Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 4,246Posts
    • 23,261Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £612.20
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 213
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 4,246 Posts
    • 23,261 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks Amber. We've had a lot done and ideally we should've moved out but where would 3 adults, a dog and a cat go? No family we could go to. Fortunately this is the biggest job we'll ever have done, the rest will be just decorating thankfully.

Think I'll be cleaning up the dust forever!
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 12th Jul 17, 9:53 PM
    • 4,246 Posts
    • 23,261 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Oops forgot to say I've cashed in £30 Topcashback and had my carers assessment and will get cheque for £200 -made sure I mentioned he ran me over and broke my ankle - social worker was shocked to say the least!
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jul 17, 10:24 PM
    • 47,194 Posts
    • 169,531 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news on 200 quid.
    No wonder social worker was shocked.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 13th Jul 17, 6:37 PM
    • 7,064 Posts
    • 34,179 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Call it a nice round £230 for your troubles

Reckon that's for your 'fun' Fund.. maybe another night away in London???

Hope it's all going well. I may have to hit the wine this eve... absolutely on the floor with tiredness... :/
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    September '17 Savings Rate Goal: 33% [August 33%]
    Declutter 100 items before 30.09.17 35/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for September 02/05 **AFDs 09/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for September 01/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 13th Jul 17, 8:05 PM
    • 8,139 Posts
    • 44,994 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Great news on the £200 and kitchen fitting date.

Not so good on the falls - hope Mr SA and Beanie both ok Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in September- 2/5
    Lbs lost 0/107.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Jul 17, 8:41 PM
    • 4,246 Posts
    • 23,261 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    All the plastering is done now. He's done a great job and will be getting him back to do other rooms as and when.

DD and Mr SA put up her new bed. Wish she'd waited until we'd decorated her room but hey ho. Told her to get on with stripping her room.

DS and family meant to be coming today but had to put them off as weather a bit dull to sit outside and inside our house isn't child (or anyone!) friendly at the moment.

Plumber brought round some floor sample books (his mate is a carpet/floor fitter). Will be choosing bathroom and kitchen flooring, seen some nice ones.

Shower screen problem was sorted easily by adjusting the tilt of the shower, all good now, no problems thankfully.

Dog a bit off today, she went on a food frenzy last night, stealing the cat's food and rummaging through the bin. Unfortunately, everything is at dog height at the moment and she's in seventh heaven!

We have got a painter to do the painting - £85 a day - he'll be doing the kitchen and bathroom, estimate 4 days. Mr SA thinks we can do it but I'd rather pay someone to be honest and get a good job done (especially ceilings).

So pleased there is finally an end in sight to the building works and no launderette this weekend as washer has been temporarily rigged up.
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jul 17, 9:17 PM
    • 47,194 Posts
    • 169,531 Thanks
    beanielou
    All sounding good
    You seem to have been really lucky & got great tradespeople.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Jul 17, 9:40 PM
    • 4,246 Posts
    • 23,261 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Could be that the builder who knows said tradespeople is my friend's hubby. He would never hear the last of it if they were rubbish. Have asked all of them for their cards for future reference.
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Jul 17, 9:45 PM
    • 47,194 Posts
    • 169,531 Thanks
    beanielou
    Could be that the builder who knows said tradespeople is my friend's hubby. He would never hear the last of it if they were rubbish. Have asked all of them for their cards for future reference.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Win win

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 15th Jul 17, 11:19 PM
    • 7,064 Posts
    • 34,179 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Excellent progress SA, really coming together for you
    Declutter 100 items before 30.09.17 35/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for September 02/05 **AFDs 09/15 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £225 so far
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th Jul 17, 2:51 PM
    • 4,246 Posts
    • 23,261 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Fairly quiet day today thank goodness. Went to Aldi this morning for some fresh stuff for the week ahead. Will be making some carrot, kale and coriander soup for work lunches later on. Have a makeshift kitchen at the moment which consists of my washing machine and dishwasher with a worktop on them and one of the builder's table things with an extension lead for cooking purposes. Might have to eat out Wednesday night as the kitchen is being delivered and stored so I doubt there'll be any room at all.

Mr SA has been really tired all weekend and is in bed at the moment. However, he's not been able to have his usual afternoon naps while the buildings works have been ongoing so am hoping that's the reason and not something more sinister.

Speaking of Mr SA, he's being a right pain with the food situation, asking me first thing in the morning what he's having for his dinner!!! I sort of decide during the day but he's used to me posting up a menu plan for the week so he knows where he is. It's to do with his brain injury I know but it's still a pain.

Have done my finances and paid off the credit card, VSP stands at £424.05 and I've opened a new ISA with £50. Will transfer the old one into this as the interest rate is slightly better but nothing great. The plan is to try to get 6 months worth of expenses in here

I need to cancel my British Gas boiler cover as the new boiler is guaranteed for 5 years and the fitter will do a service once a year for £60. Also need to cancel insurance for dishwasher as there is no place for it in my new kitchen - I've got to get a slimline one

Have done loads of washing today as the washer will be out of action again for a few days after Wednesday until the new kitchen goes in.

Bought a new strap from eBay for my Fitbit - ordered it yesterday afternoon and it was delivered (in Amazon packaging!!!?) this lunchtime and is now on my wrist. Seriously impressed!

Now there's an end in sight to the building works, I feel it's time to put my targets back in place re weight loss, exercise, AFDs, NSDs, budgets. Only 5 weeks to holiday and am not beach body ready
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 16th Jul 17, 3:35 PM
    • 5,411 Posts
    • 16,487 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    So glad the end is finally in sight SA, whens the kitchen going to be fitted? Will it be sorted for next weekend?

Hope Mr SA is just tired with not having his usual naps, I do worry about it him when you say he's doing something unusual! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th Jul 17, 7:50 PM
    • 4,246 Posts
    • 23,261 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    This time next week it will be about done hopefully MTG. Mr SA was a bit livelier after his nap thankfully.
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 16th Jul 17, 8:00 PM
    • 591 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Glad Mr SA seems ok. It's possibly very much just down to the change of routine that he cannot get his usual afternoon naps...
    Not long now until it is all done
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 18th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 4,246 Posts
    • 23,261 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    The kitchen is painted and looks fab, went for Cornish Ice Cream colour. You can certainly tell the difference when the painting has been done professionally.

The spotlights are up, all the sockets are done, the outside lights are up and the new consumer unit is done.

The kitchen is being delivered tomorrow and the kitchen fitter and plumber will make a start on it.

Yesterday was an AFD the first in a while. Today was a NSD also the first in a while.

I've joined the on site gym at work, only £60 a year, it's nothing fancy but I'll be able to pop in at lunchtimes and it's a stone's throw away from my desk.
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 18th Jul 17, 9:42 PM
    • 8,139 Posts
    • 44,994 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Glad to hear the kitchen is coming along nicely.

£60 a year for a gym is excellent Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in September- 2/5
    Lbs lost 0/107.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 20th Jul 17, 9:17 PM
    • 4,246 Posts
    • 23,261 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Kitchen really coming on now, should be more or less done by Saturday. New layer of dust courtesy of sawing wood.

Bathroom painted, the aqua colour I chose looks amazing Floor being done next Tuesday, then it should be ready for final bits - towels, blind, etc.

Going to get a quote for plastering DD's room as that's next on the hit list.

Ended up eating out last night as kitchen was just full of boxes but have been able to do a microwave meal tonight. I'm desperate for a stir fry! I think we've done quite well - only 3 pub meals and 1 takeaway.
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 20th Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    • 47,194 Posts
    • 169,531 Thanks
    beanielou
    All sounding good

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 20th Jul 17, 10:19 PM
    • 7,064 Posts
    • 34,179 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Brilliant. Sounds great. Well done on getting through it. Both of you and DD too. You've coped amazingly

Now relax and enjoy....
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 21st Jul 17, 10:15 PM
    • 4,246 Posts
    • 23,261 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking more like a kitchen now Can't believe how fab it will look once finished I'll try to post photos if I can.

Should all be done early next week.

It's now all the bits and bobs.

Looking forward to the weekend but might have to go to launderette as washer is temporarily out of action Plus got to take dog for booster 4 miles away, no transport, no bus route, will have to walk

Busy week at work next week including trip to Reading on Wednesday (note taking). Can you believe there is normally a direct train from where I live to Reading but for one week only this train is cancelled and I'll have to go via London. I will be travelling on my own and have never gone on the underground - yes unbelievable - feel like a right country bumpkin!! However, have got a plan of where to go and have a rough idea of what I'm doing. The things I do for work!
    September NSD 8/18
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,309Posts Today

8,673Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin