Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Simon7685
    • By Simon7685 8th Mar 13, 10:08 PM
    • 1,035Posts
    • 438Thanks
    Simon7685
    Leave Sky and go to Freesat - Any good?
    • 8th Mar 13, 10:08 PM
    Leave Sky and go to Freesat - Any good? 8th Mar 13 at 10:08 PM
    As the title suggests I am considering leaving Sky and moving over to Freesat, I would appreicate any advice on whether Freesat is any good.

My situation is, I currently have the following with Sky;

Sky Entertainment Extra
    Multiroom
    HD Subscription - currently on a 12 month 1/2 price deal until May 2013
    Sky Talk Anytime calls
    Sky Line Rental
    Sky Broadband unlimited

Total cost = £67 a month

I have just found out that I can receive Freesat by simply plugging a box in as it comes from the same satellite via the Sky dish.

So in essence I can save around £35 a month by switching to Freesat. I will need to buy a PVR and a 2nd receiver for the teenage tearaways room, so around £300 to fork out. However that would be recovered in less than a year. don't want to do though is jump to find out Freesat is not all that it is made out to be. So any advice would be greatly appreciated especially from those that have Freesat and know how good or bad it is.

Thanks in advance
Page 20
    • almillar
    • By almillar 9th Jun 17, 1:03 PM
    • 7,115 Posts
    • 2,864 Thanks
    almillar
    Thanks for that. There is a dish and I think an aerial too at the new house.
    Good. 'Cheapest' means making assumptions about what equipment you already have. Assuming your TV has Freeview built in, you just plug that into your aerial. That's cheapest. Want to record? Want more channels? That'll cost.
    If you want phone, TV, broadband all together, TalkTalk and BT would be worth looking at - you can get a Freeview recording box which plugs into that aerial, and on demand stuff too. Have a look around MSE for offers.
    • Goldfynche
    • By Goldfynche 16th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Goldfynche
    Freesat
    I, like a lot of people, got fed up with paying £60 a month to Sky, for basically, repeats of the same programmes, day after day! And no HD with the basic Sky Box!
    So I cancelled Sky and opted for Freesat. A separate set top box that gives you up to 200 Free TV and radio channels, with HD, at no extra cost after the box purchase. Freesat uses your Sky dish and with the more sophisticated boxes you can record two programmes whilst simultaneously watching a third.
    You can set it to record a single episode or automatically record an entire series. Plus you can pause and rewind live TV!
    When a man says he will do it. He will!
    He doesn't need reminding, every six months.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 1st Oct 17, 12:27 PM
    • 1,938 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    Robisere
    Sky to Humax freesat.
    I am about to leave Sky TV and buy a Humax HD-R 1100S Freesat box with a 1TB recorder. I have read a great deal of conflicting information about this process. Some sources say that a new LNB is needed, others that the 2 F-connector jacks previously connected to a Q Box, will connect to the Humax and receive all Freesat services, without changing the LNB. I have 2 questions for any kind soul here who can advise me:

*Is it possible to connect and use all Humax Freesat facilities correctly, without buying and installing a new, different LNB?

*If not, is it possible for a home user to change the LNB, or would adjustments be necessary, with a professional?

I have no problem with getting professional help, as there is an engineer in the village whose work includes setting up commercial and social housing for TV, CCTV and internet services. However, as an ex-motor engineer who also has a qualified electrician grandson, I think, after a close look at the dish, that I should be able to do this.
    Thanks for all advice, much appreciated.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• Mister G
    • By Mister G 1st Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Mister G
    Of course, if the OP doesn't have Sky Q, then the Humax will be a straight swap.

Sorry, jut spotted that he does currently have Q!
    Last edited by Mister G; 01-10-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 1st Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    • 18,922 Posts
    • 10,125 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    if the OP doesn't have Sky Q, then the Humax will be a straight swap.
    Originally posted by Mister G
    Quite so. However, it is clear from this and earlier posts that the OP does indeed have Sky Q.

EDIT:
    Sorry, jut spotted that he does currently have Q!
    Quite so.
    • bigbulldog
    • By bigbulldog 1st Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    bigbulldog
    Maybe he had a dual lnb fitted like me as I have Sky Q and Freesat.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 1st Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 1,938 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    Robisere
    Maybe he had a dual lnb fitted like me as I have Sky Q and Freesat.
    Originally posted by bigbulldog
    First: thanks for the advice everyone.
    Next: please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what is meant by 'dual LNB'. There are two white cables from my current Sky LNB, connected to two F-connector jacks at the Q box. Is that a dual LNB?

I don't want to continue running Sky, I have cancelled and service ends on 27/10/17. I just want a Humax box running Freesat.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 1st Oct 17, 7:56 PM
    • 18,922 Posts
    • 10,125 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I just want a Humax box running Freesat.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    As already stated, you'll need a new Low Noise Block (LNB) downconverter.

It's extremely unlikely that the LNB fitted by Sky for a Q service will also accommodate a Freesat receiver unless you specifically asked for such a hybrid at the time of installation. Hybrids are not fitted as standard.

The LNB for a Sky Q is completely different to that on a traditional Sky receiver and so it will not be immediately connectable to a Humax satellite receiver.

Fitting a new LNB is easily a DIY job, just take care not to knock the dish out of alignment.

Just one more reason for you to hate Sky, Robisere!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 1st Oct 17, 8:29 PM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    First: thanks for the advice everyone.
    Next: please excuse my ignorance, but I don't know what is meant by 'dual LNB'. There are two white cables from my current Sky LNB, connected to two F-connector jacks at the Q box. Is that a dual LNB?

I don't want to continue running Sky, I have cancelled and service ends on 27/10/17. I just want a Humax box running Freesat.
    It's usually referred to as a hybrid LNB, this one has 2 connections for 1 Q box and 4 connections for 2 HD+ or 2 recordable Freesat boxes (or even 4 non-recordable boxes). So you could have 1 Q box and 2 HD+ boxes plugged in at the same time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Way-Hybrid-LNB-HD/dp/7555564149/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506885977&sr=8-1&keywords=hybrid+lnb

It's a straight swap for the one you have now as long as you don't move the dish or fall off the roof.

If you do move the dish btw it's not difficult to realign it using something like the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/sat-finder-high-quality-positioning-sensitivity-instructions/dp/B00O0YA868/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506886363&sr=8-1&keywords=satellite+dish+signal+finder
    Last edited by Colin_Maybe; 01-10-2017 at 8:33 PM.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 1st Oct 17, 8:49 PM
    • 18,922 Posts
    • 10,125 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I So you could have 1 Q box and 2 HD+ boxes plugged in at the same time.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Robisere doesn't need such a hybrid, since he won't be using it for Sky Q (he hates Sky). A hybrid LNB is therefore not moneysaving.
    All he requires is a basic LNB with two feeds.
    If you do move the dish btw it's not difficult to realign it using something like the following:
    A tenner is quite expensive for just one realignment, though..
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 2nd Oct 17, 9:17 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Robisere doesn't need such a hybrid, since he won't be using it for Sky Q (he hates Sky). A hybrid LNB is therefore not moneysaving.
    All he requires is a basic LNB with two feeds.

A tenner is quite expensive for just one realignment, though..
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    It's generalised information since it's not just Robisere who would read that. Anyone who gets or keeps Sky Q could still use the feeds on a hybrid LNB and watch Freesat on the other boxes around the house without paying £12 extra a month for Sky multiroom. That's moneysaving

Will a tenner (I paid £6.99 years ago and you can still get them for around that) pay for someone local to come around clambering up on the roof (presumably) to do it for them?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd Oct 17, 11:37 AM
    • 18,922 Posts
    • 10,125 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Anyone who gets or keeps Sky Q could still use the feeds on a hybrid LNB and watch Freesat on the other boxes around the house without paying £12 extra a month for Sky multiroom. That's moneysaving
    Unfortunately the Sky Q mini boxes connected to the main Sky Q decoder are wi-fi and so not also connected to the dish. Anyone with such an arrangement would therefore need to shell out for extra original Sky decoders in order to get "multi-room" Freesat. It's also only a "saving" if the customer doesn't mind losing access to the subscription channels in those other rooms.

In addition, don't forget that Q boxes have to be returned to Sky on cancellation. The hybrid Q connection will then become redundant.

So, only a basic twin feed LNB is required for a single Freesat Humax box. This will cost around a third of the price of a needless hybrid. No need to buy a satellite finder either, just be ultra careful of moving the dish out of alignment while fitting the LNB. Now that IS moneysaving

Will a tenner pay for someone local to come around clambering up on the roof (presumably) to do it for them?
    No, but I really wouldn't expect someone to install an LNB if the dish is on the roof
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 2nd Oct 17, 12:59 PM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 599 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Unfortunately the Sky Q mini boxes connected to the main Sky Q decoder are wi-fi and so not also connected to the dish. Anyone with such an arrangement would therefore need to shell out for extra original Sky decoders in order to get "multi-room" Freesat. It's also only a "saving" if the customer doesn't mind losing access to the subscription channels in those other rooms.

In addition, don't forget that Q boxes have to be returned to Sky on cancellation. The hybrid Q connection will then become redundant.

So, only a basic twin feed LNB is required for a single Freesat Humax box. This will cost around a third of the price of a needless hybrid. No need to buy a satellite finder either, just be ultra careful of moving the dish out of alignment while fitting the LNB. Now that IS moneysaving

No, but I really wouldn't expect someone to install an LNB if the dish is on the roof
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Who mentioned buying new boxes? Is the term Freesat not self explanatory?

The satellite finder was only mentioned in case they did move the dish, did you miss that bit too?
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 2nd Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,938 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    Robisere
    First, thanks for moving my Thread and thanks to all who gave advice and help, much appreciated.
    I return to this having carried out more research and decided to buy a Humax HDR-1100S:

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/hdr-1100s/

I have a mate in the village who is a commercial supplier and fitter of TV/Internet/video services and will fit me a TWIN * LNB, also making sure the dish is correctly aligned. All for a low cash price.

*There is a difference, I have found, between a Twin LNB and a Dual LNB. The Twin is served by ONE satellite, whether Sky, Astra or Freesat. The Sky LNB is wideband and different to the Freesat LNB.

The Dual is served by TWO satellite services, usually Freesat and Sky. There is also another name for the Dual: Hybrid, and (just to add more confusion), there are Quad and Octo LNB's which can also be Hybrid. Or not, if they are only used to supply multi-room setups with the same satellite service.

After the new LNB is fitted and dish is OK, the two F-connectors which are currently connected to the Q box, will connect directly to the Humax box, which also has Ethernet, Wireless, HDMI, optical, SPDIF and USB ports. I already have an ethernet cable previously used for something else, which has been routed over the loft and into a wall plate. This will connect the Humax. The optical port will connect to my sound bar. All in all, I am expecting to be go on the 26th of this month.

I wouldn't say that I hate Sky, more disillusioned with what was on offer. I don't think that I will miss much more than a couple of box sets, and I also have a NOWTV box that I can use occasionally, when GOT returns next year, or a film, box set or Sports event catches my eye. I think that I will get as much or more out of that mix, as I got from Sky. Even allowing for the expense of the Humax box - once bought, it will last longer than my Sky contract did, and work out cheaper. Time will tell, I suppose.

I have learned some things new again, which at 72 years of age is another bonus!

• Mister G
    • By Mister G 2nd Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    • 449 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    Mister G
    You may want to consider fitting a quad LNB, as then you can add another Humax receiver (or even a second hand Sky box) later (bedroom perhaps?). The difference in cost is really quite small (£2-3).
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 2nd Oct 17, 8:38 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    First, thanks for moving my Thread and thanks to all who gave advice and help, much appreciated.
    I return to this having carried out more research and decided to buy a Humax HDR-1100S:

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/hdr-1100s/

I have a mate in the village who is a commercial supplier and fitter of TV/Internet/video services and will fit me a TWIN * LNB, also making sure the dish is correctly aligned. All for a low cash price.

*There is a difference, I have found, between a Twin LNB and a Dual LNB. The Twin is served by ONE satellite, whether Sky, Astra or Freesat. The Sky LNB is wideband and different to the Freesat LNB.

The Dual is served by TWO satellite services, usually Freesat and Sky. There is also another name for the Dual: Hybrid, and (just to add more confusion), there are Quad and Octo LNB's which can also be Hybrid. Or not, if they are only used to supply multi-room setups with the same satellite service.

After the new LNB is fitted and dish is OK, the two F-connectors which are currently connected to the Q box, will connect directly to the Humax box, which also has Ethernet, Wireless, HDMI, optical, SPDIF and USB ports. I already have an ethernet cable previously used for something else, which has been routed over the loft and into a wall plate. This will connect the Humax. The optical port will connect to my sound bar. All in all, I am expecting to be go on the 26th of this month.

I wouldn't say that I hate Sky, more disillusioned with what was on offer. I don't think that I will miss much more than a couple of box sets, and I also have a NOWTV box that I can use occasionally, when GOT returns next year, or a film, box set or Sports event catches my eye. I think that I will get as much or more out of that mix, as I got from Sky. Even allowing for the expense of the Humax box - once bought, it will last longer than my Sky contract did, and work out cheaper. Time will tell, I suppose.

I have learned some things new again, which at 72 years of age is another bonus!
    Thatís exactly what I did. Why pay sky all that money?
    The Humax 1100s is excellent and I got a 5 year warranty with mine from richersounds for an extra 20 quid.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 2nd Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 1,938 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    Robisere
    You may want to consider fitting a quad LNB, as then you can add another Humax receiver (or even a second hand Sky box) later (bedroom perhaps?). The difference in cost is really quite small (£2-3).
    Many thanks for that, but we are a couple in our 70's who live in a small 2-bed bungalow. My OH does not watch TV much after 11 pm, as she is usually dozing beside me on the settee by then. We like some of the same programmes, but sport, war and anything with more than a little violent content, turns her off. I usually watch early sport on the PC in a separate room, as I have fitted a TV card to it, whilst she watches stuff such as quizzes, 'talent' shows and Come Dancing on the main box in the lounge. After 11 pm I will have the main TV to myself. OH does not want a TV in the bedroom.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 2nd Oct 17, 11:44 PM
    • 18,922 Posts
    • 10,125 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Who mentioned buying new boxes? Is the term Freesat not self explanatory?
    The point was that Robisere has Sky Q, so in order to get Freesat in other rooms he'd have to buy separate and different decoders to his current set up. I know you said your answers were for general reading, mine were specific to the ones which the poster asked.
    I wouldn't say that I hate Sky
    Well, your threads on the subject of cancellation certainly gave that impression; First accusing them of fraud and later of deliberately reducing your internet speed simply because you cancelled!

By the way, you really didn't need to pay anyone to fit a new LNB; it's definitely a DIY job.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 3rd Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 1,938 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    Robisere
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robisere
    I wouldn't say that I hate Sky

Well, your threads on the subject of cancellation certainly gave that impression; First accusing them of fraud and later of deliberately reducing your internet speed simply because you cancelled!

By the way, you really didn't need to pay anyone to fit a new LNB; it's definitely a DIY job.

Yes you keep bringing that up, don't you? Exaggeration is your forte, it seems. Look back at that post (cba to link it) and see that it was not an accusation. And my download speed was reduced, still is not what I began with and had for the first few weeks. I had many more problems than those with Sky, who took their own sweet time about doing anything about them, every time, and often completely screwed up the 'solution' by making things worse. An accumulation of successive problems, and the fact that I was not getting my money's worth, led to me leaving.
    You obviously did not read the reasons why I am having the LNB professionally fitted, but that seems to be a part of your selective reading history.
    To prevent me reading any more of your comments on this thread, I will not return to it.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 3rd Oct 17, 11:54 AM
    • 18,922 Posts
    • 10,125 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    You obviously did not read the reasons why I am having the LNB professionally fitted, but that seems to be a part of your selective reading history.
    I did indeed read what you've said in all your Sky related posts. But I won't hark back to your other problems again.

I told you what LNB to purchase and fit from the outset and I also said it was a DIY job. I stand by that assertion. It's your own choice to pay someone (even a friend doing it cheaply).

It is, of course, also your own choice to ignore my responses. just as it mine to construct such responses.

Note that it's just as easy to set individual posters to "ignore" as it is to not return to specific threads.

Good luck with your new Humax decoder. I hope it gives you many happy trouble-free years of service.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,902Posts Today

8,612Users online

Martin's Twitter