Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 3,289Posts
    • 16,539Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Virtual Sealed Pot £295.11
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 165
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 17th Oct 16, 9:10 PM
    • 3,623 Posts
    • 18,131 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    When relative lived with us he got us an Actifry, it's fab, I agree they are pricey.

DH managed to set light to our first one!! Relative brought a 2nd one and DH is not allowed to touch it!!

I like the fact there is no fatty smell hanging about although our one is a nightmare to clean.

I love chips done in it!!
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 23 for December
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 1/12/16)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Oct 16, 10:06 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 2,494 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    DH managed to set light to our first one!! Relative brought a 2nd one and DH is not allowed to touch it!!
    Originally posted by Eager_Elephant
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Scrimpy Goal - Emergency Fund - £10,000
    Currently: £6027.22 (25/11/2016)

My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"

NST: December 2016- NSDs: 2/15
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 19th Oct 16, 8:04 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 16,539 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Not too pricey - £79. I'm hoping it will come in useful until we get new kitchen (and oven). If you remember I've been struggling with just small oven since big oven conked out in July. It's a Breville health fryer and is really easy to clean.

Another alcohol free day yesterday, have actually slept ok as Mr SA not been snoring too much. Wine tonight although bought with M&S voucher so a NSD

Zumba yesterday and circuit training today, back to WW tomorrow.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Oct 16, 9:46 PM
    • 44,888 Posts
    • 155,585 Thanks
    beanielou
    Beyond my budget sadly
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 20th Oct 16, 12:41 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 2,494 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hope you had a decent night's sleep last night as Mr SA is being more quiet and you had a decent tranquilizer by way of the wine!

• brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 20th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 6,301 Posts
    • 30,006 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Sleeps so important to ones coping ability..hope you get a decent run of sleeps soon
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    New debt: £10,000 0% ;
    Declutter 50 items before 31.12.16 xx/50 ** LSDs Target 10 for December 02/10 **AFDs 03/17
    **NSDs Target 6 for December 01/6
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 22nd Oct 16, 9:04 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 16,539 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    It never ends with Mr SA - met DS and grandkids on local park today, had a lovely time, but on the way home Mr SA's scooter ran out of battery power despite being fully charged. So his latest thing is the scooter isn't powerful enough for him and he wants a better one and doesn't care how much it costs.

Aside from that - put half a pound on at WW on Thursday Have changed my goal weight as current goal is from 15 years ago. So now only 2.5lbs over goal. Went to spinning yesterday then left work early to have a mooch around town. Great bargain from Waitrose- curry deal on £10 for 2 mains, 2 sides and rice. Didn't come up as deal at self checkout. Queried it, took them ages to sort, ended up paying £4.49 for the lot - goodwill gesture

Had a one to one with manager yesterday, really good feedback, she said I do much more than anyone else at my grade and am in line for promotion. Only one week left of contract then transfer over I'll give it a few weeks to settle in then start trying for promotion.

Hope everyone having a good weekend xx
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 22nd Oct 16, 9:54 PM
    • 7,624 Posts
    • 41,429 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    All good stuff apart from Mr SA wanting another scooter .

Fingers crossed for promotion and hope curry was nice Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in December - 0/5
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 22nd Oct 16, 9:58 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 2,494 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Wonderful news about the feedback at work!

Re weight - my ideal weight has gone up about 2 stone from when I was a skinny teenager! ( I'm tall!). If I was teenage weight now I would look about 100 years old! It's a good idea to re- adjust your ideal weight as you get older.

Do you think you can talk Mr SA out of his scooter idea?

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 23rd Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 44,888 Posts
    • 155,585 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news at work.

Eek to scooter.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 23rd Oct 16, 8:58 AM
    • 6,301 Posts
    • 30,006 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Yes, any chance of talking him out of it? He does get ideas and then doesn't let them go, doesn't he? Was he always like this, or is it since the illness?

Any news on carers during the day?

So pleased re the feedback..that's so good. And am sure well deserved. Job security and promotion Everything to play for
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    New debt: £10,000 0% ;
    Declutter 50 items before 31.12.16 xx/50 ** LSDs Target 10 for December 02/10 **AFDs 03/17
    **NSDs Target 6 for December 01/6
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 24th Oct 16, 8:14 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 16,539 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hello folks

No need to try to talk Mr SA out of scooter upgrade, he's already asked and he's tied to the Motability contract for 3 years so has to stick with it Brizzle he's always been like this although has got a lot worse since he got ill. If he did the finances we would be bankrupt by now! The scooter is now in for repair and he's got a courtesy scooter.

Re carers - he won't entertain the idea at the moment.

Yesterday got ready to take dog out, Mr SA couldn't find his scooter key. Spent 20 minutes looking for it, dog was barking and getting impatient, turned up in his dressing gown pocket. When we got back home he announced he couldn't find his wallet, said he'd put it in his coat pocket. Lots of searching and panicking later it turned up in his trouser pocket!!!'

Aside from that toner cartridge ran out on printer and my Fitbit has died Was going to treat myself to a new one from VSP at Christmas, might have to bring it forward, am lost without it.

Been to dentist today for temporary crown replacement fitting. Mouth still numb, can't drink properly. Going back in 3 weeks for permanent crown. Dentist is private but I've got Denplan so will only cost me lab fees. Dentist said pay on your next appointment fee is only £70 - ONLY!!!!

Went to gym at lunchtime for treadmill run, no classes today.

And last but not least today has been a NSD.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 24th Oct 16, 8:27 PM
    • 7,624 Posts
    • 41,429 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Only £70 .

Mr Lucky is exactly the same as Mr SA. Launches from wanting one thing to the next . He also loses things/forgets where he's put them ALL THE TIME!!!

Boo to fitbit, definitely get yourself another one, you deserve it Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in December - 0/5
    • Debsnewbudget
    • By Debsnewbudget 24th Oct 16, 10:12 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 1,891 Thanks
    Debsnewbudget
    When my fitbit died I went onto live chat and they could tell how long I had had it -15 months and the fact that t wasnt charging and offered to replace it free of charge
    4 days later new one arrived through the post
    Excellent customer service
    Might be worth going onto live chat with them
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 25th Oct 16, 2:19 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 2,494 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Boo to fitbit, definitely get yourself another one, you deserve it Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky

Second that!

• mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 25th Oct 16, 3:39 PM
    • 4,553 Posts
    • 11,883 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Only £70 for the dentist fees
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £9104.15 - 15/11/16 - 60.70% paid off
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th Oct 16, 8:40 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 16,539 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Fitbit is over 2 years old. Was going to replace it anyway for one that shows the time. Although might be worth going on live chat and see if they offer me anything off new one.

Mr SA had another fall today. He's still recovering from his last fall. His ribs are really hurting him and he's short of breath. He's getting fed up of the falls. He went to bed at 8pm tonight as he's exhausted.

Zumba yesterday and circuits today. Spent loads in Mr S yesterday on 25% off Tu. Got DD dressing gown and slippers for Xmas, Mr SA some slippers and 3 tops, trousers, scarf and gloves for me. By contrast today has been a NSD. Thankfully this week is the week all monies come in - Mr SA's PIP and ESA, DD's board, then I get paid Monday.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Oct 16, 8:59 PM
    • 44,888 Posts
    • 155,585 Thanks
    beanielou
    Poor Mr SA.
    I feel his pain.
    That is the problem with lots of falling

• Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th Oct 16, 9:03 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 16,539 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks Beanie, I know it's the same for you xx

Forgot to add - can anyone recommend where to buy a good doll's house for DGD for Xmas? Preferably a ready assembled one.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 27th Oct 16, 11:08 PM
    • 499 Posts
    • 2,494 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Sue Ryder charity shops sell them - my friend bought one a couple of year's ago for her DGD and its lovely. They sell all the furniture too (I think they're all ready assembled). They also have an online shop that you can order from if you haven't got a shop near you.

Hope Mr SA is feeling better.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

237Posts Today

2,274Users online

Martin's Twitter