Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 3,941Posts
    • 20,526Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Virtual Sealed Pot £339.72
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 194
    • Bubblesmum
    • By Bubblesmum 20th Mar 17, 3:35 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 5,999 Thanks
    Bubblesmum
    Did you ever find out about the mystery admirer then?
    From Nosey Nellie !in Scotland
    Originally posted by beanielou
    another Nosey Nellie in Surrey
    Mrs B Debt £1857 @ 13/06/2017, £1790 16/06/2017
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 20th Mar 17, 8:08 PM
    • 6,847 Posts
    • 32,927 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Agree 200% xx
    Beautifully put bubbles..and seconded beanie
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    June '17 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [May 30%]
    Declutter 50 items before 30.06.17 139/50 ** LSDs Target 5 for June 05/05 **AFDs 12/20 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £110 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for June 02/05
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 20th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 6,847 Posts
    • 32,927 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Just about to start when Breathe Becomes Air!!

I miss my old life too.
    I did not appreciate how lucky I was.
    Its a wonderful book..I loved it (and wept buckets too..)
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    June '17 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [May 30%]
    Declutter 50 items before 30.06.17 139/50 ** LSDs Target 5 for June 05/05 **AFDs 12/20 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £110 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for June 02/05
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 21st Mar 17, 8:11 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Dear Nosey Nellies - no I never found out about DD's secret admirer. He's not very proactive as nothing has happened since. So looks like I don't need to buy a hat after all. Will I ever get rid of her! One positive, she's a live in house and pet sitter when we go on holiday.

Finally heard from the builder today, not looking good, he's just taken on a big barn conversion and doesn't think he'll be able to fit us in He will let me know for sure when he's spoken to the client. Bit disappointed as he seemed alright and Mr SA liked him. Plan B is friend's hubby is a builder and she said contact her if I get let down.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 23rd Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 5,176 Posts
    • 15,051 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Oh booooo to the builder SA, hope he can manage to fit you in but you don't want him rushing your job. Hope all ok with you guys, not long until jolly hollies now xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 25th Mar 17, 7:24 AM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Yes I'm disappointed MTG and a bit miffed he didn't let me know before, he admitted he'd been avoiding contacting me. At least the re-mortgage is all in place now.

It's been a really busy week, I've gone a bit free range with everything, spent too much, not kept an eye on finances, not really been sticking to budgets or counting my WW points.

Another busy day today, Mr M delivery soon, then going to WW, straight on to hairdressers, then DS and family coming this afternoon. Got to crack on and get my cleaning done this morning. Must look at finances this weekend and get back on track.

Watching Shop Well for Less on Thursday, where the man of the household spent a fortune on a car and tools, Mr SA declared "I think I should be spending more money and running up a credit card bill, everyone else does it". The thing is he wasn't joking
    This is what he'd be like if he could get out and about more, he'd be a nightmare, he loves spending.

To be honest he's been really annoying me this week. He does absolutely nothing around the house other than leave crumbs and coffee stains and tread in mud everywhere. As soon as I get in from work he's asking about his dinner. My ankle/foot is still swollen and sore and I'm limited as to what I can do. So when I get home I'm cleaning, ironing, cooking, trying to fit in exercises and anything else that needs to be done. All in a limited amount of time as I need to go to bed at 9pm to be up at 5am. Then he has the cheek to say I don't pay enough attention to him! Moan, moan, moan

Thank goodness only 2 more working days. I am so ready for this holiday.

Hope everyone has a fab weekend - weather forecast sounds good
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • Moneywhizz
    • By Moneywhizz 25th Mar 17, 8:08 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    Moneywhizz
    I read your diary but have never posted. Just can't help saying that it seems that you certainly have a difficult time with Mr SA. He seems to think you are his personal slave. I know he has been ill and is limited in his movement but I am sure there are some small things he could do to help you rather than adding to your workload. He comes across as very selfish and demanding and maybe it's time to change the way things are done around your house. You need to take care of yourself and have some time to relax. Hope you have a great holiday.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 25th Mar 17, 11:41 AM
    • 5,176 Posts
    • 15,051 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Morning SA,

Sounds like you've got a busy day ahead. Your bit about going free range really struck a chord with me... I've never realised but when I'm off on one with the money spending my calorie counting goes out the window!!!

Men are such attention seekers aren't they!! My DH is the same, he reckons I don't pay him enough attention... rolls eyes ha xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 25th Mar 17, 4:55 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks both.

Moneywhizz you are right, he's become very selfish since his illness. I think he became used to having all the attention focused on him. I asked him if he would do odd housework jobs, nothing too taxing, that would help me out but he refused saying he wants to do men's jobs not women's - which is very sexist I think.

Despite going free range with spending and WW points, have lost half a pound and after plucking up the courage to look at CC balance, it wasn't as bad as I thought and I've now cleared it.

Every time we go on holiday I always end up buying last minute stuff I don't really need so maybe it's time to factor in a pre holiday spend budget. For instance on Monday I spent £40 on trousers and top to travel in. I always buy a new outfit to travel in, I don't know why, it's not like we'll get upgraded to First Class on a Thomas Cook flight is it. However I do need some new work trousers so they will come in after the holiday.

Hair is done, cut and colour £50 which I think is very reasonable. DS and family were there when I got home, grandkids had decimated the house, so waste of time cleaning up this morning. It was chaos, the dog stole both of the baby's gingerbread men and there was soil from a plant all over the floor. DS bought me his usual bottle of Blossom Hill wine for Mother's Day - this is a standing joke in our family, he has bought me this every year since he was old enough to buy alcohol. He said he'd gone for white this year as a change from red. He had also bought a low alcohol one! Asked him what he was trying to say!
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 25th Mar 17, 9:22 PM
    • 7,991 Posts
    • 43,978 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Sorry to hear Mr SA is being awkward/annoying. Mr Lucky does the washing up and hoovering whenever possible, says it helps him feel less useless. Perhaps you could convince Mr SA to see it that way??

Enjoy your wine Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in June - 2/5
    Florida spending 'pot' - £500/£1000
    Lbs lost - 9
    • JWPopps
    • By JWPopps 26th Mar 17, 7:36 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 983 Thanks
    JWPopps
    Oh gosh, SA, you've had a right old time recently!

I'm so sorry things can be difficult with Mr SA... I've never lived with my partner (in fact I actively avoid the possibility of living with my boyfriends!) but I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to cope with someone expecting me to run around after them when I'd already been at work all day. I can't abide those sexist attitudes of what is 'women's work' and what is 'men's work' - if you both live in the house then it is both of your responsibility! Maybe it would be different if you weren't working a different job all day as well.

I really hope you have a fabulous holiday, you work very hard and you have been a total trooper about your ankle so you deserve it!!!
    Credit Card Debt: £984.02
    Loan Debt: £7,069.90
    Savings: £21.90

[B]PAYDBX 2017 - #19 : 41% paid 3445/8280[/
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th Mar 17, 7:49 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Have had a nice relaxing day today and a bonus NSD which will be the last one of March. Lovely sunny day so sat in the garden and Mr SA and I drank the low alcohol wine which was quite nice actually. DD bought me a bottle of prosecco which I'm saving for Tuesday when I break up from work.

Bought one of those water measuring bottles from WW yesterday it's fab but I am going to the loo like nobody's business! Drinking loads more water though which is good.

Don't even have that Smonday feeling tonight, just two working days to go. Wanted to finish early Tuesday but have been drafted in last minute to take minutes of a meeting so will have to write them up before I finish. Hey ho.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 27th Mar 17, 7:42 PM
    • 7,991 Posts
    • 43,978 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Hope tomorrow goes quickly for you so you can get on with your holiday asap Xx

Lbs lost - 9
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 29th Mar 17, 4:11 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hello all!

More or less all packed up and ready to go now. Had my nails done this morning, taxi for tomorrow is booked for 4.30am and alarm clock is set for 3am

Mr SA seems to think we only need to get up half an hour before the taxi comes

Mr SA being really boring by not wanting to go for lunch at our local like we usually do the day before holiday.

Finances done, CC paid up to date, grocery budget ok, spending budget not so ok. Will be on target with grocery budget but will have an overspend on spending budget. Despite me thinking I don't save anything so far this month I've added £40 to my ISA and just over £40 to my VSP plus £50 standing order will go out on payday to my regular saver account.

Still not heard from the builder but there's a builder working down our road who happens to be an old school friend of DS. Mr SA had a word with him today and he said he would come and have a look at what we want doing.

I am so ready for this holiday. The weather forecast for Lanzarote is 25 degrees and sunny every day for the week we're there.

We have Wi-Fi in the villa so will post and let everyone know how we're getting on.

Let the holiday begin
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • *Robin*
    • By *Robin* 29th Mar 17, 4:38 PM
    • 3,183 Posts
    • 12,559 Thanks
    *Robin*
    Now I can wish you happy holiday!
    Hope you have an amazing time, and the weather lives up to expectations.

ps. Love your comment up-thread about "free-range spending" - can so relate to that idea.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 29th Mar 17, 4:38 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Forgot to add - on Friday it will be 4 years since Mr SA came home from work having seizures and that terrible Easter weekend of seizure after seizure that will be etched on my mind forever. If anyone had said to me then that in 4 years time he'll still be here and you'll be in Lanzarote I wouldn't have believed them.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 29th Mar 17, 8:04 PM
    • 7,991 Posts
    • 43,978 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Have an amazing time, looking forward to hearing all about it.

4 years eh?! . Xx

Lbs lost - 9
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th Mar 17, 9:25 PM
    • 46,309 Posts
    • 164,155 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a fantastic time SA.
    As you say who would have thought.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 30th Mar 17, 8:00 AM
    • 4,441 Posts
    • 12,712 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Enjiy your holiday!
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 31st Mar 17, 7:59 AM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 20,526 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hello from a hot and sunny Lanzarote. The villa is fabulous, loads of rooms and space, I keep getting lost. Definitely the best Villa Plus villa we've had. Location is literally a few steps away from the main strip and beach.

Ankle swelled on the flight so was struggling to walk. Mr SA worn out as we had no wheelchair assistance at the airport and it was a long walk to the taxi stand. Sat with my feet in the pool most of the afternoon which was very soothing.

Mr SA is pleased to discover the villa TV has BBC and ITV and is now hoping to find the Dave channel.

We were just leaving the restaurant last night, I went on ahead, only to be shouted back by the waiter, There was Mr SA sat on a chair sipping water having walked straight into a door! People were fussing round - asking has he had too much to drink, too much sun, etc. Had to explain very long day, brain injury, etc. This is why we don't go out at night at home. Because he staggers about and his speech is slurred people always think he's drunk.

Anyway he's fine now, although still fast asleep.

Today's plan is just to relax in the sun, no trekking about.
    Weight loss 0/7lbs
    June AFD 1/12 NSD 2/8
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,299Posts Today

9,128Users online

Martin's Twitter