines whether the channel is encrypted or not. If it's encrypted, the card needs to decrypt it to view it.
    And there's precious few of them left now and even fewer that anyone would miss.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 9th Nov 17, 8:15 PM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 2,667 Thanks
    Robisere
    Returning when I said I wouldn't? Yes, to pass on tips that may be useful to others.

My setup is now: Sony Bravia 40RD (non-smart) TV, cabled by optical toslink to a Samsung HW-250 soundbar and by ARC HDMI lead to the Humax HDR-1100S, which is ethernet cable connected.

I had a sound problem with this setup, solved by setting the HDMI-CEC correctly in the TV Settings and by also setting the Humax Audio to "Stereo" instead of "Multi Channel". That is because I failed to account for the soundbar being a simple 2.1 Stereo device, not a Surround Sound one with multi-channel speaker outputs. Anyone using a Sony Bravia TV with a Sony soundbar or Home Cinema, can use the Bravia setup on both, to set them up simply and easily.

The Twin LNb was fitted in minutes for a couple of pints later and it all works well. My next move is to fit a NowTV box to the TV via the second HDMI socket. Switching is controllable from the TV. To connect both boxes to internet via one ethernet cable, I have bought a small network switch, to take two outlets.

We are not missing Sky at all.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• The weedie
    • By The weedie 10th Nov 17, 8:18 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    The weedie
    I got sick fed up paying a small fortune every month for a load of channels that I never watched or had any interest in watching.

I have an amazon prime account - which I think is great value. Coupled with a netflix account. Along with freeview I have pretty much everything I want to watch but am now saving £50-60 a month.

The only thing I miss is football - when I got to watch it that is. If there is a big game on that is a must watch i'll just make the trip to the local pub.

I'm very surprised more people aren't just doing the same. Sky is just a rip off IMO

I would go back if they offered me freeview + skysports/btsports for £30 a month. If they offered a package like that, I can see that flying off the shelve.
    • Calamityjon
    • By Calamityjon 10th Nov 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Calamityjon
    You could always get nowtv. They have 24 hour/weekly/monthly sky sports passes for watching the occasional big game at home.
    Also some new TVs come with not only freeview but also freesat built in. So swapping from sky to freesat is as simple as moving the cable from the sky box to the tv
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Nov 17, 1:11 AM
    • 18,889 Posts
    • 10,114 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    My next move is to fit a NowTV box to the TV
    Originally posted by Robisere
    You do realise that Sky owns NowTV? You said you hate Sky.

We are not missing Sky at all.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    So why are you going to pay for NowTV which provides Sky Channels ?
    • The weedie
    • By The weedie 11th Nov 17, 5:29 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    The weedie
    You could always get nowtv. They have 24 hour/weekly/monthly sky sports passes for watching the occasional big game at home.
    Also some new TVs come with not only freeview but also freesat built in. So swapping from sky to freesat is as simple as moving the cable from the sky box to the tv
    Originally posted by Calamityjon
    £6.99 for a day pass is a rip off.

£10.99 for a week pass is pointless as they don't have any football on during the week - BT have all European games.

So effectively i'd be paying £5 extra for nowt.

They have a good deal on the month one though to be fair. I'd just have to get a BT sports account sorted now and that may be my route.

Thanks for the heads up
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 12th Nov 17, 8:32 PM
    • 4,484 Posts
    • 1,648 Thanks
    knightstyle
    We were in the same boat as the poster a few years ago and got a deal from Sky for line rental with no calls, unlimited BB plus a thing called TV+ which is the same as freesat. No Sky channels but the record/playback and catchup still work. At the moment this costs just £22.40 a month, it ends soon and they want just under £29 a month, still haggling though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

195Posts Today

1,577Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin