Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 4,422Posts
    • 24,676Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £656.24
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 231
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Oct 17, 7:27 AM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 24,676 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    LOL - you lot

Last day of hols today

The past two days have been scorching hot, it was meant to be a "more bearable" 26 degrees yesterday but was definitely hotter. Made me laugh them thinking 26 was cooler - it would be a heatwave in the UK

Mr SA has been a pain wanting to buy things. Told him we have a set amount of spending money and it's for spending on enjoying ourselves not for buying things. He got a bag yesterday which is "just what he was looking for". So that's why it's identical to the one he got in Ibiza just a few weeks ago! Now he's sulking because I won't let him buy a pair of canvas shoes that are exactly what he needs for when we come back here next April. I said to him what does he prefer, lunch in a beautiful bar right on the beach or the shoes and having lunch in an indoor hotel dining room. If I give in to the shoes he won't save them for next year, he'll wear them at home, shuffle around the garden in them "to wear them in", get mud on them, then put them in the canvas shoe graveyard cupboard under the stairs!

What I have suggested to him is that he puts a little money away during the next 6 months and change it into euros to spend on what he likes.

I've also pointed out to him that, unless he hasn't noticed, I've only bought a make up bag, which I bought because I forgot to bring one, and a key ring. Total spend €5.

I got quite angry with him last night as he was pointing out cash machines and suggesting I put the meal on the card just so he could buy the damn shoes!

Total waste of money going all inclusive. We have breakfast here - I have half a grapefruit and a bread roll, Mr SA has 2 croissants, we've had lunch here twice, no evening meals and one beer, one wine and two G&Ts that were more T than G. There's nothing wrong with the food, just too many lovely cheap places to eat it would be a shame to miss out.

Anyway off to enjoy the last day, although still dark right now. We fly at 14.30 tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing the dog, have really missed her.
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • Purplebonnie
    • By Purplebonnie 11th Oct 17, 7:53 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    Purplebonnie
    Enjoy your last day, weather sounds lovely. Surrounded by lovely local food is always the highlight of my holiday (I think about my stomach a lot!). Have fun
    September 2017 Total Debt £37188.89 / DFD 01/05/22
    October 2017 Debt £36149.48 / DFD 01/04/22
    Extra Payments : 0.1% = £37.19 Total paid 0.3%
    MBNA - £5350.73

October Food Budget : £200/£114.94 Extra Income £100 /£81.06
    SFD : 8/31 Weight Loss (Goal 8lbs) :
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 47,702 Posts
    • 172,957 Thanks
    beanielou
    Canvas shoes graveyard
    Enjoy the heat
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 11th Oct 17, 5:42 PM
    • 8,228 Posts
    • 45,579 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    That week has gone so fast!

Enjoy your last day.

Try not to kill Mr SA.

Safe journey home Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in October 5/5
    Lbs lost 16/107.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 895 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Canvas shoes graveyard
    Enjoy the heat
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Me as well!

I do think your idea of a Mr SA holiday savings fund is an excellent idea though. It'll keep him happily holiday shopping and take some of the heat off you. Shame you spent extra on the inclusive but at least if you go back you know where all the good places are to eat and drink and can just get a nice apartment or room only hotel.

Hope you had a lovely last day and have a good trip home tomorrow.

🐶 - here's something to keep you company until you see your real dog!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Oct 17, 8:01 AM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 24,676 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks all

SSG I've lost count of how many times we've stayed in this resort. We only went all inclusive because the hotel only does half board and all inclusive and there's not much difference in the price. We couldn't get a villa close to the main strip so we came back to this hotel because we like it as a second choice and it's cheap and cheerful. We're already booked to come back in April, but we have a villa this time. I think a villa is better for us really as Mr SA can watch TV in the air con while I sunbathe.

I felt like crying yesterday afternoon I'm always sad to leave Lanzarote

I'll be fine once I settle back home though, plenty to keep me busy with the decorating and then Christmas. Plus I've got to start saving for the April holiday.

There's a weather warning for a heatwave here next week! It's been hot this week!!

We'll just have time for a final stroll (or scoot in Mr SA's case) before the coach picks us up at 12.

Time to come home and detox
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 24,676 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Home safe and sound, had something to eat, now sitting with my feet up. Dog overjoyed to see us, DD had to bring her outside to meet us out of the taxi. However DD says dog has been naughty while we've been away.

DD has put what looks like the entire contents of her bedroom in the skip

Very annoying thing on the way back to the airport from hotel, the bus driver had to wait ages for some people not there on time. A woman with two elderly women eventually turned up, no apologies for keeping us waiting. Then she had the cheek to shout about the front seats being for disabled people, looking straight at Mr SA!!! I should've said something really but she noticed him being helped out of the bus at the airport so must've realised. Not all disabled people are old or look disabled when they're sitting down - grr, snarl

Feel a bit deflated, more than usual to be honest, will really miss the warm sunshine and the brightness
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Oct 17, 9:53 PM
    • 47,702 Posts
    • 172,957 Thanks
    beanielou
    Some people are just so bleeping nasty
    Sorry that you feel defated.
    Think it is the time of year

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Oct 17, 10:05 PM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 24,676 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    It does annoy me Beanie when people think you have to be old to be disabled.
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Oct 17, 10:08 PM
    • 47,702 Posts
    • 172,957 Thanks
    beanielou
    It does annoy me Beanie when people think you have to be old to be disabled.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Yes,some of the glowers I get when people see me sitting in my car are just awesome
    ( Not that I am that young)

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 12th Oct 17, 10:08 PM
    • 895 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Sorry the daft woman spoilt your homecoming but I'm sure the dog made up for her! What naughty things has he been up to?!

Hope you get over your post-holiday blues quickly - hard I know when you love a place so much and have to leave it before you're ready.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Oct 17, 10:31 PM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 24,676 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    SSG - she did a wee on DD's bed After DD had taken her out too She isn't usually this naughty for us, she just plays DD up for some reason.
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 13th Oct 17, 9:27 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 1,301 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hi SA, sorry your holiday was a little bit soured, but it sounds like overall you had a great time?
    Credit Card Debt: £572.37
    Loan Debt: £6,454.65
    Savings: £170

[B]PAYDBX 2017 - #19 : 57% paid 4715/8280[/
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Oct 17, 11:15 AM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 24,676 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    We had a fab time thanks JWP.

Well back to reality. Second load of washing on, should dry quickly as it's mild, dry and windy.

Took dog on the park this morning, Mr SA took her on his scooter while I followed later. Can't believe he asked me if I'd got her lead - he'd forgotten it! Naturally I assumed he's got it. Luckily the park is only across the road. She enjoyed her run anyway.

Mr M delivery this morning, got another one of those veg boxes, everything looks lovely and fresh. Only spent £30.08 on food, doing quite well with the grocery budget this month, but then I've had a week less to buy for.

Finances done, CC paid. Will need to be careful as funds in the budget pots are running low but nothing planned for the rest of the month apart from lunch with friends which is only a cheap one in Spoons. Some spending on the house will need to be done Put £9.30 in VSP so total is now £656.24.

Need to clean the whole house.

Looking forward to a long soak in the bath tonight.
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Oct 17, 3:29 PM
    • 47,702 Posts
    • 172,957 Thanks
    beanielou
    What are you thinking of spending the VSP on then?

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 24,676 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    That's my Christmas money Beanie - it will pay for everything: presents, food, decorations, meals out, new outfit, etc. Sometimes there's a bit left over to buy something else, like last year I bought a new DAB radio for the bathroom, one year I bought a laptop. It's also DS and DD's birthdays just before and after Christmas (timed them well didn't I?).

Have spent most of the day unpacking, washing/ironing and cleaning. Great that the weather is mild here and forecast to be a lot warmer and sunny for the weekend.

DD has demolished her bedroom - don't ask
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 13th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 8,228 Posts
    • 45,579 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Hope you feel a tiny bit more inflated today .

Welcome home Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in October 5/5
    Lbs lost 16/107.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Oct 17, 4:49 PM
    • 47,702 Posts
    • 172,957 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have too now SA
    DD??
    Last edited by beanielou; 13-10-2017 at 5:39 PM.

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 24,676 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Let's just say her bedroom ceiling will need re-plastering now. Plus Mr SA is going to help her with something tomorrow that is a disaster waiting to happen involving removing coving. 24 hours in A&E anyone!
    October NSD 5/15
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Oct 17, 5:40 PM
    • 47,702 Posts
    • 172,957 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh dear.Oh dear.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

2,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin