Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    • 3,247Posts
    • 16,328Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Looking for the silver lining
    • 8th Mar 13, 8:30 AM
    Looking for the silver lining 8th Mar 13 at 8:30 AM
    Well I'm back! After clearing my debt in 2010 and staying debt free for a couple of years I'm now back to square one. Mainly due to OH's work being so erratic (he is a sub contractor in the building trade). He has weeks at a time with no work and when he does get work the pays not great - but anything is better than nothing. My wages cover the bills and food thankfully but nothing else.

Anyway a combination of OH not bringing much in and not budgeting properly has led to me building up credit card debt again (thankfully at 0%) of £5368.95

I have realised that the only way to stay on top of things is to stick to a budget. What we were doing before is spending the money before we had it on a credit card and then clearing it at the end of the month. But OH can be at work one day and laid off the next so we didn't always have the money to cover what we'd spent and this is where we have been going wrong and how the debt has built up again by me having to transfer it to a 0% card.

What's happening now is I'm trying to stay on top of things by having a "pot" of money in my monthly budget and sticking to that. Once I have cracked this then it should be easy to stay out of debt when it's paid off.

At the end of the month whatever OH has earned is split as follows:

50% is for petrol, OH's work expenses/mobile phone, and anything else we need that month

25% is for holidays (I know we shouldn't be having holidays whilst in debt but they keep us smiling through the uncertainty)

25% is for paying off the debt and when this is paid off this will become savings.

So far I've stuck to this for two months. It's hard at times but this is the only way to do it. Should OH not bring anything in one month then I'm afraid we'll have to dip into what little savings we have in our emergency fund. BUT NO MORE ADDING TO THE DEBT!!!

Currently the debt is split between two cards:

Barclaycard £1800 0% until September 2013 -so this must be paid off first

Halifax £3568.95 0% until 2015 - so a bit more breathing space on this one but still want it paid off asap.

I'm doing the grocery challenge and the virtual sealed pot and doing well with this. The VSP will pay for Christmas.

Decided to do a new diary as it helped so much last time - so here I go again on my second debt-free journey. Determined this will be the last time.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Virtual Sealed Pot £295.11
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    Mr SA finally in remission December 2013
Page 163
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 25th Sep 16, 8:58 AM
    • 6,278 Posts
    • 29,921 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Have a brilliant hols SA...

Xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    New debt: £10,000 0% ;
    Declutter 50 items before 31.12.16 xx/50 ** LSDs Target 10 for December xx/10 **AFDs xx/17
    **NSDs Target 6 for December xx/6
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 26th Sep 16, 8:05 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 11,826 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Evening SA, I'm soooo jealous of you jetting off on Thursday!!! Have a great time.

DGD sounds very independent, just like my girls at her age! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £9104.15 - 15/11/16 - 60.70% paid off
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 26th Sep 16, 8:11 PM
    • 14,777 Posts
    • 47,178 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Enjoy your holiday XXXXXXX
    Saving all the money.............really I am !
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 26th Sep 16, 8:43 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Only one more work day

Suitcases already packed. Summer clothes put away, Autumn/winter clothes back out in readiness from return from holiday.

Mr SA got his next scan date through - 28 November.

So ready for a break.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 26th Sep 16, 8:45 PM
    • 44,821 Posts
    • 155,233 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy holidays SA xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 28th Sep 16, 3:51 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hello all

More or less ready now - house cleaned, dog walked, cases packed, nails done, updated online grocery shop ready for when we get back.

Not payday until Friday and had to pay off the CC 2 days early as will be away when payment due. Had to lend myself £140 from VSP until we get back home. It's brought to my attention though that I'm letting this slip again - I used to pay off the CC at the end of every week and now I'm not clearing it until payday. Need to address this after the holiday and get back ahead of myself.

After I had my nails done we went to the local "Spoons" for a cheap and cheerful pre-holiday lunch. I can't believe how busy it was for a Wednesday lunchtime. So this is what everyone gets up to while I'm at work!

Taxi booked for 6am tomorrow, more or less the same time I usually leave for work so not too bad at all. Flight is at 9am and we should be landing around 1pm. Can't believe this time tomorrow we'll be installed at the hotel, in fact Mr SA's hire scooter is arriving at 4pm. Hate leaving the dog although DD has got the week off work to look after her and she's supposed to be clearing out her bedroom too.

Will catch up with you all when I get back - behave yourselves
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Sep 16, 5:16 PM
    • 44,821 Posts
    • 155,233 Thanks
    beanielou
    Have a lovely holiday
    Enjoy the sun. ��

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 28th Sep 16, 8:38 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Thanks Beanie - just having a cheeky glass of red before an early night

DD is taking cat to vets Friday when she gets paid. Cat has got very sore looking tummy. My thoughts are maybe mange, she is always rummaging about on the banks at the back of our house where there are a lot of foxes. Told DD to keep back £50 of her board towards it as although the cat is officially hers she can't afford to pay out a lot for vet bills and the cat hangs around me not her to be honest. Fingers crossed it's something that can be cleared up easily. Every time we go on holiday we have vet dealings - it's unreal!
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 29th Sep 16, 7:10 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 2,461 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi SA
    If you are logging onto MSE when you are aware - happy holiday wishes
    Was reading through your diary - wow you and your family have been through such a lot - and you've coped so brilliantly. Mr SA is very lucky to have you.
    Have a wonderful time.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Scrimpy Goal - Emergency Fund - £10,000
    Currently: £6027.22 (25/11/2016)

My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"

NST: December 2016- NSDs: 1/15
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 29th Sep 16, 7:52 PM
    • 7,610 Posts
    • 41,373 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Happy holidays! Enjoy every moment.

Hope the cat is ok Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in November- 1

Weight loss - 1 stone 3.5lbs
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 1st Oct 16, 7:32 AM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hello all. Bought hotel wifi for the week but can only get it on one item so writing this on phone. We're having a fab time, weather is hot and sunny. Mr SA had a couple of falls yesterday but is ok.

DD took cat to vets yesterday - cat has flea allergy, Frontline not working this year. Very common this year, they've seen loads. Cost DD £91!!! Antibiotics, flea stuff, etc. Hopefully will work.
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 2nd Oct 16, 3:14 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 11,826 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Happy Holidays SA!!!!!! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Oct 16, 8:03 PM
    • 44,821 Posts
    • 155,233 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all going well & it is hot!!!

• mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 6th Oct 16, 8:40 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 11,826 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Are you back home now SA? xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 7th Oct 16, 8:36 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hello all - we got back last night. We had a lovely time, weather 30 degrees and sunny all week, slight glitch Tuesday morning when it was spitting with rain a bit but still hot and the sun came out in the afternoon. We didn't make the most of the all inclusive, we ate out nearly every night and only had about 3 drinks, but the hotel was great, huge apartment with self catering facilities, the staff were great and so helpful with Mr SA. Also Jet2 were brilliant helping him boarding the aircraft at both airports, even swapping our seats to medical ones on the return flight. Came back with nearly €100 as everything is so cheap. Bought loads of stuff and could've spent more to be honest, everything is so cheap in the shops. Will probably roll over the euros to the next holiday rather than cash in. Aiming for Mr SA's birthday next April all being well and finances permitting. Depends on how much re-mortgage will be. Must crack on with this, house is desperate. I know I shouldn't really spend on holidays when house needs doing but ....

I would honestly move to Lanzarote if I could I absolutely love it and feel so at home there.

Back down to earth with a bump - got to fill in Mr SA's ESA re-application, form looks pretty straightforward and don't really foresee any problems. We've got plenty of medical evidence and if they decided to interview him it would be evident he can't work - sadly as he would love to.

Dog and cat survived being looked after by DD and no foxes in the house or blown up ovens this time. They are both very pleased to see me.

Spent most of today cleaning up, washing and unpacking. Mr SA didn't get up until 11am and has been wiped out all day. During the night he got up to go to the loo and I don't know what happened but I guess he didn't make it in time and I had quite a bit of cleaning up to do in the bathroom and on the hall carpet this morning - not great

Sorted finances today and we'll survive until next payday if we're careful. Got my new work contract through for my TUPE transfer only 3 weeks to go and I'll be official
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 7th Oct 16, 9:16 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 2,461 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Hi SA

I'm so pleased you had a wonderful holiday and that things were easier for you in looking after Mr SA - I'm sure your time away did you both a world of good.

Great that you managed to keep your holiday spends down (unlike me!) .

Won't be long now till your new contract!

P.S Glad to hear pets are all ok and gave you a good welcome home!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Scrimpy Goal - Emergency Fund - £10,000
    Currently: £6027.22 (25/11/2016)

My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"

NST: December 2016- NSDs: 1/15
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 7th Oct 16, 9:41 PM
    • 44,821 Posts
    • 155,233 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you had a fab time.
    only 3 weeks to go~~excellent

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 7th Oct 16, 10:17 PM
    • 7,610 Posts
    • 41,373 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Glad you had a fab holiday, sorry about the ESA forms and toilet accident though.

Yay to no foxes or oven catastrophes Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in November- 1

Weight loss - 1 stone 3.5lbs
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 8th Oct 16, 10:22 PM
    • 6,278 Posts
    • 29,921 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Good to have you 'back' and so glad you had a great hols xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    New debt: £10,000 0% ;
    Declutter 50 items before 31.12.16 xx/50 ** LSDs Target 10 for December xx/10 **AFDs xx/17
    **NSDs Target 6 for December xx/6
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Oct 16, 4:08 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 16,328 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Hello all, been busy all weekend, yesterday DS and family came round for a few hours and today we took the dog to a park about 30 minutes walk away and were out a couple of hours, followed by Aldi shop. Mr SA has been asleep since lunchtime and has declared he doesn't want to go on holiday again as they make him too tired. He did nothing all week!!! I was the one walking miles after his scooter.

Have filled in the ESA form, just got to read through it again and photocopy the medical evidence. If in doubt, a good portion of the people I work with are ex-DWP, so I could ask one of them. It was one of them who told me 3 years ago that Mr SA was eligible for ESA as I didn't think he'd be entitled to it with him being self-employed.

VSP now stands at £673.14 although I have to take some money out of it for the wine advent calendar I bought myself yesterday.

Have made a huge batch of vegetable stew for my work lunches next week. Got to get back on the WW waggon from tomorrow onwards and will be going back to the gym tomorrow too.

Boo - back to work tomorrow
    Debt free date 31/01/15
    Weight loss 9.5/14
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,138Posts Today

6,044Users online

Martin's Twitter