Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 4,725Posts
    • 28,092Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 251
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 8:08 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,846 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh no that is so dire.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 5th Dec 17, 8:57 PM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 28,092 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Yes we had to move all the furniture back again plus DD's. Total nightmare

Have just ordered a new TV from Argos, could've done without the expense but Mr SA watches TV in bed a lot. Thank you cat!

I've cancelled my day off work Thursday as no point if we can't get straight. Can't believe it will be another week. On the plus side Mr SA and DD are putting her room back together on Thursday and I won't have to get involved.
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 9:02 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,846 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blooming cats

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Dec 17, 9:11 PM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 10,446 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    They'll be from Primark or not at all

Now for the bad news - no carpets Fitter rang in sick They can do DD's room tomorrow but the rest will have to wait until next Wednesday. Beyond fed up

Plus the cat knocked the bedroom TV over last night and broke it

Plus our IT systems were down at work all day today, not just locally, it was national Everyone started clearing cupboards and drawers for something to do, filled the bins and upset the cleaner.

And Mr SA still asked me when I'm going to get him the bootee slippers.

I give up!
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Oh no SA what a frustrating day . It never rains but it pours . Naughty cat .

By the way, haven't you bought those bootee slippers yet?
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £181.63
    • milann
    • By milann 6th Dec 17, 1:13 PM
    • 1,414 Posts
    • 6,192 Thanks
    milann
    Oh no to carpet fitters - it will all be lovely though once it's finished - hang n to that thought - at least Mr SA won't be marching muddy feet over it as he'll have his shiny new bootee slippers to wear.....

SA you really must have the patience of a saint
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 6th Dec 17, 2:29 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 3,472 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Bad cat! Hope the cat was ok though?
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 6th Dec 17, 7:48 PM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 28,092 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    The cat was fine redo.

DD's carpet is down and looks fab. Thank goodness I cancelled my day off work tomorrow as DD and Mr SA have got wardrobe and desk building on the agenda - for me work is by far the better option.

The new TV arrived today and is also fab. I thought I'd have to set it up but Mr SA plugged it in and it automatically set itself up. Made me realise how rubbish the old one was really, still could've done without the expense though. I got a £10 off next purchase voucher so this will go towards Mr SA's drill/screwdriver he wants for Christmas.

Went to the gym at lunchtime - so at least today went to the original plan - Sunday's week ahead plan wasn't one of my better predictions!
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 6th Dec 17, 8:06 PM
    • 884 Posts
    • 4,521 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Best laid plans and all that so they say. Things sound like they are coming together but not in the way you imagined !

Is the cat now banished from the bedroom ! It was after all a catastrophe.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 17, 8:14 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,846 Thanks
    beanielou
    Wow, to the new TV

But never mind the gym, have you been bootee shopping

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 6th Dec 17, 8:17 PM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 28,092 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    LOL Cumbria Lass Waste of time banishing the fur babies from anywhere, I'm too soft with them I know. I carefully place the cushions on the sofa and the dog jumps up and kicks them all off!
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 6th Dec 17, 8:20 PM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 28,092 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Crossed posts Beanie - the bootee shopping is Friday He actually hasn't mentioned them today.

And right on cue the dog is now booting all the cushions off the sofa!
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 17, 8:36 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,846 Thanks
    beanielou
    Crossed posts Beanie - the bootee shopping is Friday He actually hasn't mentioned them today.

And right on cue the dog is now booting all the cushions off the sofa!
    You could not make it up

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 6th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 10,446 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Maybe the dog needs some bootees too .

Glad you've got a new tv now .
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £181.63
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 6th Dec 17, 8:50 PM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 28,092 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Forgot to mention the latest pearl of wisdom from Mr SA - he rang me at 11.30 when I was in the work gym. Told him I was in the gym, he said shouldn't you be working. Told him I was on my lunch break, we are allowed them. He said what this early! Bearing in mind I started work at 7am! Reminded him we don't all have the luxury of not getting up until 9am. The cheek of it!
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 17, 8:55 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,846 Thanks
    beanielou
    Forgot to mention the latest pearl of wisdom from Mr SA - he rang me at 11.30 when I was in the work gym. Told him I was in the gym, he said shouldn't you be working. Told him I was on my lunch break, we are allowed them. He said what this early! Bearing in mind I started work at 7am! Reminded him we don't all have the luxury of not getting up until 9am. The cheek of it!

Well he will have to be up early to do all his furniture building.

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 6th Dec 17, 9:03 PM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 28,092 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    On a separate note, I need to paint a cream bedside chest white to save money buying a new one (plus this one is too good quality to scrap). I think it's MDF - is this easy to do and how?

Thanks
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Dec 17, 9:28 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,846 Thanks
    beanielou
    On a separate note, I need to paint a cream bedside chest white to save money buying a new one (plus this one is too good quality to scrap). I think it's MDF - is this easy to do and how?

Thanks
    Not a clue, sorry.

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 6th Dec 17, 10:55 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,710 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I have no advice, I'm very much open the paint, paint it on and hope it looks decent when done. So far so good and I've done the kids drawers and things But don't follow my advice it might go wrong then you'd hate me

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • fay66
    • By fay66 6th Dec 17, 11:00 PM
    • 661 Posts
    • 1,560 Thanks
    fay66
    Sa You tube you tube , i use it for everything lol
    Inland revenue £4500=
    Loan £2610
    Pay day loans - 135+600+300+300
    Credit card 1 - 5186
    CC2 -1038
    CC3 - 548 cc4 234
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 7th Dec 17, 5:45 AM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 22,839 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    https://mortgagefreeinthree.com/2015/08/frugal-chalk-painting-for-furniture/

Elaine is like wonder woman, she doesn't post as much now but loads of people said how easy her way of painting furniture was.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 15 for November
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 01/11/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,498Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin