Looking for the silver lining

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,030
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks all

I tried the 3 months WW online and ended up losing nothing. When I went to meetings it was the shame of putting on weight that kept me on the straight and narrow. That and the support of the leader and other members. Used to enjoy it.

I've managed to come up with a proper budget plan for finances which is easy to follow and will start when I get paid next Thursday. I'm still on track to have paid off the card by Christmas. Just need to stick to a budget spending wise. I guess it's like sticking to a diet, sometimes you just blow it. It's getting into the habit of tracking everything I spend/eat/drink. I start off ok then I get busy and forget what I'm doing.

Mr SA went out with his carer yesterday and spent £18 in a garden centre on fish for the pond. Sigh! What annoys me is that all he does is go out and spend/drink coffee/go to the pub with his carer and he does absolutely nothing around the house/garden. There isn't a lot he can do due to mobility/balance issues but he could do the odd thing. Last night when I got home he hadn't even got the washing in. I asked him what he'd done all day and he pointed to the fish. After all that happened last year I don't begrudge him his coffees etc but I get cross when I've done a full day at work come home and have to start again doing the housework, ironing, tidying up, gardening, etc. Then I have to spend the weekend catching up and Mr SA's bored and wants to go for coffee or to the pub. I end up giving in to him because he sulks. His OT suggested I fill in a list of things for him to do. I tried this and he "forgets" to look at it. I put the odd thing on his white board but what he does is wait until I get home from work and then starts doing the task.

Sorry about the moaning but had to get it off my chest!
    Christmas Savings 2024 £218.29/£600 March NSD:3 March Surveys £
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,641
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Much better to get it off your chest than keep it in so please do not apologise.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Much better to get it off your chest than keep it in so please do not apologise.

Ditto from me. You need to do it to keep sane Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I would be getting his carer on board with this one. Encouraging him to do a chore or two before they get the treat time do remember that in some ways re training is needed for OH. Take control of the carer before it gets to a stand off.

You have every right to be frustrated xxxx
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
  • Sun_Addict
    Forumite
    Glad you didn't think I was just whingeing! :)

I made use of the pair of them today and sent them to the vets with the dog for her booster (more expense but has to be done). Also have got them putting together the table and chairs that arrived yesterday from British Heart Foundation (which looks really good so far by the way). Mr SA is also taking delivery of my Mr M order this afternoon.

On the losing weight front, have downloaded some WW 7 day menus from their website. Will have a look at these and come up with a suitable menu plan for me - a bit of a mixture as I don't eat meat but eat some fish so the normal one is not quite right and the vegi one has a lot of eggs on it (which I hate).

Budget-wise Mr SA got his fortnightly ESA today and have sent the £6.20 oddment to my VSP, £10 has gone towards his mobile phone and the rest is for groceries, etc. Mr M order today should be just under £60 after staff discount. They are doing the summer £15 off promotion online now so should get this after 4 shops which will come in handy. Payday next week and something will get paid off debt then.

Only trouble with the new table and chairs is that I now need some chair cushions and new placemats. It's never ending.
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    You have all our support xxxx

But seriously don't let the carer away with stuff he/she is in your employ in your home (even if you don't pay for it directly).

Carer is there to assist the client and the wider family not make more work or stress.

Xx
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
  • Sun_Addict
    Forumite
    Thank you Mint.

Have signed up for WW online again. Top Cash Back were doing the £30 cashback thing again so decided to give it another go for the princely sum of minus 5p! Started the plan today and am determined I will do it. It's for 12 weeks and I need to lose 11lbs so aiming for a steady 1lb per week.

Just had a call from Mr SA and he and the carer are in B&Q again. This time he's buying a perspex roof panel to replace the one on our covered seating area outside which blew off in the wind over a year ago. We've been needing this fixing for over a year so can justify the cost but it seems like he's always spending on something or other. I need to have a word with him that he needs to stop now or I won't be able to keep up with it. Who is actually going to fit this roofing panel is another matter. Hopefully DS if he comes round at the weekend. Just hope Mr SA doesn't try and do it - I can hear the ambulance sirens in my head already!

I've got £38 cash in my purse and this MUST last until next Wednesday. Mr SA take note!
  • Chardonnay
    Chardonnay Posts: 766
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Good luck with the WW online SA!

I've done it a few times before and not managed to stick to it but I did last time and realised it really is effective if you actually stick to your points (which I haven't actually managed to do in the past!) :o I think a lot of it is in your mindset. If you are really determined, you will do it. I started again on Monday, just with the goal to lose half a stone for my stepdaughter's wedding in just over 3 weeks time.

Hope the talk with Mr SA goes well - it does sound like it's much needed!

Have a lovely weekend SA! :)
  • Sun_Addict
    Forumite
    Thanks Chardonnay - it's the having to track wine that adds up, already gone into the extra 49 points weekly allowance on day 2. But only a weekend problem thankfully :)

Now only got £23 to last until Wednesday. Today paid new window cleaner and bought a few groceries. Windows haven't been cleaned for daren't think about how long so was pleased when a window cleaner put his card through the door. Of course Mr SA said he'd clean them when he's able to, bearing in mind when he was well he said he'd clean them and never did. Sometimes you have to pay when you want things done. He charged £10 but spent almost an hour on them, cleaned all the frames, sills and doors and I can now see out of them (just need to clean the inside ones now!).

Will be seeing granddaughter tomorrow as DS is coming to fix the Perspex roof panels. Mr SA thought he could do it and tried to get up a stepladder, nearly giving me a heart attack in the process, then went dizzy and fell over. No harm done thankfully but he now realises he can't do it so is a bit down about it, feels useless he says.

Hoping I can persuade him we don't need to go into town this weekend, maybe could stretch to a coffee at a push but would prefer to stay at home, take dog on park and get things done around the house. Watch this space!
  • :eek: to Mr SA going up ladders!!

:D to more snuggles with DGD.

Have a lovely weekend Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income