Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 3,824Posts
    • 19,782Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of 5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard 1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax 3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Virtual Sealed Pot 262.12
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    May AFD 0/8 NSD 0/8
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 202
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th May 17, 5:56 PM
    • 3,824 Posts
    • 19,782 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Lawnmower arrived this morning, lightweight, Mr SA happy with it, he tested it out but still gave him backache. He gets backache and indigestion a lot so will bring this up when I take him to see GP next week for a medication review.

Had quite a productive day today, got all my summer clothes out, ironed them and hung them in wardrobe. All the thick jumpers got put away. Did a freezer inventory, menu plan and sorted out all my toiletries. Not as relaxing a day as first planned but pleased with what I've done.

Didn't get round to going on treadmill though.

Ankle a lot better today and I'm not shattered anymore.

Looking at the week ahead:

Monday is check up at dentist.
    Tuesday is smear test in the morning then going at attempt to go back to Zumba after work.
    Wednesday is gym day and Mr M top up delivery day.
    Thursday will hopefully be a NSD.
    Friday I'm on half a day at work, meeting some friends for lunch.
    Saturday must go back to WW in the morning then DS and family coming in the afternoon.

Hope everyone has a great week
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    May AFD 0/8 NSD 0/8
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 14th May 17, 6:15 PM
    • 7,940 Posts
    • 43,598 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    I'm shattered just reading about what you've done already today and your plans for next week!!

Take care Xx
    Debts @ LBM 23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 0

NSDs achieved in May - 2/5
    Florida spending 'pot' - 436.00/1000
    Lbs lost - 11.5
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 14th May 17, 8:25 PM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 32,576 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Have a great week xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    May '17 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [Apr 10%]
    Declutter 50 items before 31.05.17 20/50 ** LSDs Target 5 for May 04/05 **AFDs 09/20 ** Sales Target '17 750 80 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for May 04/05
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 15th May 17, 8:44 PM
    • 3,824 Posts
    • 19,782 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Here we are again - Monday.

Dentist went ok, just got the smear to get over and done with tomorrow.

Small spends in Mr S and Savers. AFD number 1 of the week. 16000 steps done.

Must remember to buy something for DGS's 1st birthday as it's next week and they'll be here at the weekend. No idea what to get him, he doesn't need anything.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    May AFD 0/8 NSD 0/8
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 15th May 17, 9:04 PM
    • 7,940 Posts
    • 43,598 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Must remember to buy something for DGS's 1st birthday as it's next week and they'll be here at the weekend. No idea what to get him, he doesn't need anything.
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Do they have a garden? Something like a paddling pool/swing/sand pit/water table?

A tricycle with a handle for pushing him until he's big enough todo it himself?

Bath toys, jigsaws, books?

Token gift and money for his piggy bank?

Xx

Lbs lost - 11.5
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th May 17, 7:03 PM
    • 3,824 Posts
    • 19,782 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks for the ideas Lucky xx If all else fails I'll get him some Next vouchers as they only ever seem to buy clothes from there. Trouble is DS's OH has got such a big family the kids want for nothing, they're very lucky.

Today was a disaster. Turned up at docs for smear 8am, appointments all cancelled because of cyber attack So got to work over an hour later than normal for nothing. After work got my kit together for Zumba - no socks Then got soaked on the way to bus stop going home

To make up for not going to Zumba I went in my home gym for 30 minutes so all not lost.

Mr SA fell out of bed last night, took him ages to get back up and in bed. He's had another fall today, hurt his back and shoulder so he's fed up and "feels like topping himself". Happy Tuesday!!

Had text from builder today, he's going to email me the quote. Daren't look - might need a stiff drink!

Total spends today 4.38 plus another AFD.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    May AFD 0/8 NSD 0/8
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 16th May 17, 7:15 PM
    • 7,940 Posts
    • 43,598 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Sorry you've had such a rubbish day. Hope Mr SA's mood improves Xx

Lbs lost - 11.5
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 16th May 17, 8:01 PM
    • 2,980 Posts
    • 11,117 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Sorry it's been a bad day make sure you take some time to yourself tonight and I hope tomorrow's better x

DFW 328.71/7348.71
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
    Rent Arrears 31.28 /3381.28
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th May 17, 9:46 PM
    • 46,092 Posts
    • 162,820 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy Tuesday indeed!!!!
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 17th May 17, 10:02 AM
    • 2,980 Posts
    • 11,117 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hope today is already going a lot better than yesterday x

DFW 328.71/7348.71
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
    Rent Arrears 31.28 /3381.28
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 17th May 17, 5:01 PM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 32,576 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Hope today is going better and the quote is unexpectedly low
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    May '17 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [Apr 10%]
    Declutter 50 items before 31.05.17 20/50 ** LSDs Target 5 for May 04/05 **AFDs 09/20 ** Sales Target '17 750 80 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for May 04/05
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 18th May 17, 8:20 PM
    • 3,824 Posts
    • 19,782 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    The quote arrived - much better than I thought For all the work (and there is a lot of it) it's 15,560 plus the kitchen price of 5,500, comes to a lot less than the 30k I'd hoped for. Of course this is an estimate, and things like flooring/tiles/other extras will be on top but I'm pleasantly surprised. I've said he can start as soon as he can. So no stiff drink needed

Only downside today is went over on my bad ankle twice so it's now very swollen.

Meeting some retired work friends for lunch tomorrow, looking forward to it, not seen them since I broke my ankle. Taking the afternoon off work. Finally caught up with the extra work generated from the London trip last week.

Bought DGS a toy aeroplane today to wrap up, will get Next voucher tomorrow to add to it.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    May AFD 0/8 NSD 0/8
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 18th May 17, 8:44 PM
    • 7,940 Posts
    • 43,598 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Ouch to fhe ankle - twice .

Good news on the quote and lunch date though Xx

Lbs lost - 11.5
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th May 17, 10:26 PM
    • 46,092 Posts
    • 162,820 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your lunch
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 19th May 17, 4:22 PM
    • 5,064 Posts
    • 14,458 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Yay to the kitchen quote SA! So excited for your getting it sorted and all nice and new.

Hope you enjoyed your afternoon off work doing lunch! xx
    Mummytogirls x

23164.32 - 12/12/10
    8020.30 - 16/04/17 - 65.38% paid off
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 19th May 17, 9:27 PM
    • 3,824 Posts
    • 19,782 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Had a nice lunch with my friends and enjoyed my afternoon off. Picked up a gift voucher from Next for DGS's birthday, then a few bits from Aldi.

Got home to a letter saying my gym is closing First my hairdressers now my gym To be honest both places were always empty so not surprised. Where I work has an on site gym for 60 a year so might join it, would work out at 5 a month so very cheap.

Weekend plans - WW tomorrow, DS and family coming, Sunday relax. Mr SA has persuaded DS to run him to B&Q tomorrow. I'm keeping out of it.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    May AFD 0/8 NSD 0/8
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 20th May 17, 5:20 PM
    • 3,824 Posts
    • 19,782 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Went to WW this morning, knew it wouldn't be good as I've not been for 4 weeks and have been free range most of the time. Put a pound on - this is on top for the 2.5lb holiday gain Really need to knuckle down as if I put on 2lb more I'll be back to paying!

Builder can start work in 5-6 weeks, was hoping it would be sooner but at least this gives us time to pack up the kitchen and bathroom and maybe sneak in a week away somewhere.

I didn't think about who was going to fit the kitchen, assumed it would be the builder, he asked me who I'd got in mind and I thought oops. Luckily he knows a kitchen fitter, so price of this will have to be added to the bill - probably will end up being closer to my estimate of 30k in the end. I'm thinking about upping the remortgage amount so I don't have to worry about extras cropping up and so we can do up our bedroom. Depends on the monthly amount, will need to do some calculations.

So top of list is to renew our passports as ours have just run out.

Looked after DGD and DGS for a bit today while DS and GF took Mr SA to B&Q. Total chaos, although the dog was the worst behaved, jumping all over and licking their faces. DGS kept pulling DGD's hair, she wasn't very well anyway so this upset her. Then he trod on my bad foot which hurt as his shoes were rock hard and heavy, he's like a baby bulldozer. DD was meant to be helping but conveniently disappeared.

Looking forward to putting my feet up tonight.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    May AFD 0/8 NSD 0/8
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 21st May 17, 8:18 AM
    • 7,940 Posts
    • 43,598 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    1lb in 4 weeks of being free range isn't bad at all SA!! I can easily put 4 on in 1 week .

Sorry your foot took a battering again .

Hope you get a more chilled day today Xx

Lbs lost - 11.5
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st May 17, 11:11 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Sun Addict
    Have a lovely day luv
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 21st May 17, 2:11 PM
    • 5,064 Posts
    • 14,458 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Afternoon SA, totally agree with PLMBL that 1lb isn't too bad, draw a line under it and get back on the wagon! You don't want to be paying after all do you?!

DGC sound like they were a handful yesterday! Poor you!! Hope you had a glass of wine to get over it after they'd gone
    Did Mr SA buy anything from B&Q?

Hoping you're having a more chilled day today xx
    Mummytogirls x

23164.32 - 12/12/10
    8020.30 - 16/04/17 - 65.38% paid off
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

8Posts Today

4,161Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Who do you think came out best in the Corbyn v May battle tonight?

• Clever by Paxman; subtly testing out "strong & stable" by focusing on u-turns on Brexit view, social care, self employed tax & election date

• Ps sadly i got in too late to have seen Corbyn, hence why no comment on his performance

• Follow Martin