Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 4,542Posts
    • 26,559Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £671.22
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 220
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Sep 17, 6:59 PM
    • 48,510 Posts
    • 178,514 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good day here too
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 2nd Sep 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    ...and in Seasideville! The full on storm we had last night seems to have cleared the air. Glad you manage to relax with your book SA.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 2nd Sep 17, 9:51 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,358 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Glad Mr SA didn't get hurt or break anything!

The weather has been lovely here too, it makes an amazing difference to the day when its dry
    DFW £1783.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £571.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 3rd Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 4,542 Posts
    • 26,559 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Weather not so good today, grey and dreary but dry all day until about 10 minutes ago.

When my hairdressers closed down a few weeks ago, although I found a new one, I decided to take the opportunity to start colouring my hair myself and save some money. I bought the colour a few weeks ago and finally plucked up the courage to use it today (after doing a patch test 48 hours ago). It looks great, I'm pleased with it. Just did the roots then combed it through the rest of my hair 10 minutes before I rinsed it off. All good

Made Mr SA sort through his trainers/canvas shoes as he was claiming he needed some new ones (even though he got 3 new pairs just 2 weeks ago). 12 pairs in total!!!!!!

First NSD of September today 1/18.

£3 bank loyalty reward money went to VSP -just a few quid short of £600 in there now

Soup made for work lunches. Need to get back on the diet/exercise wagon now. Didn't go to WW yesterday but weighed myself at home - 2lb on from the holiday

Not feeling the love for going back to work tomorrow
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 3rd Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Feeling the same about work too here SA. Three and a half years to retirement and it's really dragging now!

Good idea on the home colouring! Should save quite a few bob that way.

Mr SA is beginning to sound like a fashion conscious rapper what with his trainer collection!

SSG x

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 3rd Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 4,542 Posts
    • 26,559 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Lucky you only 3.5 years to retirement SSG - it's around 10 for me until I can get state pension I have quite a few retired friends who say although I envy them that they're retired, they envy me for my "youth". You can't win!!

I'm apprehensive about work tomorrow as it's the sort of place where things can change a lot in 2 weeks. I could go back and have lost my desk/been replaced/on a different team/in a different building, etc. You're just a bum on a seat. Didn't used to be like that, it's a shame really, I can see it all going pear-shaped at some stage and it will all be down to bad management. Anyway don't get me on that subject.

Had a lovely relaxing bath earlier with candles and Chill radio station (can recommend Chill if you need to relax). Watched Corrie and now X Factor then I'm afraid it will be time to turn in if I'm to get up at 5am

Here we go again - for 4 weeks anyway,then it's Lanzarote time
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Sep 17, 9:19 PM
    • 48,510 Posts
    • 178,514 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope work is not as bad as you think.
    Sounds dire.
    Hair sounds good though.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Sep 17, 9:20 PM
    • 48,510 Posts
    • 178,514 Thanks
    beanielou
    & think only 4 weeks to go til Lanzarote

• JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 4th Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hi SA, I hope you're well.

You've sounded a bit down over the past few posts - I think I've only noticed because I took a bit of a MSE break so am just catching up now. I really hope you enjoy Lanzarote as thoroughly as it's possible to do because you work very hard and you have had to be very strong with Mr SA etc.

Wishing you all good things!!
    Credit Card Debt: £572.37
    Loan Debt: £6,454.65
    Savings: £170

[B]PAYDBX 2017 - #19 : 57% paid 4715/8280[/
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 4th Sep 17, 2:07 PM
    • 5,544 Posts
    • 17,957 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Hope work has been ok SA xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Sep 17, 6:02 PM
    • 48,510 Posts
    • 178,514 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope work not too dire.

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 4th Sep 17, 7:03 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,358 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope work not too dire.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    From me too x
    DFW £1783.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £571.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 4th Sep 17, 8:24 PM
    • 4,542 Posts
    • 26,559 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Work was ok actually and nothing had happened while I was away. Took me 2 hours to plough through my emails.

JWP - I often feel down, didn't realise it came through on my posts. Mainly because of Mr SA, he's such hard work and it's so limiting what I can do with him, we can't just nip anywhere. If it wasn't'for the holidays I would go mad. I get fed up of always being responsible for everything, I get no help from anyone. When we were on holiday, I couldn't help noticing other couples and the men getting in the drinks for their OHs and seeing them chatting. You can't have a conversation with Mr SA, he only wants to talk about hospitals or when he was ill, if I try to talk to him about anything else I just get a daft reply that doesn't make sense. I do miss that side of things, being looked after. It's hard looking after someone with a brain injury.

Anyway I can't do anything about it so moving on ....

Mr SA phoned me st work this morning to say he'd fallen down the stairs and hurt his knee. Then later phoned to say he felt unsafe, unwell and wanted to go to the doctors. Just as I was packing away to go home he rang again to say he was in hospital with pneumonia - he wasn't, he said it was a joke - ha ha not funny

On a lighter note - today was NSD 2/18. I walked to and from work and went in the work gym at lunchtime. Just over 19k steps done
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • missymoo81
    • By missymoo81 4th Sep 17, 8:38 PM
    • 5,737 Posts
    • 19,785 Thanks
    missymoo81
    Hey sun addict I just want to give you a hug my lovely. I've come over as you always post such kind lovely things on HiddenIdentity's thread I thought I'd see how you were getting on, haven't read your whole diary but I will do shortly xx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 48,510 Posts
    • 178,514 Thanks
    beanielou
    Oh dear.
    So not not funny

• Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 4th Sep 17, 9:55 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Chin up SA. I do feel for you......

• JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 5th Sep 17, 11:38 AM
    • 253 Posts
    • 1,315 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Hi SA,

Don't get me wrong I think you have an absolutely incredible positive attitude, and the way you deal with the rubbish hand you've been dealt is frankly inspirational.

I hope you are taking lots of time to do nice things for yourself, and remember any time you need a bit of a rant or even just to talk to someone other than Mr SA we are all ears over here!! You're always really helpful and supportive on my diary, and it is really appreciated!!
    Credit Card Debt: £572.37
    Loan Debt: £6,454.65
    Savings: £170

[B]PAYDBX 2017 - #19 : 57% paid 4715/8280[/
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 5th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 4,542 Posts
    • 26,559 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks folks

Quick update before I go to bed, am shattered. Mr SA has been ok today, no falls or feeling unwell.

Small top up food shop today and paid £4 for my month's Lotto syndicate. Planning another NSD tomorrow.

DD is going to strip the wallpaper off in her bedroom this week so we can make a start on the redecorating. Hoping to get at least her room done by holiday.
    November NSD 5/12
    Weight loss 2/7lbs
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 5th Sep 17, 9:34 PM
    • 8,340 Posts
    • 46,738 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Mr SA needs a smacked bottom! Not funny at all .

Big hugs lovely. I get every word Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in November 2/5
    Lbs lost 14.5/107.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 6th Sep 17, 1:00 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 5,884 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Good to know Mr SA didn't stress you out yesterday. When you have redecorated DD's room will you have finished everything in the house?

SSG x

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

5,077Users online

Martin's Twitter