Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 4,631Posts
    • 26,447Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 241
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Nov 17, 8:04 AM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 26,447 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Happy Saturday

Been up a while, the downside of living across the road from a park is that people start taking their dogs on there from about 5.30 am, even though it's pitch black! All you can hear is the iron gates opening and closing and then my dog barks at every dog that passes our house. Yawn.

Today's plan is to go to WW this morning, do the cleaning, then hairdressers late this afternoon. No visit from grandkids today so should be a quiet one.

I usually buy Mr SA a beer advent calendar but decided not too this year as they are really expensive, working out at around £3 a bottle. However, Iceland are doing them for £39.99, about £30 less than the others, so have ordered one to be delivered tomorrow. Last year I had a wine one from Virgin but I wasn't that impressed with it as there were far too many white wines and I prefer red, didn't think it was worth the money.

Need to make a list of what I've spent out of my Xmas budget so far as I seem to have spent a fair bit.

Have a fab day everyone
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • tunathe cat
    • By tunathe cat 11th Nov 17, 11:53 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    tunathe cat
    Happy Saturday

Been up a while, the downside of living across the road from a park is that people start taking their dogs on there from about 5.30 am, even though it's pitch black! All you can hear is the iron gates opening and closing and then my dog barks at every dog that passes our house. Yawn.

Today's plan is to go to WW this morning, do the cleaning, then hairdressers late this afternoon. No visit from grandkids today so should be a quiet one.

I usually buy Mr SA a beer advent calendar but decided not too this year as they are really expensive, working out at around £3 a bottle. However, Iceland are doing them for £39.99, about £30 less than the others, so have ordered one to be delivered tomorrow. Last year I had a wine one from Virgin but I wasn't that impressed with it as there were far too many white wines and I prefer red, didn't think it was worth the money.

Need to make a list of what I've spent out of my Xmas budget so far as I seem to have spent a fair bit.

Have a fab day everyone
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    I am making my own advent for son in law a jack Daniels one 3 cans for £5 - just waiting to borrow a glue gun as son has took his to uni!!
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Nov 17, 6:59 PM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 26,447 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sounds good Tuna. Not heard from you for a long time, hope you and your OH are well.

Lost 1lb at WW

Won the raffle at WW

In other news, went to Aldi today for some maple syrup for a WW banana bread recipe, came back with everything but.

Found I'd got £10.28 in Quidco to cash out

Hairdresser rang to see if I could make it a bit earlier as he had a cancellation so that suited me fine. My old hairdresser did me a favour by closing down, as this one is 100% better and only a couple of quid more.

DD has just let a bloke in the house. Should I start looking at hats
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 11th Nov 17, 7:17 PM
    • 8,338 Posts
    • 46,669 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    All good stuff apart from the forgotten syrup.

Should we all buy hats? We could have a right good knees up Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in November 2/5
    Lbs lost 14.5/107.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Nov 17, 7:29 PM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 26,447 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I didn't forget it, they didn't have any. They sometimes sell it but not always.

If I get DD off my hands there will be the biggest party ever! She's even been down for some matching glasses!
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Nov 17, 9:03 PM
    • 48,487 Posts
    • 178,356 Thanks
    beanielou
    Blimey. Blimey. Go DD
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 11th Nov 17, 10:02 PM
    • 5,621 Posts
    • 17,938 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    How exciting about the man SA!!! I hope we will all be getting an invite to said party... I mean were all as excited as you after all xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Nov 17, 10:24 PM
    • 48,487 Posts
    • 178,356 Thanks
    beanielou
    **Looks out hat & posh frock!!**

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 11th Nov 17, 10:41 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    The kilt is on stand-by
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Nov 17, 7:49 AM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 26,447 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Ssh he's still here. It's the same bloke as before. The one with the nice car. Get the feeling he's not local as she doesn't seem to see him much. Dying to ask her about him but don't want to put her off, she refers to him as her "friend". Pretty good friend I'd say.

Plenty to do today - painting bedroom skirting board is top of the list, do finances (really need to see where I am with the Xmas spending), make soup for work lunches, finish cleaning up, start decluttering dining room cupboard of doom, take the dog on the park.

Intend to have a NSD too as not doing very well with these this month.

Mr SA's beer advent calendar being delivered today so that will keep him happy looking at it.

Yesterday while I was at rhe hairdressers, he fell asleep. I was only gone an hour as it's literally just a few doors down from our house. When I got back he asked what was for dinner. Told him pizza and salad. He said we had that on Saturday. Pointed out it was still Saturday! He'd lost a day! The joys of living with someone with brain damage!

Hope everyone has a nice relaxing day.
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Nov 17, 10:07 AM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 26,447 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Just come back from taking the dog on the park and the overnight guest has gone.

Speaking of the park, had a bit of an ordeal on there. The dog lost her ball yet again so spent ages looking for it but didn't find it. Then Mr SA completely vanished and he had her lead! So I had to carry her off the park back home, slipping in some mud in the process. A passer by saw me carrying her and asked if everything was alright. Luckily we only live across the road. Got back home and there was Mr SA sat in his chair watching TV with the dog's lead on his scooter

The beer advent calendar has arrived - 24 craft beers with a tasting glass and tasting notes. Well worth £39.99. Reminded him it's not December yet!
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Nov 17, 7:02 PM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 26,447 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Busy day, got the skirting board painted, finally got Mr SA to put up the shaving mirror and clock in the bathroom and we now have a lock on the door!! Didn't declutter the cupboard though Still haven't made my soup but the butternut squash for it is roasting in the oven right now.

Did my finances, really need to be careful with the Xmas fund, have made a list of what I've got to get. Mr SA told me what he wants for Xmas, are you sitting comfortably:

A drill (this is what I thought I was getting him)
    Some after shave (by this he means top of the range like Chanel)
    Lots of new clothes (not from Primark)
    A petrol lawn mower (not a cat in hell's chance!)

So not much really

Tried to explain to him that we have limited funds, we've got a mortgage now, etc.

He'll get a drill- and the aftershave if I can afford it.

Don't all get jealous but tomorrow afternoon I've got my flu jab followed by the dentist. Happy days - I think not
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 12th Nov 17, 8:18 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    at your reaction to Mr SA’s Xmas list! It could’ve been worse though - he could have requested the sort of mower that you actually sit on and drive!

P.S - fingers crossed for DD’s fella! Didn’t you feel the urge to sit him down with coffee and biscuits for a little ‘chat!’
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 12th Nov 17, 8:24 PM
    • 5,328 Posts
    • 26,196 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope your Christmas list for yourself matches

As for DD calling male company 'Friend' Don't we all? I know I do
    DFW £1783.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £571.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Nov 17, 8:49 PM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 26,447 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Friends with benefits Hidden

SSG - I've still only seen him from the back

I do worry about her being left on the shelf. When I was her age I had two kids at school. I know things are different now and people have kids later. Some of you will remember when Mr SA first got ill she was pregnant but had to have a termination due to the medication she was on for epilepsy. Then she split up with the father. I can't believe she's still a worry at 30. 30 going on 15 though!

Anyway got to call it a night soon as must be up early tomorrow in order to start work at 7 so I can finish at 3.
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 12th Nov 17, 8:57 PM
    • 5,621 Posts
    • 17,938 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Ooofffttt Monday for you sounds awful SA!!! Here's to a better one week after next

Had to laugh at Mr SA doing a disappearing act back to his chair and his Christmas list!!! The lawn mower xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Nov 17, 12:48 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 2,758 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I always fancy a ride on lawn mower

Mine has similar aspirations, I get a bit bored of everybody else having big lists and me being the grown up who says No.
    • FerienChatter
    • By FerienChatter 13th Nov 17, 12:57 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    FerienChatter
    Am I the only one who's out of money in the middle of the month and waiting for the next salary? Thanks mom and dad...
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Nov 17, 1:51 PM
    • 48,487 Posts
    • 178,356 Thanks
    beanielou
    Am I the only one who's out of money in the middle of the month and waiting for the next salary? Thanks mom and dad...
    Originally posted by FerienChatter
    Why thanks mum & dad?

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Nov 17, 7:06 PM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 26,447 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I think everyone is more or less out of money halfway through the month!

Flu jab done, dentist done

DD's bedroom has been painted and is looking good

Today has been NSD 4/12 and went to the gym at lunchtime

But (there's always a but in my life) Mr SA has had a bad fall down the stairs and hurt his back and his broken toe Fortunately the painter and his apprentice helped him back up.

Hey ho.
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

805Posts Today

6,551Users online

Martin's Twitter