Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 3,941Posts
    • 20,526Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £339.72
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 208
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th Jun 17, 9:36 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Survived the long day in the big smoke. Left home at 05.45 finally got home at 19.00. Put Mr SA a beef stew in slow cooker so he still got his dinner at 19.30 as normal. He complained about being left for so long and has claimed he had a fall. Mmm. I'm sure he thought I was on a jolly, it's really annoying this is part of my job, like it or not. Daren't tell him there are rumblings of returning at the end of the month.

Day off tomorrow, hairdressers in the morning, last time before it closes
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 15th Jun 17, 10:33 PM
    • 7,991 Posts
    • 43,978 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Really pleased to hear DD got her room sorted, and that you are safely back home from London Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in June - 2/5
    Florida spending 'pot' - £500/£1000
    Lbs lost - 9
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 15th Jun 17, 10:46 PM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 13,180 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Really pleased to hear DD got her room sorted, and that you are safely back home from London Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    From me too x

DFW £523.71/£7348.71
    Rent Arrears £271.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £121.25 + £70 Cash + £30 Amazon
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th Jun 17, 9:20 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Day off today Very very spendy day - hairdressers this morning for the last time before they close down Mr M delivery, Aldi fresh stuff shop, lunch out, eyebrow wax and tint plus Wilko shop for cheap mugs for builders to use.

This weekend will be all about finishing clearing the kitchen and bathroom ready for Monday.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Jun 17, 8:10 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Kitchen more or less all packed away now. Skip was meant to go Friday or today - still here!! Rang them they reckoned they knew nothing about it, so now going Monday - told them builders skip coming Monday - so annoying.

Sofa has gone thankfully, at least the charity turned up if skip people didn't. We had a right ordeal getting it out of the house, total nightmare.

Fantastic weather today, sat in garden all afternoon. DS brought grandkids, they had a great time playing in sand pit.

Only spent 70p today on local paper.

Tomorrow need to finish last bit of kitchen emptying then do bathroom.

Can't wait for it all to be finished.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 17th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Sounds great, apart from the skip not being picked up when you wanted...
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jun 17, 9:53 PM
    • 46,307 Posts
    • 164,145 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope they dont charge you for an extra day!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 18th Jun 17, 1:34 AM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 12,559 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Hope they don't charge you for an extra day!
    Originally posted by beanielou
    ..Ditto.

Meanwhile, Happy kitchen chaos in a good cause!
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 18th Jun 17, 6:36 AM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    No they won't charge us, we had it on 10 day hire and wanted them to pick up early.

Weather hot and sunny already, can't believe it was light at 3am! Not complaining though. Just a few more bits of clearing then will be outside in that gorgeous sunshine.

Need to look at finances, can't really menu plan as don't know what cooking facilities we'll have from day to day, will have to play it by ear.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 18th Jun 17, 9:53 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    So .... have booked two holidays tonight - one in my beloved Ibiza for my birthday in August the other in October to my second beloved Puerto del Carmen in October - all through Top Cashback of course Two holidays eek!!!!!!

In other news have now cleared kitchen and bathroom, very echo- ey everywhere.

Credit card all paid off until holidays hit it that is.

Red hot today absolutely loved it. Got a fab tan!

Tomorrow it all begins ...... Kitchen and bathroom cleared all ready,here we go!!!
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 19th Jun 17, 2:49 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 5,999 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Holidays and Kitchen - so exciting for you...

Hope all goes well...
    Mrs B Debt £1857 @ 13/06/2017, £1790 16/06/2017
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Jun 17, 6:45 PM
    • 46,307 Posts
    • 164,145 Thanks
    beanielou
    Holidays and Kitchen - so exciting for you...

Hope all goes well...
    Originally posted by Bubblesmum
    From me too

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 19th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 7,991 Posts
    • 43,978 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Whoop whoop Xx

Lbs lost - 9
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 19th Jun 17, 8:12 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Holidays-wise we were planning to go to Ibiza beginning of July until the building works date was set. If I'd been sensible I would've waited until October when we had planned to go to Lanzarote. But dragging my heels over booking that holiday meant all the centrally located reasonably priced villas had gone. So persuaded Mr SA to go back to that hotel we went to before, resulting in a very much cheaper holiday, hence booking the Ibiza one too. Not quite buy one get one free but not far off. I do regret not booking the villa we originally wanted for October even though it would've meant foregoing Ibiza.

The building works started today - OMG the state of the house, layers of dust everywhere. The boiler, airing cupboard and radiators have gone and the only hot water is via the shower. The chimney that ran through the kitchen and bathroom has gone, Mr SA said there was soot everywhere. He's enjoyed having the company and has helped out where he could.

We've had salad tonight although the oven will be there until later this week so might cook tomorrow. Taking it one day at a time.

Boiling hot at work today 34 degrees in office and we have no air con.

After the weekend excesses tonight is an AFD. Need to detox
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 20th Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Mortgage has been approved finally. Phew!

No builder today, finishing another job off. I told Mr SA if the window cleaner came to tell him to come back when the works have finished. So he let him clean all the windows today including the two that are going!!! This means my planned NSD has gone awry and I've wasted £10.

Been note taking in a meeting from 11.30 to 15.30 with no break for lunch. I was starving!!! Ate my lunch then it was time to go home.

Ocado have sent me £45 off next 4 orders plus free delivery pass so have used first voucher of £15 off £50 shop for this week's delivery. They had some good offers but only ordered basic stuff as don't know how much longer will have cooker. Some of their stuff is cheaper than Morrisons and the £15 off beats the 10% staff discount (DD works there).

Walked to and from work today, getting easier on ankle now.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 20th Jun 17, 6:28 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 844 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Great news on the mortgage missus

Boo to the window cleaner mix-up (take it out of Mr SA's Ale allowance ;D )

Rest up tonight, you've deserved it
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 20th Jun 17, 8:17 PM
    • 7,991 Posts
    • 43,978 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Great news on the mortgage missus

Boo to the window cleaner mix-up (take it out of Mr SA's Ale allowance ;D )

Rest up tonight, you've deserved it
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    From me too!! Xx

Lbs lost - 9
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 20th Jun 17, 9:13 PM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 15,047 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Yay to the mortgage and building work starting SA.

Boooo to Mr SA with the window cleaner though xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 21st Jun 17, 5:00 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 5,999 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Yay to the mortgage and building work starting SA.

Boooo to Mr SA with the window cleaner though xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    Echo those words, hope you have not melted too much today.... who is currently doing a rain dance !
    Mrs B Debt £1857 @ 13/06/2017, £1790 16/06/2017
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 21st Jun 17, 5:31 PM
    • 46,307 Posts
    • 164,145 Thanks
    beanielou
    Been raining here too!!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,765Posts Today

8,594Users online

Martin's Twitter