Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 5,002Posts
    • 31,077Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £106.40
    Jan NSDs 6 Jan AFDs 8
    Weight loss 2.5/10LBS Emergency Fund £1685.31/£10,000
    April holiday £0/£900
Page 267
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 12th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 8,512 Posts
    • 48,312 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Happy Birthday DD!

Your lunch time date sounds fab Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 4/60
    Lbs lost 8.5/107.
    Savings for Florida £51.04/£1000
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,689 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blimey, all happening in your neck of the woods.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 5,037 Thanks
    redofromstart
    The station thing looked awful SA, a lot of our people commute in that way so our office was fairly empty too apparently.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 13th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 5,244 Posts
    • 9,961 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Do you ever wonder how your children ended up in their 30's? I do this and mine are only 11 and 9 (on Monday!), I can't imagine them being 30! xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    It goes very very quickly. My two girls are now 30 and 31 and one is a mum herself which just seems unbelievable to me. I can still remember them as small children and no way does it seem like 25 years ago. I had a moment of deja vu today when my daughter (now 5 months pregnant with her 2nd) sent me a whats app picture of a new crib for the baby with my 2 year old granddaughter rocking it with her doll in it. As SA says, make the best of it as the years shoot by.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 31,077 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    It really is frightening how fast the years go by.

So pleased all the hard work has paid off this week and I lost 3lbs at WW As you know I was aiming for 1lb and was so shocked I asked the coach if she was sure. Next week's target was lose 1.5lbs so I've already smashed that. So my next target is to lose another 3lbs get back to goal. Not expecting to do that in a week though.

Not done a lot else today except for clean up. Mr SA went back to bed a while ago. Haven't told him his next brain scan is Wednesday, will remind him on Wednesday morning. He just frets otherwise.

Hope everyone is having a fab day.
    Jan NSDs 6 Jan AFDs 8
    April holiday £0/£900
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 5,037 Thanks
    redofromstart
    ooh well done on the 3lbs
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 13th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    • 5,824 Posts
    • 20,332 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Thanks ES, I do try and make the best of the time we all have together even if they drive me up the wall half the time

Good plan to just tell Mr SA on Wednesday SA xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6069.37 - 02/01/18 - 73.80% paid off
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 13th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 6,250 Thanks
    117pauline
    Hi

I didn't realise we are in the same city.

You really do put me to shame with amount you do and what you have to contend with.

I am very up and down this week but I would love to meet up for a coffee some when. I rarely go into the city unless it is to go to hospital.

Is there any way you could have a night away so you get a good rest and feel restored? Otherwise I guess it is the occasional shopping day.

Take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    • 2,947 Posts
    • 17,120 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Wow well done on the weight loss SA, you are putting me to shame . Have a good evening .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £36.76/Loss of Income Fund £0
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 13th Jan 18, 6:12 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 5,621 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Well done on the 3lb loss

Hope DD had a good day x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 13th Jan 18, 6:35 PM
    • 8,512 Posts
    • 48,312 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Great loss, well done you Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 4/60
    Lbs lost 8.5/107.
    Savings for Florida £51.04/£1000
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 31,077 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks all.

Pauline it would be lovely to meet for a coffee, just PM me when you feel up to it. No chance of me getting a night away unless it's for work. The days out are good for me though.

DD did nothing for her birthday. All her friends are now married with kids. That's the trouble at her age. When I was 31 I had 2 kids at school and a mortgage. Mystery man didn't appear by the way, well not up to now anyway.

Have made a mushroom, chickpea and spinach curry tonight with cauli rice and have more or less done a menu plan for next week. Really need to stick to my points as I don't want a gain next week.

Thankfully all the monies start coming in from Monday onwards and all the new budgets kick in. Mr SA is chomping at the bit for a day in town so not sure how much longer I can put him off.

It's been a really drab, dark and dismal day here today.
    Jan NSDs 6 Jan AFDs 8
    April holiday £0/£900
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 13th Jan 18, 7:09 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 8,271 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Late to the party again but happy birthday to your DD! I saw the station fire on the news. It looked frightening.

Well done on the 3lb loss! You’re back in the game!

I’m off to Iceland tomorrow to buy some of the cauli rice!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    Surveys: PA: £15.78/£20; One Poll: £15.40/£40: Opinium: £10.50/£25; Panelbase: £5/£10; You Gov: 1625/5000 points (£50)
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 13th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 2,947 Posts
    • 17,120 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your curry sounds amazing SA, I wish I was coming for dinner .

It's a shame DD didn't celebrate her birthday. DS2 and DS3 have spent their's alone in their rooms for the past few years, but seem much more sociable this year. I hope things improve for her.

It's been raining most of the day here .
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jan 18, 7:52 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,689 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great loss

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Jan 18, 4:49 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 31,077 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    How's it got to Sunday afternoon already? The weekend has just flown by.

Painted Mr SA's bedside drawers today, it took him all week to sand them down! They look ok, not fantastic, but they'll do. Also got Mr SA to do some little jobs that I've been asking him to do for a couple of weeks now, nothing complicated just things like put the stuff back in the shed he got out at Christmas and still not put back. He can't do anything without supervision.

Bit cross with DD as her bedroom is getting messy again. A lot of money has been spent on that room and there were clothes all over, despite the new wardrobe (which is still empty by the way), plus some pots, banana skins and a pizza box. I also asked her to clear her stuff out of the spare room now her bedroom is finished and she didn't do it. She's at work today but was off Friday and Saturday.

Menu plan has been done for the week:

Breakfast will be my usual porridge.

Soup for work lunches is butternut squash, kale, coriander and chilli - one of my favourites.

Snacks will be fruit, WW biscuits and cottage cheese with crispbread.

Dinners:

Today - Mustard glazed salmon with green lentils
    Monday - Moroccan vegetable shepherds pie
    Tuesday - Mediterranean cod with veg
    Wednesday - Veg chilli and cauli rice
    Thursday - Stir fry
    Friday - fish with butternut squash chips and veg

Plan to go in the gym 3 times at lunchtime as well as my usual walk to and from work every day.

Really need to keep it up now - the next mini goal is to lose 3lbs to get back to goal weight - however, not expecting to do it all in one week like this week!

New budgets start tomorrow and I've made a plan for the next four weeks. At the moment "scores on the doors" are:

Emergency fund: £1685.31 - mini goal to have £2,000 in by the end of the month.

Holiday £503.90/£803.90 - going to add to the pot and pay off the balance tomorrow.

VSP: £85.42 - no change from last week but bits will be added to it this coming week.

Save for dining room floor: £0 - but some will be added this week.

Credit card has crept up a bit to £155.72 but will clear this on payday.

MSP not been counted yet but will do so when Mr SA is out of earshot. He's been a bit like Pat Phelan from Corrie today, every time I've tried to do something I don't particularly want him to see he's loomed up behind me. He's not even had his nap today he's been watching war things on TV.

I've broke down my budget into four equal amounts as if I've got a monthly amount I tend to blow a lot in the first couple of weeks thinking I'll pull it back in the last two - I never do so trying a new tactic this time.

Known expenses over the next 4 weeks:
    w/c 15 January: taxis to and from hospital (Mr SA's scan)
    w/c 22 January: nothing yet
    w/c 29 January: nothing yet
    w/c 5 February: hairdressers £30 plus £3 tip, work Lotto £4

Hoping to be able to put some money aside for the dining room floor fund over the next 4 weeks if I'm careful with the budget.

Why does it all look so doable on paper but in reality ......

Oh and today was NSD 3 of January. Didn't do very well last week as kept buying the Mail for the WW recipes. Should do better this week.

Have a great week everyone
    Last edited by Sun Addict; 14-01-2018 at 4:53 PM.
    Jan NSDs 6 Jan AFDs 8
    April holiday £0/£900
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jan 18, 4:56 PM
    • 2,947 Posts
    • 17,120 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Looking very organised there SA
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 14th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,117 Posts
    • 6,118 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Cauliflower rice bought SA , will use it in the week, Wednesday I think on menu plan.

The fire looked very scary , and it appears to be arson doesn’t it?

Your menu looks lovely again . All organised as well with everything.

Weight loss looking good.
    Jan 2018 CC1 £3099 CC2 £258

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 5,002 Posts
    • 31,077 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    £31.05 in MSP

Yes they say the fire was arson Cumbria. Took them forever to do the station up as well, hope it's not too bad, might take a detour tomorrow morning on my way to work and have a nosey.
    Jan NSDs 6 Jan AFDs 8
    April holiday £0/£900
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jan 18, 8:24 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,689 Thanks
    beanielou
    Yoiu are so much more patient than me.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,027Posts Today

8,055Users online

Martin's Twitter