Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Energy > Water Bills > Moving a water meter - help!!! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

  • Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

    Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

  • No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Moving a water meter - help!!!
Closed Thread
Views: 12,274
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
# 1
victoria7777
Old 08-05-2007, 11:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2
Default Moving a water meter - help!!!

does anyone know about moving water meters?
would it be the water board who moves them and how much would this cost?

I have a water meter under the kitchen sink, but want to move the kitchen sink and therefore the pipes and meter.

A friend said they would have to drill throught the floor and move it or put a bend in the blue pipe to move it a couple of feet sideways, he siad this may cost 1000!!!!

Is this true??
victoria7777 is offline
Report Post
# 2
Cardew
Old 09-05-2007, 8:15 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 23,018
Default

Even at the rip off prices some plumbers charge, £1,000 would be way over the top. £100 for a simple job like that would be more like it.

I suspect there is small print somewhere forbidding you to tamper with the meter. The water company may allow you to move it and they will inspect it afterwards, or they might nominate a plumber.

If you just moved the meter without informing the company I doubt if the meter reader would ever notice, and unless your consumption dropped off, who would know?
Cardew is offline
Report Post
# 3
lindens
Old 09-05-2007, 9:34 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 1,781
Default

It depends which area you live in but most water meters are now fitted next to the main stop tap outside in the drive/pavement/road. You need to phone the water company to install a new meter in this little box outside as described above, this is the meter you will then be billed on. Your plumber is then free to remove the old one entirely, make sure the water board made a note of the final reading on the old meter too!
You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
lindens is offline
Report Post
# 4
deanos
Old 09-05-2007, 3:25 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 10,283
Default

The simple answer is ring the water company, don't move the meter without permission as its illegal and you could get prosecuted, would you move a gas or electric meter without permission ?
deanos is offline
Report Post
# 5
lapat
Old 09-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindens View Post
It depends which area you live in but most water meters are now fitted next to the main stop tap outside in the drive/pavement/road. You need to phone the water company to install a new meter in this little box outside as described above, this is the meter you will then be billed on. Your plumber is then free to remove the old one entirely, make sure the water board made a note of the final reading on the old meter too!

whoooooooooah stop misleading the lady.....no water company will come along dig up your little box and fit you a new meter for free especially if you have one fitted internally...a meter install at boundary is in excess of 500 for the box and meter.the only time its free is when you dont have a meter and you are requesting to go on a meter

1...speak to the water company and tell them what your plans are they will come out and inspect the location and you will have to be precise to where you want it moving.

2...as for tampering with the meter you can actually remove and refit a water meter as long as you dont break the seals on the meter itself.

3... a plumber can move the meter and the meter reader only has a location of under sink and its serial number when he visits . thats when there not estimating the readings. as long as this still all tallys you shouldnt have a problem. but whatever you do make sure the meter goes back in the right way as you will not get any water as they are not like other meters they dont spin backwards unless they have been opened.
need to have a lightbulb moment
lapat is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to lapat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
lindens
Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 1,781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapat View Post
whoooooooooah stop misleading the lady.....no water company will come along dig up your little box and fit you a new meter for free especially if you have one fitted internally...a meter install at boundary is in excess of 500 for the box and meter.the only time its free is when you dont have a meter and you are requesting to go on a meter

1...speak to the water company and tell them what your plans are they will come out and inspect the location and you will have to be precise to where you want it moving.

2...as for tampering with the meter you can actually remove and refit a water meter as long as you dont break the seals on the meter itself.

3... a plumber can move the meter and the meter reader only has a location of under sink and its serial number when he visits . thats when there not estimating the readings. as long as this still all tallys you shouldnt have a problem. but whatever you do make sure the meter goes back in the right way as you will not get any water as they are not like other meters they dont spin backwards unless they have been opened.
I'm not being misleading - I work for the water company and this is true of my area and several other water companies! I didn't say it was definately true - I told her to ring her water company, which others have also told her too.
I think you'll find the meter remains the property of the water company and a plumber CANNOT move it
You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
lindens is offline
Report Post
# 7
lapat
Old 14-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindens View Post
I'm not being misleading - I work for the water company and this is true of my area and several other water companies! I didn't say it was definately true - I told her to ring her water company, which others have also told her too.
I think you'll find the meter remains the property of the water company and a plumber CANNOT move it

are you not contradicting yourself here in your previous post you tell the lady that she can have the meter installed outside and you then tell her that a plumber is free to remove her old meter and then your saying in your last post they still belonged to the water company.

not sure what water compaqny your quoting here as none of them are allowed to have different policiys where meter installs and removals are concerned the only policy they can change for metering is where leakage is concerned and then they have to apply to the regulator for compulsary installing. every water provider also has to charge where a meter is being moved from its original install postion.and the little box at the boundary is called an aplas box these cost in excess of 250 to install due to them not coupling upto lead pipework so they usually always need a relay service aswell when installed with new mdpe pipework so thats where the 400-500 install cost comes into effect.
so this is why no water company will come along and just move your meter at there cost and yes they would prefer there original install at the boundary of the property as leakage on the property is then accounted for in there reportable leakage figures.
but nine times out of ten the original under sink install was put in due to the fact there was no little box at the boundary and they were not willing to fund the 400 plus install........................................... ...........thats my lesson for today over
need to have a lightbulb moment
lapat is offline
Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to lapat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
 
 




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 Forum Jump  

Contact Us - MoneySavingExpert.com - Archive - Privacy Statement - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 8:47 AM.

 Forum Jump  

Free MoneySaving Email

Top deals: Week of 22 October 2014

Get all this & more in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email full of guides, vouchers and Deals

GET THIS FREE WEEKLY EMAIL Full of deals, guides & it's spam free

Latest News & Blogs

Martin's Twitter Feed

profile

Cheap Travel Money

Find the best online rate for holiday cash with MSE's TravelMoneyMax.

Find the best online rate for your holiday cash with MoneySavingExpert's TravelMoneyMax.

TuneChecker Top Albums

  • ED SHEERANX (DELUXE EDITION)
  • SAM SMITHIN THE LONELY HOUR (DELUXE EDITION)
  • VARIOUS ARTISTSKEEP CALM & CHILLOUT

MSE's Twitter Feed

profile
Always remember anyone can post on the MSE forums, so it can be very different from our opinion.
We use Skimlinks and other affiliated links in some of our boards, for some of our users.