Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 3,941Posts
    • 20,514Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £339.72
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 207
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 10th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,514 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Lender is Nationwide. I thought it would be a drive by valuation so surprised it's a full one. Hope they will take into account work to be done.

DD not doing any clearing of room until Monday!! She annoyed me today as she was playing on computer game all day and couldn't be bothered. Why Monday is the magical day I don't know. She has been warned must be done by Wednesday.

Put half a pound on at WW But won the raffle

Weather here has been dull all day with spots of rain in the wind. Not very summery
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 10th Jun 17, 8:50 PM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 15,046 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Fingers crossed for the valuation and someone with a brain who can see the work is being done etc.

Boo to half a pound but yay to winning the raffle.. every cloud and all that xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 10th Jun 17, 9:04 PM
    • 46,303 Posts
    • 164,112 Thanks
    beanielou
    Three yimes!!!!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 10th Jun 17, 9:50 PM
    • 3,389 Posts
    • 13,110 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Maybe the threat of you using the skip with the contents from her room will give her the kick up the rear to get it done

DFW £523.71/£7348.71
    Rent Arrears £271.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £91.05 + £70 Cash + £25 Amazon
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 10th Jun 17, 11:12 PM
    • 235 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Put the contents of her room into black bin bags and then into the skip...
    She then has until Wednesday to rescue what she needs...
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Jun 17, 7:37 AM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,514 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    She's going to work today but has assured me she will do it by Wednesday as she's got a few days off. Tempted to do as UncannyScot suggests while she's out

Got to sort out life assurance to cover the mortgage today. If anything happened to me Mr SA would never be able to afford the repayments. No point trying to get it for him though, I doubt he'd be accepted and if he did the payments would be sky high. Found a deal on Money Supermarket where you get a £75 gift voucher, got some decent quotes back, not sure whether to just go for life insurance at £11 per month or add critical illness cover to it for £22 per month.

Weather looks quite nice so far today, hope it lasts. Got plenty of jobs to be getting on with today: decluttering, menu plan, sort finances, gardening, finish off the book I'm reading. Was tempted to go into town but don't need to get anything in particular and we'll end up spending money unnecessarily. I think I'll save the eating out for when we don't have a kitchen.

One more week then it all begins. Eek!!!!!
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 11th Jun 17, 11:17 AM
    • 235 Posts
    • 820 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Have a lovely day missus
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 11th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    • 3,389 Posts
    • 13,110 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Have a lovely day x

DFW £523.71/£7348.71

• mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 11th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 15,046 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Happy Sunday SA xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jun 17, 6:58 PM
    • 46,303 Posts
    • 164,112 Thanks
    beanielou
    If I was you I would go for the critical illness

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,514 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I ended up going for the death or terminal illness at £12 a month.

Cleared out some of kitchen. We just have so much stuff it's unbelievable. Got rid of some of it but not throwing things out for the sake of it. We'll have more storage in the new kitchen, it was my stipulation.

Mr SA has just announced he's desperate to be a millionaire What his plan for this is I don't know.

Only spend today was £8.95 for a personalised number plate from eBay for Mr SA's scooter!!!!!

Hope everyone has had a good weekend and is ready for the week ahead
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Jun 17, 8:26 PM
    • 46,303 Posts
    • 164,112 Thanks
    beanielou
    Personalised number plate for scooter!!
    LOve it

• mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 12th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 15,046 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Your DH cracks me up SA, I join him in being desperate to be a millionaire

Hope Monday has been kind to you xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jun 17, 9:04 PM
    • 46,303 Posts
    • 164,112 Thanks
    beanielou
    A few thousand would do me nicely.
    I'm not greedy
    At this moment in time even a thousand would do nicely

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jun 17, 6:55 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,514 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    As fast as we're filling this skip people are emptying it. If I'd known I would've just put the stuff at the end of the drive.

Finally DD has done her room (sort of). Can't really do much else until her room is ready to be decorated to be honest. Think another skip will be on the cards further down the line.

Finding it hard to get Mr SA to part with some of the bits of old wood he's stashed in the garden "in case it comes in handy".

Homeless charity collecting a sofa we don't have room for on Saturday. Will finish off clearing kitchen and bathroom this weekend.

Loving all this decluttering
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,514 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Forgot to add I went to a carer's workshop at work today, it was very useful.

Also today is AFD 2 of the week so far
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 14th Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 5,999 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Caught up, life seems good, and exciting times with the work to be done, hope the mortgage goes through without too much more pain
    Mrs B Debt £1857 @ 13/06/2017, £1790 16/06/2017
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Jun 17, 7:36 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,514 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Another terrible tragedy in London I hope no one on here ihas been affected.

Manic day at work trying to finish up before tomorrow. Ended up going home 1 hour 20 minutes later than should've done. All adds to the flexi though.

Valuer came out today at 9am - apparently he was taking photos of everything including DD's room (cringe). DD was fast asleep and had to get up.

Builder came to measure up, he reckons it will all be done and dusted in 3-4 weeks - hope so. Hope building society get their fingers out or will have to do some serious shuffling with savings and credit card.

Got to get up at 04.30 tomorrow to get 6am bus to get 06.52 train to London
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 3,389 Posts
    • 13,110 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Exciting times ahead!

Boo to 4.30 am

DFW £523.71/£7348.71

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jun 17, 8:17 PM
    • 46,303 Posts
    • 164,112 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all goes well the morra.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,145Posts Today

9,233Users online

Martin's Twitter