Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theplastickid
    • By theplastickid 2nd Mar 13, 12:20 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    theplastickid
    Sold a modelling portfolio and don't want it
    • 2nd Mar 13, 12:20 AM
    Sold a modelling portfolio and don't want it 2nd Mar 13 at 12:20 AM
    I went for a modelling portfolio shoot today at the London School of Modelling and all day they took pretty good care of me at the end of the day they pressured me into purchasing the photos that took.

I paid £500 upfront and signed an agreement to pay £1000 over the next year for 30 photos and a website.

I don't have the website yet and the photos are on a disc and have not been touched up and finalized yet.

I am really regretting this decisions and I want my money back but under the pressure of the sales person I caved.

Where do I stand with this? Can I get my money back? I am scared they will take me to court if I cancel the DD and don't pay them this extra £1000.

Really appreciate the advice.

Thank You.
Page 1
    • smileygill
    • By smileygill 2nd Mar 13, 12:35 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    smileygill
    • 2nd Mar 13, 12:35 AM
    • 2nd Mar 13, 12:35 AM
    Disclaimer: I'm definitely not a lawyer.

But you signed a contract. I expect they're used to this kind of situation and will have all the answers ready. Personally, I'd try being very, very nice, maybe even the odd light fib (circumstances changed, can't pay now, so sorry, etc) and hope someone there has a better nature you can appeal to.

Hard lesson, and one you won't forget.
    • theplastickid
    • By theplastickid 2nd Mar 13, 12:46 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    theplastickid
    • 2nd Mar 13, 12:46 AM
    • 2nd Mar 13, 12:46 AM
    I've been reading on this site and I think I may have a cooling off period:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-to-cancel-a-contract-without-being-penalised/
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 2nd Mar 13, 1:39 AM
    • 3,326 Posts
    • 2,706 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 2nd Mar 13, 1:39 AM
    • 2nd Mar 13, 1:39 AM

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/how-to-cancel-a-contract-without-being-penalised/
    Originally posted by theplastickid
    No comment or thanks to the poster above who has replied?
    Drives - MG ZT-T CDTi Auto
    Owns - Nothing, yet! House hopefully in a few years
    Gluten free as of 11/06/14!
    • purple.sarah
    • By purple.sarah 2nd Mar 13, 2:24 AM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 26,497 Thanks
    purple.sarah
    • 2nd Mar 13, 2:24 AM
    • 2nd Mar 13, 2:24 AM

Originally posted by theplastickid
    Unfortunately it doesn't look like it.

"You will only benefit from a cooling off period if the credit agreement was made in one of the following ways:
    1. For agreements signed away from the creditor’s normal business premises – i.e. at your home, place of work or at an exhibition stand
    2. For agreements made at a distance (online, by phone or by post)"
    http://whatconsumer.co.uk/cooling-off-and-cancellations/
    Make £15 a day in October: £28/£465

October NSD Challenge: 1/10
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 2nd Mar 13, 7:46 AM
    • 14,030 Posts
    • 18,705 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 2nd Mar 13, 7:46 AM
    • 2nd Mar 13, 7:46 AM
    No cooling off period as it was signed and bought on the premisis.

Presumably you wanted 30 photos of you on a disc and website? So just accept it was an expensive purchase, and suck up the cost.
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 2nd Mar 13, 7:52 AM
    • 11,277 Posts
    • 9,504 Thanks
    paddyrg
    • 2nd Mar 13, 7:52 AM
    • 2nd Mar 13, 7:52 AM
    Bought a modelling portfolio and don't want it

These sales tactics are not pleasant to be on the end of, but unless they physically lock you in the building, start hitting you, or pick your pockets you can walk away.

They spend money to have a studio, makeup, lights, photographer, etc etc so I guess you realised it was costing someone money and that they would want to make that back somehow? This is how they make it back - but you are free to take their offer or not. I don't believe 'I changed my mind' will be accepted as a reasonable reason to breach the contract you arranged.

If they arranged finance for you, don't stop paying that - it will likely be with a credit broker who will indeed chase it through courts etc.
  • Errata
    • 2nd Mar 13, 8:46 AM
    • 2nd Mar 13, 8:46 AM
    I can't see how you can get out of paying, but if you couldn't cope with the sales pitch it's unlikely you would cope with being a model, so you may have had a lucky escape.
    .....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 2nd Mar 13, 10:30 AM
    • 8,864 Posts
    • 6,274 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 2nd Mar 13, 10:30 AM
    • 2nd Mar 13, 10:30 AM
    Bought a modelling portfolio and don't want it

These sales tactics are not pleasant to be on the end of, but unless they physically lock you in the building, start hitting you, or pick your pockets you can walk away.
    Originally posted by paddyrg
    Even placing people at the doors (and therefore giving the impression you cant leave) is covered under aggressive sales tactics (a banned practice).

Stating that something is only available at a price for a short period of time in order to entice the consumer to make an immediate decision is also covered under banned practices.

However the OP really needs to read the contract they signed and see whether they are afforded a cooling off period as a contractual right first.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 2nd Mar 13, 12:45 PM
    • 8,547 Posts
    • 8,275 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    However the OP really needs to read the contract they signed and see whether they are afforded a cooling off period as a contractual right first.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    My guess is no!

(or we won't be hearing back from the OP).
    The problem with principles is sometimes they serve no purpose other than to make the holder of said principle righteously indignant. Righteous indignation doesn't get you a refund for your item, but I guess it allows you the opportunity to chunter away on the internet. Fluffnutter
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 2nd Mar 13, 1:11 PM
    • 8,547 Posts
    • 8,275 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    I fail to see how offering a product/service in returns for money is a scam.

They are paying £1,500 for a website and a portfolio.

There is no requirement in a contract for something to be a bargain - the price agreed by the parties is the contractual price.
    The problem with principles is sometimes they serve no purpose other than to make the holder of said principle righteously indignant. Righteous indignation doesn't get you a refund for your item, but I guess it allows you the opportunity to chunter away on the internet. Fluffnutter
    • somethingcorporate
    • By somethingcorporate 2nd Mar 13, 2:46 PM
    • 8,547 Posts
    • 8,275 Thanks
    somethingcorporate
    it's a scam because they will have told the OP that they needed the photos/portfolio/website and it would get them work as a model.

These are lies and that's what makes it a scam [contract or no contract].

Think about it....why would anyone spend £1000 on a website from someone unless the seller promised a benefit from it ...ie the seller/scammer lied.

Try google and see what the model scams are all about.

The scammers were barred from charging [aspiring] models for upfront fees for 'agency fees' and so moved onto providing 'services' ie websites [worthless]
    Originally posted by MonkeySavingExpart
    People have websites made about themselves all the time, if they go to a 3rd party to have these created no doubt they would have to pay for them.

Whilst some of the tactics may be underhand it seems odd to keep referring to this as a scam.

The people are told what they are buying and for what price. Where is the lie? Whether there is any benefit or not is largely irrelevant.

I know there are lots of unscrupulous people all over the place, there are a number of similar photo companies that apply a great deal of pressure (we see them all the time) but it still does not negate the fact that they are not really scams - they are just expensive for what they are.
  • gb12345
    do NOT pay a single penny to these thieves.
    This is the worst bit of advice I have heard on this site for a long while.

The OP has entered a finance agreement and if she doesn't pay then she will likely find out that her credit history will be trashed when they put defaults on it and will have to spend the next few years avoiding debt collection agencies contacting her.
  • gb12345
    it's a scam because they will have told the OP that they needed the photos/portfolio/website and it would get them work as a model.
    And now you're just putting words into the OP's mouth - nowhere did she say that was the case.
    • jumpedtheshark
    • By jumpedtheshark 2nd Mar 13, 3:31 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    jumpedtheshark
    I wonder if it might be worth the OP speaking to the Employment Agency Inspectorate for advice. Or to first tell LSM that she'll be speaking to the EAI if they don't cancel the contract the contract and refund her money?

On the London School of Modelling's website, they state they're an agency - eg. front page: "Join a top model agency". The EAI's website states that agencies are "breaking the law" if they ask for money when you first speak with them. I know OP gets a portfolio, but this might be argued to be an attempt to workaround the EAI rules. Here's the EAI's info: http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/tips-when-using-entertainment-and-modelling-agencies

If this route isn't successful, I can't see any other option than paying up and remembering to walk away from such sales tactics in the future.
    • lemontart
    • By lemontart 2nd Mar 13, 3:45 PM
    • 5,675 Posts
    • 7,180 Thanks
    lemontart
    scam or rip off - they are charging a fortune for this and not even provided the goods yet ...............did you give you timescale to have everything they are charging you for if so and now passed you may be able to get something back.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 2nd Mar 13, 4:04 PM
    • 11,823 Posts
    • 7,411 Thanks
    arcon5
    but they have provided part of the service.
  • gb12345
    On the London School of Modelling's website, they state they're an agency - eg. front page: "Join a top model agency". The EAI's website states that agencies are "breaking the law" if they ask for money when you first speak with them. I know OP gets a portfolio, but this might be argued to be an attempt to workaround the EAI rules. Here's the EAI's info: http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/tips-when-using-entertainment-and-modelling-agencies
    Originally posted by jumpedtheshark
    I must be looking at a different website to you, because I can't see anywhere they say "Join a top model agency". In fact I see the opposite "Whilst we are not a model agency".

Also your link is for a Gov dept in Northern Ireland - not much use when the company is in London.
  • gb12345
    and not even provided the goods yet
    Originally posted by lemontart
    Give them a chance - the OP only went yesterday.
  • Errata
    OP goes home, sees the untouched photos don't make him look like David Beckham, or any other male model, and has a serious bout of Buyers Remorse.
    .....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,121Posts Today

7,019Users online

Martin's Twitter