Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 4,631Posts
    • 26,509Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 223
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 15th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 5,331 Posts
    • 26,256 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Take care & have a lovely weekend
    Originally posted by beanielou
    From me too x
    DFW £1783.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £571.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 15th Sep 17, 8:45 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 4,220 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Flinking Blip missus
    Please be careful eh?

Hope you and yours have a lovely weekend
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 15th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,879 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Whoops! Yes I hope the knee feels ok now. Was it the same leg as your bad ankle?

Have a lovely weekend SA.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Sep 17, 9:07 PM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 26,509 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    It was my good leg SSG Has been ok today, hopefully just a glitch.

Mr SA has been hassling the plasterer for a price, he's doing the quote tonight. Not expecting it to be cheap, there's a lot of work involved.

Spent £6 in Lidl on the way home from work. Anyone else think Lidl is more expensive than Aldi? I reckon it is. Unfortunately our local Aldi isn't on my route home from work, although only about a 20 minute walk away.

Thank goodness it's Friday
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Sep 17, 9:08 PM
    • 48,500 Posts
    • 178,458 Thanks
    beanielou
    Always thought Lidl more expensive than Aldi.
    Though do (sometimes!!) wish Aldi had a bakery
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Sep 17, 9:16 PM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 26,509 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Yes there is that Beanie. Got Mr SA a small freshly baked, still warm, baguette today for just 19p.
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th Sep 17, 8:11 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 7,750 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hi Sun Addict, I've spent about 3 weeks reading your diary from beginning to end and I've finally caught up .

It's been a really entertaining read, sad at times and hilarious at others. I think you're amazing coping with Mr SA, work, decorating etc etc. I don't know how you do it!
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £678/Emergency Fund 2 = £120
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Sep 17, 8:36 PM
    • 48,500 Posts
    • 178,458 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hi Sun Addict, I've spent about 3 weeks reading your diary from beginning to end and I've finally caught up .

It's been a really entertaining read, sad at times and hilarious at others. I think you're amazing coping with Mr SA, work, decorating etc etc. I don't know how you do it!
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor

Echoed as always by me xx

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Sep 17, 3:28 PM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 26,509 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hairy Hand - I'm always impressed by anyone who manages to read all my diary - it spans 4 years and it's been eventful to say the least!

DS and DGKs didn't come yesterday as they were full of cold. DS was meant to be helping Mr SA and I to move the wardrobes out of our room into the spare room to prepare for decorating and new carpet. We managed to move them ourselves, it was a bit hair-raising at times and involved a lot of shouting, but it's done now. Today I stripped all the last little bits of paper off, Mr SA is going to sand down the walls in the week then it should be ready for painting. Not had the quote from the plasterer yet for the hall and DD's room.

Braved the scales at WW yesterday, have put on 1lb, which might not sound like much but I'm now 4lb over goal and have another holiday looming in just over 2 weeks. Really need to crack on.

NSD 8/18 today

Have made a huge pot of veggie stew in my slow cooker for work lunches.

Need to make a meal plan for next week using what's already in my freezer/store cupboard as have already spent too much on groceries this month. Got another one of those veg boxes from Mr M yesterday as last weeks was so good. Only cost me £4.50 with family discount.

Only a 4 day working week next week as am off Wednesday to meet up with some retired colleagues, going on the train which I'm looking forward to. Unfortunately one of them can't make it as her cancer has come back and she's having immunotherapy on that day. She's been really unlucky in that as fast as they clear her of cancer it comes back again (she has malignant melanoma).

Finally worked out how to use my new central heating with the assistance of You Tube. Apparently it only comes on when the house drops below a set temperature. Unknown to me Mr SA had been fiddling with the settings on the water temperature and set it to 50 degrees!!! The water in the taps was almost hot enough to make a coffee! I wish he'd leave things alone.

Hope everyone has had/still having a lovely weekend
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 17th Sep 17, 3:53 PM
    • 8,339 Posts
    • 46,724 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Sounding as busy as ever SA!

Sorry to hear about your poorly friend, but hope the rest of you have a nice time on Wednesday Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in November 2/5
    Lbs lost 14.5/107.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 17th Sep 17, 4:26 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,879 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi SA - glad to hear the wardrobes were moved with only shouting and you not pulverising Mr SA! You did make me laugh though about Mr SA and the water hot enough to make coffee!

I hope you have a great time catching up with your ex- colleagues though my thoughts are with your poor friend.

Re weight - hope you crack it before your holiday. I'm in the same boat and wasn't at all good yesterday and this morning. The soup sounds like a good idea.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

SSG x
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th Sep 17, 4:59 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 7,750 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Your house will look like a palace soon SA, it must be lovely to be able to do all the improvements at last. What a great reward for getting debt free. You must be adding tons of value to it .

Good luck with losing weight, I can never decide if it's harder to be good when you're working or at the weekend
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 48,500 Posts
    • 178,458 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a great week

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Sep 17, 8:32 PM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 26,509 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    There I was relaxing in the bath - face pack on, leftover glass of cava from last night, magazine, candles and the Chill channel on the radio, this is bliss I thought, happy days

Got out of the bath, phone needed charging, plugged it in, not charging, remembered battery has been playing up recently, so looks like it's finally gone. Not happy days after all
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    • 48,500 Posts
    • 178,458 Thanks
    beanielou
    Bah to phone

• amber03
    • By amber03 17th Sep 17, 9:40 PM
    • 785 Posts
    • 4,586 Thanks
    amber03
    its always "one thing after another". I am one of those that a phone is just a phone. I have my DS's old iph@ne 4. One of the girls I work with is deciding when to order the ip@ne 8, tried to talk her out of it cos she only got a new phone last year. I asked her what the difference between the phones were and she didn't know. Hope u get sorted soon.x
    Debtfree and and staying that way.
    £1000 Emergency fund No.112 £106.25

WOMBLER 2017 NO. 5 £7.20
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 17th Sep 17, 10:36 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 7,750 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Oh dear it's one thing after another. Hate it when things stop working. It could be an opportunity to get a nice new phone though maybe?
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 18th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 4,631 Posts
    • 26,509 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I've only got an iPhone 4, although I'd like a more up to date model I'm happy with it and don't really want to fork out for a new phone unless absolutely necessary. Aside from phone calls I mainly use it for listening to music, I do all the other stuff on my iPad or laptop. Had to dig out my old iPod this morning or face walking to work in silence.

The repair shop didn't have a battery in stock but have ordered me one and it should be fixed in the next couple of days. Will cost £32 which is a lot cheaper than a new phone. Mr SA has my work number for emergencies but reminded him that running out of bread/milk is not an emergency.

Mr SA had to go to doctors today for a routine check up. He went on his own so the following information may not be reliable. The doctor wanted him to go to hospital for blood tests but Mr SA refused. He seems to think the tests were for diabetes but the practice nurse does that. His blood pressure is high and his anti depressants dose has been upped as the doctor thought he was very morose. The thing is he always looks glum as his brain damage has left him with an expressionless face.

Booked two extra days holiday from work so I now break up a week on Friday Only 8 more work get ups to go
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 18th Sep 17, 8:44 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 7,750 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Brilliant news that you've got a new battery coming, as you say a lot cheaper than a new phone . iPhones are horrendously expensive! I wonder why the doctor wanted blood tests, hope you find out what went on.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 48,500 Posts
    • 178,458 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on battery.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,298Posts Today

8,946Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Sneaky NAKED photo... ...of the room where many political and regional TV interviews are done. This is before the? https://t.co/fDdeKQOQuU

• The Premium Bond rate is being boosted from 1.15% to 1.4% should you pile in? My analysis... https://t.co/3Q7tjphAFO

• RT @colinjdunn: First #Plevin cheque received this morning - £548.66 from Nationwide & with other claims still outstanding - so thanks @Mar?

• Follow Martin