Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 3,723Posts
    • 19,227Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Virtual Sealed Pot £202.07
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    April AFD 2/8 NSD 0/8
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 198
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 15th Apr 17, 8:44 PM
    • 45,919 Posts
    • 161,498 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hello folks.

Mr SA been fine all day thankfully.

Don't ask about WW - gained 2.5lbs Slightly better than I thought to be honest.

Decluttered wardrobe this afternoon. Total nightmare but done now.

And best event of the day - DD has been getting ready all afternoon, bath, doing her hair, etc. She has just got into a car with a bloke (not a taxi). Nice car, wonder if he's got his own place ......
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th Apr 17, 7:11 AM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 19,227 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    DD didn't come home last night. She took her toothbrush so must've been planned. Nice of her to let me know, I know she's 30 but it's only courtesy. Wonder if he is the Valentine's Day flower sender?

Been up for an hour, dog woke me up licking my face. I've got a hair mask on at the moment and am planning on a relaxing day today. Only got a bit of ironing to do and the bathroom to clean, that's all for housework. Should also be a NSD, the first one of April, not doing too well on that score.

Need to menu plan and get my act together WW-wise to lose that 2.5lbs. Got plenty of time to do that today.

Happy Easter everyone
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    April AFD 2/8 NSD 0/8
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 16th Apr 17, 1:09 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 14,008 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Ooohhhhh wonder where DD has got to SA?! Do you still listen out for her coming in after a night out?

Happy Easter to you and Mr SA xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £8020.30 - 16/04/17 - 65.38% paid off
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th Apr 17, 1:37 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 19,227 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Not so much now MTG, she is 30 after all. She's still not back, she'll be with the mystery man. Mr SA always said that she would've made a good spy as no matter how much you grill her you never get any information from her.

Having a quiet day today it's lovely Mr SA has gone for his siesta.

Still pondering on holidays and what to do. Would be lovely to go to Ibiza in the summer but then we want to go back to Lanzarote this year but rubbish flight times dictate not until October. Then there's the work on the house and if (IF!!) I can secure a builder the work might hopefully be done during the summer and we might need to be around.

Sensibly I think the best option is to get a builder first then see what's what. Going to contact my friend tomorrow to see if her DH is free.

Hope everyone is having a good day
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    April AFD 2/8 NSD 0/8
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 16th Apr 17, 1:59 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 14,008 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    I can't believe DD hasnt told you who this man is! You need to get a better look at him next time SA
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 16th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 19,227 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    She's back now. They were outside in the car for ages before she came in. I was trying really hard not to curtain twitch She snuck back in almost silently. Dying to quiz her but will let her tell me in her own time.

Dare I get my hopes up .....
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    April AFD 2/8 NSD 0/8
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 16th Apr 17, 5:09 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Ha this is so exciting SA!!! Please keep us posted haha
    CC 1 £0.00 / CC 2 £0.00 /
    Overdraft £0 / Loan £7,500
    Savings: £240/£1000

PAYDBX 2017 - #19 : 33% paid 2715/8280
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 16th Apr 17, 5:28 PM
    • 7,876 Posts
    • 43,182 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Oooh, hope all went well with Mr Mystery .

2.5lbs is nothing after a holiday! Well done you Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in April - 4/5
    Florida spending 'pot' - £257.40/£1000
    Lbs lost - 13.5
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 16th Apr 17, 6:25 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 14,008 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Shame the dog didn't need a wee at that exact moment SA!!!! Maybe you should invite him round for tea! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 17th Apr 17, 8:38 AM
    • 6,711 Posts
    • 32,084 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    M2G.....ooh do tell us when you find out SA!!

Have a great day and take it easy if you can...remember less is more when it comes to housework
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    April '17 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [Feb 25%]
    Declutter 50 items before 30.04.17 10/50 ** LSDs Target 5 for April 02/05 **AFDs 15/20 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £80 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for April 02/05
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Apr 17, 9:05 AM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 19,227 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I don't want to put her off so will let her tell me when she's ready. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this one will work out. I've warned Mr SA not to hassle her as he asks daft questions and this is why she's so secretive.

Anyway I've now got my sensible head back on and am getting on with house renovation planning before I book another holiday. I've already been in touch with my friend, her DH is at work today but she's given him my mobile number so he can contact me. Hopefully he can fit it in. Need to see how much and how long work will take realistically before I can book a holiday, if we don't get until later in the year then so be it.

Mr SA has been ok, I think the headaches are just part of the damage done by the tumour and brain haemorrhage. There would've been other signs if something more sinister. After losing my mum to a brain tumour and nearly losing Mr SA to one I'm quite an expert at spotting the signs. If you can remember 4 years ago I suspected one long before the doctors did and he wouldn't be here today if I hadn't persisted.

Not sure what to do today, did very little yesterday and feel I should be doing something today. Got to nip to the local shops for some bread and fruit but that's it. Would quite like to go out for lunch but Mr SA not keen so it would be a waste of money really.

Got another 4 day weekend to come at the end of the month as off on the Friday for Mr SA's birthday then it's bank holiday on the Monday.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    April AFD 2/8 NSD 0/8
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 17th Apr 17, 3:47 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 19,227 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Today has been fairly productive: been to the local Mr T superstore on the bus and got Mr SA some joggers, which he needed, plus got some fruit and veg at reduced price; have helped Mr SA declutter his wardrobe - with him lying on the bed while I held things up for him to decide if he wants to keep, put everything back tidily and have 2 bags of clothes for charity shop and 2 bags of books for the hospital; plus friend's DH is coming to look at building work tomorrow Hopefully he'll be able to do it.

Work packing up sorted for the week, washing dried outside and ironed and am about to go on my cross trainer in a bit.

Think I might try the gym at lunchtimes again, might try the spin class on Friday see how I go. Need to get back into it, I'm starting to lose tone. Don't think I'm up to walking to and from work yet though after last week's shenanigans with the walk to hospital.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    April AFD 2/8 NSD 0/8
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 18th Apr 17, 6:47 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 19,227 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Friend's DH been to measure up. Mr SA asked a couple of daft questions but all ok apart from that. Luckily he knows about Mr SA but when people don't it can be quite embarrassing for me.

Work super busy as usual, the day flew by.

AFD 3/8 tonight, aiming for 3 this week.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    April AFD 2/8 NSD 0/8
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 18th Apr 17, 7:41 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 14,008 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Im glad the guy has been round to measure up SA, can he definitely do the work for you? Fingers crossed he can get on with the job soon.

3 days to go! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 19th Apr 17, 8:23 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 19,227 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I'm proud of myself today. Firstly I gave a short talk at work to a room full of people for the first time ever and secondly I went back to the gym at lunchtime Managed the 85 stairs up and down to the gym (a workout in itself!!) then did 30 minutes on the cross trainer.

Getting back to normal gradually
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    April AFD 2/8 NSD 0/8
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 19th Apr 17, 8:27 PM
    • 7,876 Posts
    • 43,182 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Well done you Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in April - 4/5
    Florida spending 'pot' - £257.40/£1000
    Lbs lost - 13.5
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 45,919 Posts
    • 161,498 Thanks
    beanielou
    All sounding really good
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 20th Apr 17, 2:28 PM
    • 4,979 Posts
    • 14,008 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Well done SA on getting back to the gym, the stairs alone sound like a workout to me!!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 20th Apr 17, 4:57 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 5,530 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Caught up with lots of lovely news, hope it continues
    Mrs B Debt £1876 @ 5/01/2017
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 21st Apr 17, 8:35 PM
    • 3,723 Posts
    • 19,227 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Very busy week at work. Getting to the stage where we'll be booking the hotel and train for the meeting in London so no backing out now. Looking forward to it although it will be very hard work, as everyone keeps reiterating, and still haven't mentioned it to Mr SA, will tell him the day before probably, say I've been drafted in at the last minute.

Today he has had yet another fall and hurt his knee and back

Was planning to go to the gym for a spin class this lunchtime but ended up having to go to a meeting. Probably just as well as ankle/foot has been swollen for 2 days now.

Popped into Aldi on way home from work, spent less than £8.

£12.35 from Top Cash Back gone into VSP.

Kitchen people rang re transfer of account to new builder and they are coming out again next Friday when I'm off for Mr SA's birthday. First thing in the morning thankfully so won't interfere with plans for the day.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 1/5lbs
    April AFD 2/8 NSD 0/8
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,896Posts Today

5,809Users online

Martin's Twitter