Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 4,731Posts
    • 28,141Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £20.70
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 229
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 3rd Oct 17, 5:50 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,141 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Rang the doctors and they sent the repeat to the chemists 26 September. So it's back to the chemist tomorrow. Time to change chemists methinks. It's not the first time this has happened.

Survived drinking the Zoflora water

Budgets:

Food £109.50/£250
    Other spends £76.81/£340.00

Mr M small shop today for pet food and stuff to see DD through the week. Bought a few bits in Iceland and some toiletries from Savers. Mr M delivery booked for day after we get back from holiday.

Will need to draw out some money for taxi, airport and plane spends. Also having manicure/pedicure/eyebrows done tomorrow so other spends budget will be seriously depleted. Got £140.50 left in food budget to last until end of the month which is doable.

Credit card £0 - cleared it again today.

Bank reward went in today so £3 straight to VSP now £646.94.

Feel like I'm more in control this month but then it's only the 3rd ....
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 3rd Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 10,717 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That is always happening to me at our chemist SA because my DH has lots of regular meds. They seem so rushed off their feet that they can't cope.

You're very organised for your holiday
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 3rd Oct 17, 10:17 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Good news that you managed to keep Mr SA away from the paint pot!

Not long now until you're wafted away to the sunshine!

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Oct 17, 7:55 AM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,141 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    One more sleep

The plan for today is have my nails and eyebrows done this morning, clean the whole house then pack the cases.

Must remember to book the taxi for tomorrow and draw out some cash.

Oh and go to the chemist to wrestle Mr SA's meds out of them.

Plus need to take the dog on the park for a good run a couple of times as I suspect DD doesn't do this as much as she should when we're away. Have to time the walks to avoid school run times as she does nothing but bark at kids on scooters. We have schools at both ends of our road so it can get quite busy.

Got loads of washing done over the last few days thanks to dry windy weather so washing basket empty.

Roll on tomorrow - no to do lists for a week
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Oct 17, 1:09 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,141 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Talk about last minute stress!

Piled up Mr SA's scooter with bags destined for charity shop, deposited said bags, then Mr SA spotted two camping chairs for sale. Reminded him we bought some from Mr T a couple of months ago, one still unused in the bag. He has an obsession with these damn chairs!!

Went to have my nails done, reminding him that a parcel was due to be delivered today and to stay home in case it arrived while I was out.

Almost 2 hours later emerged from beauty salon, popped into chemists for the meds. Not ready because "things have gone out of kilter", then they asked whether he still needed his meds. Big sigh! Explained he needed them today, holiday tomorrow, etc. Can you come back in 15 minutes. So decided to have a wander round local shops rather than go back home only to come out again.

There I saw Mr SA outside the charity shop. Hot footed it across the road thinking he was looking at the chairs again. He was about to buy a scruffy hold-all which was "just what he needs for holiday". I bought him a brand new suitcase less than a year ago, paid £65 for it!! After some arguing outside the shop he finally gave up the fight.

Anyway finally got his meds, chemists said they would "try to sort things out but can't promise anything".

Got home to card through the door from postman, yes the parcel Mr SA was meant to be waiting in for!! Luckily the postman was coming back down the road and noticed we were in and came back later.

Mr SA is sulking about the chairs and hold-all.

Still need to clean up and pack cases. Mr SA can't be trusted to pack his case without supervision or he'll forget important things and pack loads of tshirts which he won't wear. So I'll have two cases to pack.

Just roasted some leftover veg to freeze and chopped the rest up for a stir fry tonight. Fridge almost empty now apart from a few bits for DD.

Just keep reminding myself this time tomorrow we should be there.
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 4th Oct 17, 3:33 PM
    • 8,400 Posts
    • 47,237 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    What a stress! Naughty Mr SA on all counts . Glad you got parcel though - our postman is nice like that too.

If I don't 'speak' to you again, happy holidays Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in December 1/5
    Lbs lost 10/107.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,022 Thanks
    beanielou
    Camping chairs
    (Canvas shoes are another if I remember!)

Really hope all comes together and you have a fab fab time in the sun xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,141 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Camping chairs, canvas shoes and bags are his thing Beanie. He's already talking about buying yet another man bag on holiday.

Thanks for the good wishes, I know we'll have a fab time.

So the cases are packed, house is clean and taxi is booked for 6am. You don't want to know about the ordeal of packing Mr SA's case while he laid in bed watching Tipping Point!!! Apparently none of his shorts fit him, he can't find his boxers and he's got no aftershave. All sorted now.

Now the dog is sulking because she's seen the cases.

Mental note,next time we go on holiday, have my nails done in the afternoon and make sure all the cleaning and packing is done in the morning - or the day before!!

Mr SA keeps saying have you packed X, have you packed y and is driving me nuts.

Think of me tomorrow sinking into my seat when the plane takes off and we're finally on our way. I can't wait.
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Oct 17, 8:29 PM
    • 1,173 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    You have a great time SA and top up that tan!

But I must ask you - and please answer truthfully- have you secretly booked Mr SA on another plane to a different destination.......
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Oct 17, 8:33 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,022 Thanks
    beanielou
    You have a great time SA and top up that tan!

But I must ask you - and please answer truthfully- have you secretly booked Mr SA on another plane to a different destination.......
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 4th Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 10,717 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    to all of the above.

Have a lovely relaxing holiday SA
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Oct 17, 8:34 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,141 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Ha ha SSG - I wish Sometimes I think he'd prefer to stay home.
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Oct 17, 8:37 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,022 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not jealous at all

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 4th Oct 17, 9:35 PM
    • 880 Posts
    • 5,122 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Have a lovely time missus
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 4th Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 14,902 Posts
    • 48,047 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Have a fab time SA, I love that you go on holiday XXXX
    Saving all the money.............really I am !
    • amber03
    • By amber03 4th Oct 17, 10:02 PM
    • 798 Posts
    • 4,711 Thanks
    amber03
    Hope you manage to have a relaxing time SA, rest that ankle and hopefully no dramas.xx
    Debtfree and and staying that way.
    £1000 Emergency fund No.112 £310
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    • 49,035 Posts
    • 182,022 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a fab time SA, I love that you go on holiday XXXX
    Originally posted by Buffythedebtslayer
    As do I Buffy, but wish SA would take us with her
    I could share Mr SA's scooter

• missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 5th Oct 17, 6:05 AM
    • 5,748 Posts
    • 19,858 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Have an amazing time Hun. Relax and chill, you deserve it x
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 5th Oct 17, 8:06 AM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 12,751 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Ooh - wonderful to think of you getting on the 'plane just about now, Sun.A - have a fantastic holiday!

ps. Just as well you weren't booked with M0narch - isn't their demise a crying shame..
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 5th Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 28,141 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Quick update while the hotel wifi is working. Fab smooth flight all the way here, not one bump. Flight only 3.5 hours so we were here just in time to catch the hotel lunch. It's very hot, a bit too hot for Mr SA, it's still hot and sunny right now -.time is same as UK for those who've never been here.

We've been to this hotel before, I think this is our 4th time. It's cheap and cheerful, rooms and balconies are huge and it's in a fab location just minutes from the beach and main strip.

Mr SA has got his scooter and because we've rented one several times before from this company he gave us a discount.

Really feels like our second home here - love it
    December 3 NSD
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,112Posts Today

7,023Users online

Martin's Twitter